Most Reliable Custom Guitar Neck Manufacturer?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mick jagstang
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Most Reliable Custom Guitar Neck Manufacturer?

Post by mick jagstang » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:47 pm

Hi all, as I'm starting a new project, I'll need a neck to go with it. I want to order a custom neck because I like to apply my own Tru-oil finishes as well as painting the headstock, and I can't be arsed to sand an existing neck down to bare wood. I'm ruling out Warmoth and Best Guitar Parts because the former doesn't offer a 7.25 radius, and the latter doesn't offer block inlays. My desired specs are:

24" scale length (what else were you expecting ;D )
7.25" radius
Maple with rosewood fretboard
Dual acting truss rod with headstock access
Vintage or Medium Jumbo frets (stainless steel not required)
Block inlays, but no binding

I've gotten a neck like this from BYOGuitar before, and it works well, but I couldn't help but feel like the fret slots were cut too deep, because on most frets there was excess space under the frets at the edges of the fretboard. I'm considering ordering from Musikraft, but I've heard their customer service response times are horrendous, and while I trust that 99% of their necks are well made, I'd rather have a backup. Are there any alternatives to Musikraft anyone can attest to?
Last edited by mick jagstang on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Most Reliable Custom Guitar Neck Manufacturer?

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:04 pm

I’ve ordered 6 Musikraft necks. They are all fantastic. Never had an issue with CS either. Delivery times might be longer than you want, but man, they do amazing work! Just got my most recent one a few weeks ago.

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Most Reliable Custom Guitar Neck Manufacturer?

Post by JackFawkes » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:34 am

Yeah, it's probably gonna be difficult to find many alternatives to Musikraft... (though I'm excited to hear if there are any!)
I also agree, that customer service is pretty great; just give them a call during business hours.

Wait times can be a little long though; most recently I placed an order on January 21st, and it shipped out on May 4th... so, 15 weeks?
Personally I don't think that's unreasonable, it only feels like a long time.

Jack