DuoSonic with TexMex neck pickup

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
nikboss
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

DuoSonic with TexMex neck pickup

Post by nikboss » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:13 am

Hi,
Fist of all im 51 year old that returned to guitar playing unfinished sympathy when i was 18 :) . I bought new Fender DuoSonic because i have very small hands and it neck and scale length suite me just fine. I play only at home in my free time and I wonder if i change neck pickup to TexMex neck pickup will i get bit fatter sound out of guitar.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: DuoSonic with TexMex neck pickup

Post by hexes » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:35 am

having a slightly overwound neck could help. I have the tex mex pickups in an old strat. the neck pickup is a little more gritty than usual strat pickups.

the neck plus bridge combination is pretty nice with tex mexes.

Somnospeed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: DuoSonic with TexMex neck pickup

Post by Somnospeed » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:18 am

Consider saving some extra cash and waiting for a decent set of Custom Shop Texas Specials. I have a set in my Road Worn Mexican Strat and it sounds so good, I ended up selling my Custom Shop '61 Strat because I could not justify keeping a $3,800 Strat that sounds basically the same as my $1,000 Strat when running through a Tube Screamer or my Texan Twang pedal. Just to give my opinion on the Tex Mex, they are better than any of the cheaper Fender pickups, in my opinion, but a few weeks of saving some additional cash would be worth it. I think you may agree if you listened to the two side by side. If you're like me and play neck pickup almost exclusively on a Strat, see if you can get by with two Tex Mex pups and a Texas Special in the bridge. It may be just what you're looking for.