Single coil size humbuckers or something else in CV jag

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Ceepers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Single coil size humbuckers or something else in CV jag

Post by Ceepers » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:59 am

Hey all

Lurk here a lot but rarely post…….

After some ideas / experiences. I’ve just swooped on a bargain CV jag on eBay. Been GASing after a black jag for ages.

I already have a VM jag with the fender 65 pups in so I have classic jag covered.

I’ve also got a couple of jazzmasters , one of which has p90s in it as well as a gretsch with filtertrons and a epiphone es335 with PAf style humbuckers in

I play in a covers band and generally play one of my offsets. I don’t really want to duplicate what I have already and I can see an attraction band wise to having something with a bridge humbucker / darker rockier sound but a janglier single coil neck pup ( I think changing / playing multiple guitars a lot a small pub gig is a bit too “precious” ) so……

Are the CV pups different enough to the AV65 to keep them in?

Anyone have any experience with single coil sized humbuckers or would I just wish I’d done the routing for a full size?

Is there something that sounds ( ish )like a filtertron in a single coil size - I like the brightness of the gretsch vs the darker paf style buckers but it feeds back way to hard to gig much!

Your learned opinions please!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Single coil size humbuckers or something else in CV jag

Post by sal paradise » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:29 pm

I’ve used hot rails in a strat & a couple of different hot wound singles in a Tele. All sounded great.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:27 am

In general I've always found DiMarzio's single coil-sized rail humbuckers to sound good, and there's a pretty broad spectrum of them to choose from to possibly fit the voicing you're going for.
Maybe a Chopper paired with either a Fast Track or an Air Norton S, depending on which direction you want to go?

Jack

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:04 pm

I have a Bullet Mustang with single coil sized Dimarzio Hot Rails :
Cruiser Neck (Neck) and SuperDistortion S (Bridge)

Very good combo - the Cruiser is very crispy and bright and the Super Distortion heavy in the mids

The Chopper is also a good choice for the bridge and the Fast Track 1 sounds good as a balanced neck pickup

Their website is very accurate with the output und EQ values of each pickup

camilonava27
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by camilonava27 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:16 pm

JackFawkes wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:27 am
In general I've always found DiMarzio's single coil-sized rail humbuckers to sound good, and there's a pretty broad spectrum of them to choose from to possibly fit the voicing you're going for.
Maybe a Chopper paired with either a Fast Track or an Air Norton S, depending on which direction you want to go?

Jack
I second this, rails are the way to go!

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:55 pm

I tried a Chopper/Cruiser combo in a Mustang, and something else they recommended after that, but I didn't like any of the lower output ones, they just seemed too thin and lacking character. The only one I really liked was the Super Distortion S, and maybe the Pro Tracks were borderline acceptable.

But I'd seriously consider routing and going with full size pickups you really want.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

1452L
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by 1452L » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:32 am

Are the DiMarzio rails pickups just a straight drop into a Jag?

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:45 am

I think DiMarzio makes them both with and without the traditional Strat style flange, so you would want the no-flange style. Still, with the shielded cable coming out of the middle of the pickup, it's a tight squeeze to get it into a Jaguar rout. The last time I tried to fit some into a Jaguar, I stripped off the outer sheath completely. Also, I vaguely recall that they're rather tall pickups, which might be a problem on some guitars. You'll need some different mounting screws, too.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

1452L
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by 1452L » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:44 pm

Thanks, sounds like a PITA to be honest!