Your view on Saylor Thinline Jag bodies

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Nico
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Your view on Saylor Thinline Jag bodies

Post by Nico » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:37 pm

Hi, I have this crazy 66 Musicmaster II neck and want to match it with something special, like a thinline jag. I see that Saylor is an option...

I'd like to get your opinion on this body or an alternative. I don't mind the flat top but the round over could be a little rounder (if structurally possible).
If you have one to show, please do post 'em :)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Your view on Saylor Thinline Jag bodies

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:19 pm

Depends largely on the kind of finish you want and how good you are at such things/how much you’re wiling to pay someone else to do it.

The weight is less than I expected based on the one currently on ebay.

The weight of most of their solid bodies would be an immediate dealbreaker.

The Bloomdoom bodies are the most appealing cheap option to me, but the contours aren’t super accurate.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:28 pm

I ordered one. Cost extra to get it finished because it was so rough when it arrived that it needed quite a lot of sanding. It was a decent weight. Unlike the thinline bodies of Deed_Poll, it had no contours, which ended up being quite a bit more unpleasant to play than I was expecting. I really enjoy the contours on an Offset body, apparently.

All in all, it was fine for the money but I won't be doing another build with one.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:31 pm

We're at the opposite end of the market compared with Saylor, and that's not to denegrate their product at all! But since you asked for a show and tell, here's our approach to the formula.

We do the top and back separately, then 3D profile the inside cavities before joining them, then cutting the corresponding surfaces on the outside leaving a consistent thickness for the top and back and around the f-hole.

We do a bunch of other stuff, like leaving little bumps in the underside of the top so the pickguard screws have some decent material thickness to bite into; and a couple of other things as standard like angled neck pocket, dog-bone vibrato route, extra large area contours and so on. But then, we're a lot more pricey because it's a huge amount of work to make one of these the "right" way, as I see it!

Our bodies are compatible with AVRI / MIM pickguards and other parts, plates, thimbles and so on. We will route for whatever pickups, bridge, neck pocket and controls you want at no additional cost.

Anyway, cheers and good luck!

Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Nico
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nico » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:09 pm

Thanks for tip guys!
Yeah, I might want to hold back for one of Deed's masterpiece, omg, wow! :) (I PM'd you, btw)

I can get my way around lacquer, yes, but I see that Saylors might ship out with deep tooling marks (which is a pain to work with a block and sandpaper)

I kindda liked the blocky look of Saylors but I can also imagine how awkward it could feel too. A jag can maybe pass but I wouldn't consider a Jazz as the longer scale is already a challenge to work with.

Nico
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nico » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:11 pm

Deed, btw, is it just me or the belly cut is overly deep/wide? Either way, I think it's freakin' amazing.

camilonava27
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by camilonava27 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:36 pm

Nico wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:11 pm
Deed, btw, is it just me or the belly cut is overly deep/wide? Either way, I think it's freakin' amazing.
The belly cut looks pretty deep, looks awesome to me!

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:10 pm

Just popping in to place a vote for Guitar Form (deed_poll)

I'm sure the Saylor bodies are great, but Dan truly has a one of a kind way of building these that is second to none IMO. His Marauder bodies are some of the most well made, sleek and comfortable feeling bodies ive worked with, hands down, so i can just imagine how great his thinlines are!
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:25 pm

Nico wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:11 pm
No and yes!

The belly cut depth is a little shallower than vintage spec, but we make up for it by cutting them much larger area. IIRC, our belly cut is almost 3 times the size of Warmoth's by area. So the overall volume removed is probably a bit more than vintage.

Vintage contours are kind of a funny thing - especially on Jags and JMs, they are much deeper in the belly than in the arm. We basically even this out so the arm is a bit deeper and the belly a little shallower. Whenever I design contour models, I am always thinking about the shape / thickness around the edge of the guitar that is carved out by the contours.

Anyway, I hope that answers your question! Cheers,

Dan
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

d-rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by d-rock » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:22 pm

I've purchased a few bodies from Saylor over the years (no experience with their offset thinline though). Beautiful wood but they are straight off the CNC. You'll have to put a decent bit of work in on your part to get the contours rounded and tooling marks out before finishing. The cheaper prices are a reflection of that, but the wood is good.