Meteora body in pine,...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Afrika61
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Meteora body in pine,...

Post by Afrika61 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:20 pm

Just placed an order for a Meteora body in pine.
I've never worked with pine before so does anyone know of a good tutorial for applying a finish to pine, in this case black?
Thanks in advance!

Afrika61
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Meteora body in pine,...

Post by Afrika61 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:40 pm

Monday night bump,....

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:54 pm

I don't know much about Pine but I'd ask on TDPRI. Pine Telecasters were all the rage at one point. There is probably a wealth of information there.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:12 pm

It really depends on the kind of finish you're after - if you find pictures of what you'd like to achieve, we can give you pointers on how to get there :)

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:20 am

epizootics wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:12 pm
It really depends on the kind of finish you're after - if you find pictures of what you'd like to achieve, we can give you pointers on how to get there :)
Yup. Both guitars below have pine bodies. Very different types of finishes!

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:32 am

Pine isnt especially different from other guitar woods in any huge way. Its not the tightest grain wood out there but it will take less grain filling than say Ash to get a level smooth finish. Like others have shown above Pine is popularly used without grain filler of any sort for the grainy look on the Novo, but by slapping enough material on it, you can build up a nice glossy smooth finish like any other wood.

This is (i think) the only pine body ive sprayed so far. Pine seems to definitely be a popular choice for tele-type builds
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW_kILfPndU/

If your pine is "Knotty" pine, youll likely need to do a bit of extra grain filling to hide the knots, but many builders like Rosser apparently use CA glue to reinforce larger knots so this might be somewhat done for you already depending who is building your body!
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by threewordname » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:19 am

If you get a particularly soft piece of pine, you'll want to be aware of any hard surfaces that you put it down on, or if you're brushing away sanding dust, be aware of any rings you might be wearing. Soft pine might also require glue drips into screw holes to harden things up.

Afrika61
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Afrika61 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:47 pm

copacetic wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:32 am
Pine isnt especially different from other guitar woods in any huge way. Its not the tightest grain wood out there but it will take less grain filling than say Ash to get a level smooth finish. Like others have shown above Pine is popularly used without grain filler of any sort for the grainy look on the Novo, but by slapping enough material on it, you can build up a nice glossy smooth finish like any other wood.

This is (i think) the only pine body ive sprayed so far. Pine seems to definitely be a popular choice for tele-type builds
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW_kILfPndU/

If your pine is "Knotty" pine, youll likely need to do a bit of extra grain filling to hide the knots, but many builders like Rosser apparently use CA glue to reinforce larger knots so this might be somewhat done for you already depending who is building your body!
Actually the finish in the picture is pretty much what I after aside from the color(which will be black).
From what my admittadly bad eye sight can tell, that finish is glossy but not overly so: I've never been a fan of high glass finihes to be honest