Dropping in electronics/pickups into Vintera JM build

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Gregory Decernay
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Dropping in electronics/pickups into Vintera JM build

Post by Gregory Decernay » Mon May 16, 2022 5:39 pm

Hi all, I’m currently doing a build with a Vintera JM body. I have a set of Fender ‘65 JM pickups and a wiring harness, to which the pickups have been attached already. My question is, is it possible to just drop in the pickups and screw them down and attach the wiring to the pickguard and be done? Or is there an additional piece I’m missing?

Thanks!

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Re: Dropping in electronics/pickups into Vintera JM build

Post by ohm-men » Tue May 17, 2022 10:49 am

I think it would be helpfull to have a pickguard at hand to put the pu's and screws in the correct position. But other then that, it's an easy job.
I would suggest to drill pilot holes with a thin drill bit and use some candle wax on the pick up screws as the set that comes with the "65 set are not the strongest and can break while screwing them into the guitar body....or strip their heads...
Also use the correct srew bit for these....

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Tue May 17, 2022 12:03 pm

If you mean is there any other wiring you need to do, then yes - one thing. There needs to be a ground connection from something the strings touch to ground on the wiring loom. It may already be there in the body - look for a small wire going into a hole heading towards the bridge thimbles or the trem. If it’s there, you can check continuity with a meter to check it’s connected at the other end. That wire should solder to any convenient ground position on your loom - the back of a pot is typical.
All the cheeses....

Gregory Decernay
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Gregory Decernay » Tue May 17, 2022 12:09 pm

Thanks for the replies! I have a pickguard set to go, so that will be good to go. And yes, it was the ground that you mentioned that I was overlooking. Won’t be a problem, but that was the one thing that seemed to be bugging me as the thing I forgot to consider. I think the body I’m getting might have one already, but I can see the wire on my other JM, so should be easy to address.
Thanks again!