Partscaster Jag

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
pL9577
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Partscaster Jag

Post by pL9577 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:03 pm

What started off as a pandemic project over a year ago is finally (mostly) complete. It's my first ever guitar build although I do have some experience with both woodworking and electronics in the past. As for guitars, I currently own a couple accoustics and an Epi Les Paul that I bought cheap about 4 years ago to get me back into playing an electric again. Previously, I had a beat up MIJ HSS strat with a Floyd Rose that I played in a terrible college band (I bought it used and never really liked it; it was never in tune and I sold it after I graduated, which was 20 years ago now).

I can provide more details and pics at some point if anyone is interested, but it's an AllParts neck, a body from BYOGuitar, and mostly Fender parts from there. I still don't have the pickup height right. I think the pickup routes on the body might be non-standard as the 1.25" mounting screws aren't long enough. Finding #4 1.5 screws is proving to be a challenge, but I've got a few more places to look. So, for now it sounds a little thin on my amp, but I'm optimistic getting the pickups closer to the strings will help. Otherwise, everything seems to work (rhythm/lead switch, volumes, tones, strangle switch, and pickup off/ons) and it plays awesome.

Someday, I'm going to tear it apart and refinish the body as I'm not totally happy with how it came out (I used crappy paint and I sanded through the clear on the bottom back edge, but otherwise, it came out pretty awesome. If I do end up refinishing, I might swap the pots with push-pull so I can do phase/series/parallel pickup stuff.

This site has been a huge help along the way, so thanks to everyone.