Mustang mods !!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
squalorrock
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Mustang mods !!

Post by squalorrock » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:53 pm

Hi all!

I've got an olympic white MIM Mustang from the Offset series (before mustangs/duo sonics were promoted to the Player series). Stock, it's barely a Stang- 3 way toggle and a Strat style hardtail bridge. Mustangs are by far my favorite guitar. This simply isn't a mustang though, and it'll be receiving some mods to make it more like one! In part posting about it for other's opinions, but also because I personally haven't found too much about people modding the modern mustangs really. I understand the appeal of a simplified mustang, but my main guitar is a very modded CV Stang and I've gotten used to the vintage style aesthetics and features.

Goal one is to add a dynamic vibrato unit to it. I've got a spare 9.5" mustang bridge laying around, just got to get the trem. Found one on amazon for almost $60, can't find one on Reverb WITH the screws for under $70. I don't use vibrato super much, but I'd like to have the option and there's just something wrong looking about a Mustang without that giant chrome plate.

I want to keep some aspects about the guitar unique to itself, so the three-way toggle will stay. I'm thinking an American pro style pick guard will do the trick, can get one off of WD music. I'm really torn between colors though. My main ideas are black, mint/white, or a flashier color, like purple, or blue. Fans of Sonic Youth may see where I'm going with this. Maybe would paint over a black or mint guard and pick the paint off! But the black guard with my maple neck would give it a 70s look to me, which I like.

I've fallen in love with all black mustangs, and although mine is white, I do like the look of the black guard and black pickups. It's mysterious, like you can't see what's going on there. Leaning towards black, but just saw a white mustang with a mint guard and three pickups yesterday on Instagram so my head is really spinning about that. ANYWAYS!

I'm considering adding a third pickup with a mini-toggle for on/off, if that's possible I'm not sure. Would probably give it its own volume knob? And possibly not have a tone knob? Or could go Cobain with it and add a third knob like his Jag. In terms of the third pickup, I've got a few ideas. Leaning towards a silver Lace Sensor, but honestly I just really want a lace sensor anyways and this is a way to get that. Also considering humbucker ideas. My other mustang has a hotrail in the bridge, so a single sized HB is definitely something I'm interested in. I really like the punk look of the SY mustangs that have a middle full size humbucker. That's probably not what I'll do in the end, but it's still in the mix. Alternatively, could move the stock bridge pickup into that middle position and get a pickup to replace it in the bridge. The stock pickups aren't my favorite, but still sound pretty nice especially in the middle position.

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang mods !!

Post by Nudger » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:41 am

squalorrock wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:53 pm
Hi all!

there's just something wrong looking about a Mustang without that giant chrome plate.

Yup
Hope we get a before n after ;)

I luv a mint guard with oly..

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:46 pm

I still take umbrage with calling a hardtail a mustang. The hardtail, 2 pickup, student offset has always been a Duo Sonic.
She/Her

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:33 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:46 pm
I still take umbrage with calling a hardtail a mustang. The hardtail, 2 pickup, student offset has always been a Duo Sonic.
It's why I call my partcaster a Must-O-Sonic. :w00t:

Body is Mustang, neck is Duo Sonic. :ph34r:
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

squalorrock
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by squalorrock » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:09 pm

That green and gold combo looks awesome!!

Updates on the Stang: got all the parts, took it to luthier today. Went with a black pickguard, it was like half the cost of mint and ultimately more the vibe I wanted. Also went with a Lace Sensor silver for the middle, with a black cover to match the stock pickups. Was really going back and forth between silver and purple, but I think the silver was going to take the guitar in a different direction where the purple would ultimately just be a hotter pickup. Using a MIJ (I think, can't remember after seeing them all) dynamic vibrato, and using a bridge+thimbles from another project. If anyone knows where to get Mustang trem arms that have options for the colors of the tip, please say! When the Stang is done, I'll upload pics.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:14 pm

Gordon wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:33 pm
hulakatt wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:46 pm
It's why I call my partcaster a Must-O-Sonic. :w00t:

Body is Mustang, neck is Duo Sonic. :ph34r:
I remember the first time you posted this. That finish has aged incredibly nicely. I also am still dying to try the Magnatron in something like this.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.