CV JM bridge upgrade

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
shawn42
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

CV JM bridge upgrade

Post by shawn42 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:40 am

I have a Squier Classic Vibe 60s JazzMaster missing a bridge. Trying to get information about the stock bridge so I can better decide what I should replace it with. There are lots of options, from cheap to really expensive. I'm trying to find the right path, with startlingly little information. I know from official documentation that the neck radius on the CV JM is 9.5". But what I have not been able to find is any pronouncement on the string spacing at the bridge. From what I've read, there are 2 main possibilities. 52mm (2-1/16") or 55mm (2-3/16"). But as I don't have the stock bridge, I can't measure it myself. Is anyone able to confirm the spacing?

In a perfect world, I'd like to select a replacement that matches the neck radius, AND the string spacing. But can't seem to find out what the proper/stock spacing is. Most (all?) of the cheap alternatives seem to be 7.25" radius, or don't specify one way or the other, and are 55mm. The only ones I find that specify 9.5" radius are the more expensive ones, 52mm, from the AM PRO JM.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: CV JM bridge upgrade

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:09 am

the CV Bridge has 52mm spacing and a 9.5" radius. A Fender Am Pro bridge will look identical, but uses better quality materials, eg saddles are brass, vs zinc on the CV and the bridge itself is made to higher tolerances- the posts are less likely to sink- it is the best bang for your buck upgrade. Similarly, a Staytrem will give better performance and tone, but cost a little ($20) more. going way up market, there is Mastery, which many like, but works differently. A descendant bridge is also in the ballpark of the $180-200 price range, as is, I believe, the Halon.

the CV bridge is fine, but if you're irritated with the bridge posts dropping or think that the tone could be brighter, then you should consider upgrading it. if you're experiencing buzzing and high action, shim your neck before you upgrade the bridge. if you're still dissatisfied and want a little bling, get the bridge that catches your fancy.

shawn42
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by shawn42 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:20 am

I don't have any of those irritations, as I have no bridge at all. But hopefully fixing that soon. Thanks for the input! It's good to know that the CV JM stock string spacing is 52mm. That means my options are to try to replace it with stock (I've seen a couple of bridge/vibrato packages from CV JMs for around $40-50), or spend $90-100 for an AM PRO JM version. But what's not an option is one of the $20-25 bridges. As those, even the Fender version, appear to be 7.25" radius and 55mm spacing. Glad I didn't go chasing down that particular rabbit hole, thanks to this info.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:43 am

shawn42 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:20 am
I don't have any of those irritations, as I have no bridge at all. But hopefully fixing that soon. Thanks for the input! It's good to know that the CV JM stock string spacing is 52mm. That means my options are to try to replace it with stock (I've seen a couple of bridge/vibrato packages from CV JMs for around $40-50), or spend $90-100 for an AM PRO JM version. But what's not an option is one of the $20-25 bridges. As those, even the Fender version, appear to be 7.25" radius and 55mm spacing. Glad I didn't go chasing down that particular rabbit hole, thanks to this info.
I had one of the mustang bridges on a guitar I just sold- it’s possible to find them with a 9.5” radius, but they’re all 55.5mm string spacing. Ironically, that wasn’t a problem on that guitar, which was a standard series Jazzmaster HH, with a CV JM neck. I do prefer the am pro bridges and have found them for as low as $70, but $79.99 seems to be more common. A Staytrem is just $10 more, iirc.

shawn42
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by shawn42 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:50 am

It's wild to me that Squier appears to be putting what some would consider an upgraded Mustang/Stay-Trem style 9.5"/52mm bridge on the CV JMs as stock. As far as I'm aware, there are two JMs with the 9.5"/52mm combo, the AM PRO JM and the CV JM. And if you need to replace the bridge on that CV JM, your only options are $50 for scavenged CV JM stock, or $90 for OEM AM PRO JM. There's a gap in the market that isn't being filled; the cheap OEM 9.5"/52mm JM bridge. If it was 7.25"/55mm, I could get 3 different styles, for $20-25 all day.

Chadjohneto
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Chadjohneto » Wed May 11, 2022 4:00 pm

Check out the classic vibe hardware setups from stratosphere. It’s usually a Trem and bridge, but 40ish bucks. You will get the 9.5 radius bridge you are looking for.