Best WRHB/Single Coil combinations for Jazzmaster build

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Glumlord
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Best WRHB/Single Coil combinations for Jazzmaster build

Post by Glumlord » Wed May 25, 2022 12:02 pm

I finally decided to pull the trigger on jazzmaster build and came across an oxblood TVL body and neck on The Stratosphere and I'm looking for some advice on pickup combinations. I've done some searching through the forum and haven't found much talk about this recently.

I would like to try a Wide Range in the bridge position and single coil in the neck, but not sure which single coil will complement the WR best. I'm leaning towards the Lollar Regal and a SD Antiquity I. I'm currently running an Antiquity II in the neck position of my telemaster and love it to death, hoping the antiquity I will give me a bit of variety.

I know that the Novak JM-WR is another popular WR for Jazzmaster option, and would love to hear about how this compares to the Regal, and what SIngle coil option would be a good match for that one as well.

any advice you can provide on these combination or others?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best WRHB/Single Coil combinations for Jazzmaster build

Post by JSett » Wed May 25, 2022 1:11 pm

For many years I had a Creamery WRHB and an AVRI62. Sounded great to my ears.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed May 25, 2022 2:08 pm

I think a few winders out there do a kind of split single EXII type thing in a WRHB form factor, I feel like that would be a clean look visually and would keep the hum cancelling
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Wed May 25, 2022 5:48 pm

I currently have a Novak JM-HC Stealth in the neck and Novak JM-WR in the bridge on one of my guitars. It's a combination I have been really enjoying.

I have some Creamery WR Baby 71s (which are the same as his JMWR) and those are great, too. I believe those might be a better match if you're trying to go single coil neck and WR bridge , since he underwinds them when compared to "normal" WR pups (I think, 8k vs 10k)

Glumlord
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glumlord » Thu May 26, 2022 7:34 pm

javier-san wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:48 pm
I currently have a Novak JM-HC Stealth in the neck and Novak JM-WR in the bridge on one of my guitars. It's a combination I have been really enjoying.

I have some Creamery WR Baby 71s (which are the same as his JMWR) and those are great, too. I believe those might be a better match if you're trying to go single coil neck and WR bridge , since he underwinds them when compared to "normal" WR pups (I think, 8k vs 10k)
Thanks for your input. The difference in resistance is one thing I was wondering about. The Regal is 10.7 and the SD Antiquity is 8.2

Maybe they won’t balance in output?

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Fri May 27, 2022 1:44 am

I have a JM with a Novak WRHB in the bridge and a JMV in the neck. I really like the WRHB with gain and fuzz. A bit more pick attack than a Gibson style HB, which lends itself to high gain really well. It stays crisp and clear, without getting mushy. The neck is perfect for clean tones. Full bodied, warm, all the things we love about JM pickups.

The only thing I really miss from a stock JM, is the magical middle position, which is a really special sound IMO. That’s why I have two JMs, one stock and the other modded.

I know noise drives some people crazy, but it has never ben an issue for me. I don’t mind a bit of 60 cycle. Especially because I use the neck for cleanish tones, I never really encounter it much. Although I do use the neck pickup with my Superfuzz, but that has a bit of a gate on it, so that point is moot.

I unfortunately have never compared to the Lollar Regals, so I have no insight there.

EDIT

Oh, and as with most of the WRHBs I’ve encountered, the height of the pickup, and pole pieces is really important. I generally put the pickup down pretty low, and then adjust the pole pieces up closer to the strings. They like to be pretty close.

evanforbass
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by evanforbass » Fri May 27, 2022 5:16 am

I've always thought a JM with sc neck and WRHB bridge (standard WR, not in a JM cover) would be cool. I have Mojotone WRHB in my jazzblaster and I am very happy with them, a little more affordable than Lollar and others. In my JM I have a Novak JMV in the neck and it really is the best.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri May 27, 2022 6:03 am

I rolled for a long time with a Novak WRHB bridge and JM90 neck and loved that combination.

Glumlord
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glumlord » Fri May 27, 2022 7:45 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:44 am
I have a JM with a Novak WRHB in the bridge and a JMV in the neck. I really like the WRHB with gain and fuzz. A bit more pick attack than a Gibson style HB, which lends itself to high gain really well. It stays crisp and clear, without getting mushy. The neck is perfect for clean tones. Full bodied, warm, all the things we love about JM pickups.

The only thing I really miss from a stock JM, is the magical middle position, which is a really special sound IMO. That’s why I have two JMs, one stock and the other modded.

I know noise drives some people crazy, but it has never ben an issue for me. I don’t mind a bit of 60 cycle. Especially because I use the neck for cleanish tones, I never really encounter it much. Although I do use the neck pickup with my Superfuzz, but that has a bit of a gate on it, so that point is moot.

I unfortunately have never compared to the Lollar Regals, so I have no insight there.

EDIT

Oh, and as with most of the WRHBs I’ve encountered, the height of the pickup, and pole pieces is really important. I generally put the pickup down pretty low, and then adjust the pole pieces up closer to the strings. They like to be pretty close.
thanks so much for this detailed response! Your description of the JV-WR is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I switch between very clean and heavily overdriven sounds frequently, and I'm looking for a bit more tightness and punch in the bridge position.

Do you find that there's a big difference in output between the neck and bridge pickups? do they balance pretty well EQ wise? I haven't found any information on output or EQ curves of any of the Novak pickups.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Fri May 27, 2022 4:22 pm

They balance well enough. I tend to want more ummph from the bridge pickup, and with this combo, I rarely blend the two. I’m either on the bridge, or the neck. But there isn’t a massive difference in output when you switch between the two on a clean sound. The WRHB is certainly more compressed, and pushes things much harder. It sounds ok clean, but I’m never really a fan of bridge pickups clean anyway. Get a little gain going, and it really perks up.

EQ wise they aren’t leagues away from one another. Compared to a standard JM bridge the WRHB has more of a full body, and is one of the most balanced pickups I’ve encountered EQ wise. Not pushing alot of mids or bass like some HBs do. It also retains more pick attack, which we perceive as an inherent brightness, and is why I think it lends itself so well to high gain. That pick attack lets it retain a level of clarity, when other HBs would start to smear, and mush up the bottom end. But switching from bridge to neck doesn’t sound unnatural IMO.