JM-Sized Humbuckers vs Classic Humbuckers?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
averic03
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

JM-Sized Humbuckers vs Classic Humbuckers?

Post by averic03 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:01 pm

So I'm relatively new to posting here but I've lurked for a while and I always see these JM-sized Humbucker pickups like the Novak Wide Ranges
What is the practical difference between this and a classic Fender-style wide range humbucker? Seeing as I've recently gotten into winding pickups, I'm assuming they are just slightly thinner and wider than a typical humbucker, but WRHBs are already thinner and wider than a typical humbucker.

I'm asking because I've seen plenty of builds where people have routed out fresh bodies for Novak WRs instead of a normal WRHB, and I was wondering if there's a reason for this besides aesthetics.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JM-Sized Humbuckers vs Classic Humbuckers?

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:06 pm

averic03 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:01 pm
I'm asking because I've seen plenty of builds where people have routed out fresh bodies for Novak WRs instead of a normal WRHB
Not really. Novak's 'JM-WR' offerings are the exact same footprint as normal Jazzmaster pickups.

Any 'off the shelf' body will have this routing pattern for the pickups.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:30 pm

Wide Range humbuckers (not just Novak's) are bigger in size than a "traditional" or "PAF" sized humbucker.

And was mentioned above, the JM-sized WR requires no routing when going into a jazzmaster style guitar.

averic03
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by averic03 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:25 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:06 pm
Not really. Novak's 'JM-WR' offerings are the exact same footprint as normal Jazzmaster pickups.

Any 'off the shelf' body will have this routing pattern for the pickups.
javier-san wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:30 pm
And was mentioned above, the JM-sized WR requires no routing when going into a jazzmaster style guitar.
Sorry, I don't think I explained what I was asking properly. What I'm saying is that I have seen people route bodies with no previous routes (body blank), or get custom routed bodies, specifically for a Jazzmaster pickup, but instead of mounting JM pickups, they would mount the Novak WRHBs. What I'm saying is that I am wondering if a specific attribute other than aesthetics has anything to do with it.

For example, I wouldn't take a body blank and route for Fat Cats if I want a P90 tone.
javier-san wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:30 pm
Wide Range humbuckers (not just Novak's) are bigger in size than a "traditional" or "PAF" sized humbucker.
This is what I meant when I said "I'm assuming they are just slightly thinner and wider than a typical humbucker, but WRHBs are already thinner and wider than a typical humbucker."

I should have been more specific, what I was meaning was that both the Novak JM-WR and Fender WRHBs are thinner and wider than a typical humbucker.

Sorry for the confusion.

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:18 pm

This is what I meant when I said "I'm assuming they are just slightly thinner and wider than a typical humbucker, but WRHBs are already thinner and wider than a typical humbucker."

I should have been more specific, what I was meaning was that both the Novak JM-WR and Fender WRHBs are thinner and wider than a typical humbucker.

Sorry for the confusion.
Fender (and others) WRHBs are taller and wider than typical humbuckers by about .100"-.125" (1/8"ish).

And if I remember the dimensions correctly, jazzmaster pickups are as tall as a humbucker and longer.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:24 pm

averic03 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:25 pm
Sorry, I don't think I explained what I was asking properly. What I'm saying is that I have seen people route bodies with no previous routes (body blank), or get custom routed bodies, specifically for a Jazzmaster pickup, but instead of mounting JM pickups, they would mount the Novak WRHBs. What I'm saying is that I am wondering if a specific attribute other than aesthetics has anything to do with it.
I would imagine it gives them the ability to mount other JM/JM sized pickups in the future, whereas if your route a blank body for Wide Range pickups you're locked into a comparatively uncommon pickup footprint.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:26 am

Yeah, in other words basically all other pickups fit in a jazzmaster body route, but you need a bit of extra depth for humbucker legs and the like. Then you can just switch pickguards to change pickups. It's kind of an alternative to the "swimming pool" route for strats, in a way.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

averic03
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by averic03 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:00 pm

bodhi wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:26 am
Yeah, in other words basically all other pickups fit in a jazzmaster body route, but you need a bit of extra depth for humbucker legs and the like. Then you can just switch pickguards to change pickups. It's kind of an alternative to the "swimming pool" route for strats, in a way.
Veitchy wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:24 pm
I would imagine it gives them the ability to mount other JM/JM sized pickups in the future, whereas if your route a blank body for Wide Range pickups you're locked into a comparatively uncommon pickup footprint.
Gotcha, makes sense. Thanks for the answers!