Mastery Cyclic Pickups?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery Cyclic Pickups?

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:59 am

I could be wrong, and I don't have a lot of deep knowledge of this stuff, but this is from the article I linked to above:

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:02 am

And clearly there is 120 octane fuel, as you've shown... I still don't know exactly what it is, though.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:24 am

Seems like the high octane race fuel might be concentrated, you can see a video of these guys adding race concentrate to street gas and bringing the octane above 100%:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ5QjqP1THI

You guys know what is also high octane? Fucking Mastery pickups, that's what.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:38 am

I'd like to see some other people's ideas for alternative body styles that would look good with these pickups. That Harvester is kind of hideous, and the art style on the BilT isn't really my thing. So far the top choice seems to be just a Jazzmaster.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:46 am

Can I save on car insurance by switching my guitar's pickups to Mastery?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:47 am

tammyw wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:38 am
I'd like to see some other people's ideas for alternative body styles that would look good with these pickups. That Harvester is kind of hideous, and the art style on the BilT isn't really my thing. So far the top choice seems to be just a Jazzmaster.
I guess that before I would really want to see a new guitar designed around these pickups, I would want to know why any of this was being designed.

I tend to like guitars that are whole designs more than anything else, like a Firebird or Jazzmaster, which incorporated new technology into a new guitar.

I don't like change just for the sake of cosmetics, and since I haven't heard anything about these pickups, I kind of feel like they might just be purely cosmetically different.

But what do I know.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:13 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:24 am
Seems like the high octane race fuel might be concentrated, you can see a video of these guys adding race concentrate to street gas and bringing the octane above 100%:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ5QjqP1THI

You guys know what is also high octane? Fucking Mastery pickups, that's what.
*weird analogy of the week*

I think it's a bit like Milk (hah!, bear with me). 100 octane is, like, full fat unskimmed raw milk. 95 is semi-skimmed, 90 or below would be skimmed. When it comes to 110-120+ octane I guess its like getting full fat milk and dumping a load of extra cream in.

*end: weird tenuous analogy*
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:24 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:59 am
I could be wrong, and I don't have a lot of deep knowledge of this stuff, but this is from the article I linked to above:
A more-reliable source with better information:

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/gas ... -depth.php

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:24 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:47 am
I guess that before I would really want to see a new guitar designed around these pickups, I would want to know why any of this was being designed.

I tend to like guitars that are whole designs more than anything else, like a Firebird or Jazzmaster, which incorporated new technology into a new guitar.

I don't like change just for the sake of cosmetics, and since I haven't heard anything about these pickups, I kind of feel like they might just be purely cosmetically different.

But what do I know.
That's a fair position. On the other side, I probably have more than five different body shapes which are loaded with conventional humbuckers. I think it's fun to have different cosmetics for no other purpose.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:29 am

tammyw wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:24 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:47 am

But what do I know.
That's a fair position. On the other side, I probably have more than five different body shapes which are loaded with conventional humbuckers. I think it's fun to have different cosmetics for no other purpose.
I mean, I just got a pair of PAFs from Novak that look like JM pickups? Now I don't know where I am in this debate anymore!
She/Her

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:22 pm

haha, I reconciled this long ago by accepting that music is performance art, and in performance art the way your stuff looks matters. It's literally part of the art.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:35 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:22 pm
haha, I reconciled this long ago by accepting that music is performance art, and in performance art the way your stuff looks matters. It's literally part of the art.
They definitely should have full-length mirrors in guitar stores. If a guitar makes you feel like you look cool, you're going to enjoy it more. Fact.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:44 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:22 pm
We're entertainers! SHOWBIZ, BABY!!!

Brittany Howard is just an amazing singer and showman, for instance. And your sparkle Teles are perfect.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:59 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:24 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:59 am
A more-reliable source with better information:

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/gas ... -depth.php
I mean, I think I am getting the point of that article, that there are two testing methods to arrive at the minimum octane level, and that minimum octane value is derived by dividing the results of the two tests by 2.

I still don't see a direct contradiction that the octane number does not refer to a percentage of a whole, like the article I have linked to says?

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:00 pm

Thanks Mags!

And yes, she is truly great in pretty much every respect