Issues with a body from well-known shop

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Issues with a body from well-known shop

Post by CaptainCrunch » Mon May 16, 2022 8:54 am

I recently got a Jag body from a well-known-source for a project. I have a Jag they did that's great, and have seen enough of their work that I felt pretty good about it. In the course of the project,

A: The very expensive (for me, anyway ) custom neck took a very long time and when I got it was a serious letdown, not worth doing the matching headstock I wanted
B: I quit my crappy job
C: My wife had two unrelated emergency surgeries within weeks, plus all kinds of fun recovery time, plus screaming at insurance goblins
D: The very nice lady at the well-known-shop made sure to keep me updated and check in regularly

So after almost a year since contacting them and paying, I said "Just go ahead, sorry for the hold up, completely my fault" (which was completely true, I could have found time). I wasn't about to raise a fuss over the matching headstock I paid for but didn't use, because these very nice people waited very patiently. The body I got was a bit darker than I thought, but I can live with that. But the wear looks nothing at all like the other one I have, the ones I've seen in person, or all of the pictures I've seen. If someone told me they came from the same shop I wouldn't believe them. At this point, I feel terrible complaining, but also if somebody thinks my work isn't up to snuff I want to know.

Do I just acknowledge that this project is cursed and screw it together? Should I be the squeaky wheel that asks for some grease? I'm around the price of a Vintera deep on this, with a vintage tort guard and lux bridge/trem goosing the total a bit.

WWJD? (the "J" is for Johnny Marr, who seems like a good and reasonable dude)

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Issues with a body from well-known shop

Post by sal paradise » Mon May 16, 2022 9:03 am

If you’re not happy, talk to them. It’s absolutely ok to say you’re not sure this is what you thought you were buying body-wise & see what the options are.

I wouldn’t mention the neck if you’ve sat on that for a year.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?