Bridge pickup placement for offsets

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
BW13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Bridge pickup placement for offsets

Post by BW13 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:29 pm

Hi all, dunno if this has been asked already,
(If so sorry for spamming)

So we all know the myth about pickup beneath 24th 'harmonic' fret, and i must say theres something i
Absolutely hate about 24 fret guitars (not only useless two) but the neck pickup sound always seems off to my ears.

So here's a story: i had roadworn jag, sold the guts, bought burns tri-sonics, 500k pots, .0047cap, ditched rhythm circuit, but after i sold old stuff i lost pickguard template somewhere so i cut new one by hand and ruler measurments, neck pickup just sings, but the bridge pickup was too close to the bridge and it had less sustain, very thin sound and lower volume, cuz of the neck shim (tri sonics are quite shorter than og jags...)

Then i went with humbucker (though i don't like hunbucker sound at all) it's a custom wound based on jb trembucker, though it's too much gain for me (the fuzz sounds are so midrangey you almost get on the distortion territory , i would rather go with paf (not sure yet) or hum sized p90.

P.s. i went with rings to move humbucker rout slightly up ... Couple mm-s

As we know h90 coils are centered so i'll get even higher on the neck side with h90 than og jag pickup was, but in general how you would measure the sweetspot of bridge pickup (like 'harmonic' 24th fret)

I know saddle placement would change the game on any guitar but i don't mean dead on measurment, just close to it.

P.s. sorry for talking like i'm with the shrink but ocd's matter

Tia

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bridge pickup placement for offsets

Post by countertext » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:56 pm

I’m 99.9% sure that Leo Fender moved bridge pickups back and forth on tester bodies until it “sounded right” to him in contrast/combination with the neck pickups.

I don’t personally know the numbers, but someone here has or could direct you to measurements of the bridge pickup locations on Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Mustangs etc.

I don’t even know myself if the relative locations are the same for them on 25.5” and all the 24” models. Hopefully someone will chime in. However, I think the “sweet spot” is that place where Leo liked it, very simply.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:22 pm

I have a tool in AutoCAD with tons of pickup's center locations marked at their positions relative to scale length. No two pickups share the same location. Some are really close though. No pickups align with particular string nodes as far as I can tell either. I don't want to make assumptions about any of the original designers' intents. But I do know that the design process is a series of decisions and compromises.
Doug
@dpcannafax

BW13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BW13 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:03 am

I get you but where ('harmonic' wise) it would be? I mean concidering scale

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:38 am

I’m not sure that information is readily available.

A lot of OSGers have Jazzmasters and Jaguars and Mustangs (I don’t), and if one of those folks happens to read this thread and is willing to pull out a ruler, hopefully they’ll tell you how far the pole pieces are from the bridge or the 12th fret or the nut. But then you would probably need to compare that measurement (the proportional location on the length of a string) to a chart of string harmonics, and work it out on your own.

If anyone has already done that here, they coincidentally don’t seem to be reading this thread.

If you figure it out, make sure you post it here!

BW13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BW13 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:44 am

Yep, i have jag , jazz and mustang but i dont' know which measurment to take or where that mistery fret would be ;D

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:21 pm

Because it's impossible to tell what you're actually asking for in the OP. A bridge pickup wouldn't be anywhere near a theoretical 24th fret.

I'd place it where it looked the best/most balanced in terms of the overall guitar design.

The harmonic/node stuff seems to go straight out the window once you actually start playing the guitar and fret notes, worrying about this stuff never made any sense to me and seems to be an internet forum phenomenon.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:13 pm

countertext wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:38 am
A lot of OSGers have Jazzmasters and Jaguars and Mustangs (I don’t), and if one of those folks happens to read this thread and is willing to pull out a ruler, hopefully they’ll tell you how far the pole pieces are from the bridge or the 12th fret or the nut.
From 12th fret wire to centre of polepieces on bridge pickups:

2008 MIJ JM-66BB Jazzmaster: 283mm (11.15")
1964 Jaguar: 271mm (10.67")
1964 Mustang: 268mm* (10.55")

*Pickup is angled so I took an approx mean average roughly in the middle between the D and G strings

Make of those what you will.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

BW13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BW13 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:26 pm

Thanks man!