DIY Celluloid Tortoise Knowledge Dump / Discussion

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
jmczaja
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: DIY Celluloid Spitfire Tortoise Knowledge Dump / Discussion

Post by jmczaja » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:47 am

This thread has been inspirational, thanks! I'd like to give this a try for my current Jazzmaster build. I'm a complete epoxy resin newbie. What dyes/tints are you guys using? I have Mixol tints on hand and was wondering if they work well with epoxy resin? Thanks again, great thread.

postboredom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postboredom » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:42 am

-
Last edited by postboredom on Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jordy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jordy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:12 pm

I don’t want to hijack this thread but I feel like we are back at the beginning. The only thing founded is that epoxy resin is the answer along with colors red, dark red and yellow (although some bring up amber and black). Some are posting what their projects are but they don’t tell exactly what product what they are using, the process of mixing, or which shade goes on first. I was hoping for a scientific-like approach. I realize we sometimes forget how we got there on projects as it is time consuming and forget everything that we did to make it. It seems like fine details are sparse and we are only seeing the end result. I felt OP was looking for a more nuanced way of learning to make tortoise. I am going to buy some epoxy resin and trial it on a pickguard blank w/b/w. If it turns out I'd happily make a video of start to finish and show the products I actually used. I think some of the ones pictured here did an amazing job.

powerdroid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by powerdroid » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:53 am

Well, after a long time not doing anything resin-related, I managed to get a few earlpilanz-guards from Ebay, and here's the first one on a jazzmaster I've been building for a friend. It's getting there there ( I'm trying to get that vintage tort look), but yeah, really hard to control the swirls and to avoid the blending of colours. All in all, I'm liking this one, still need to take it off for a proper sanding and polishing, and clean up the edges.
Anyways, it still don't look like the real deal!

And to comment the previous post, hope you went out and bought that stuff! I myself can't really take pics or notes when making this stuff, it's messy, don't want to touch my phone while doing it. It's also the great feeling when if it's working nicely and I'm seeing something I like forming, I just get immersed in it and everything else is forgotten. Or, it's a complete disaster and I'm just trying to make it work! It can be very frustrating seeing Oh it's great, I've got it now! .. only to come back to see if it dried like that, and it's just completely blended into a sticky red mess. I've just been trying to do it a bit differently each time, as the results vary.

Mika Rättö says Hi!

glennleaguesny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glennleaguesny » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:46 am

Looks so good dude!