This week at Copacetic Customs...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: This week at Copacetic Customs...

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:27 pm

These ALL look fantastic!! You do really nice work.

...But...
copacetic wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:40 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:49 am
I'm really excited to see some orange on here one of these days :ph34r: :D
And of course, last but not least we should be seeing some orange all finished up here in a day or so ;D
I'm a little biased on this one! Looking really good!! It'll be different in different lighting, but I think you nailed the color!!!

I gotta say, that's a pretty fast turn-around time. Do you cure the finishes in an oven or something? I was expecting a month or two, and it's only been a couple weeks.

Also, did any of it give you any trouble, prep-wise?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:50 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:27 pm

...But...
copacetic wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
And of course, last but not least we should be seeing some orange all finished up here in a day or so ;D
I'm a little biased on this one! Looking really good!! It'll be different in different lighting, but I think you nailed the color!!!

I gotta say, that's a pretty fast turn-around time. Do you cure the finishes in an oven or something? I was expecting a month or two, and it's only been a couple weeks.

Also, did any of it give you any trouble, prep-wise?
What can i say, I have basically no life other than working on guitars all day :D

The catalyzed poly i use is super easy to work with, it cures in 48 hours or less and gets a magnificent smooth lustre thats extremely easy to sand and polish out if you apply it properly. Ive taken my time and taken quite a few days away from yours completely here and there while working on other stuff, so im glad the turnaround is still a lot quicker than you expected!

The old finish did give me a bit more trouble than anticipated, but nothing too bad. There was a bit of cupping and exposed grain going on, which meant i basically had to strip the whole finish and give it a round or two of grain filler and sand it back a few times so i could get it as smooth and glossy as i wanted to. The carved access part by the heel gave me the most grief due to some wide grain lines coinciding with that spot, but Ive got that area looking fabulous now if i do say so myself!

Little post-stripping shot to show how much material was removed:
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:53 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:23 pm
Oh man, that Toronado is looking fantastic! I can't wait to see it all done up...

Also loving the Hello Kitty Stratocaster-inspired footwear! :D
Thanks man! Gonna look even better sanded+polished up!

Hahaha i didnt realize my kitty slides snuck into that pic. Might be hard to see but theyre flipping the bird LOL :P

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:45 pm

copacetic wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:50 pm
What can i say, I have basically no life other than working on guitars all day :D

The catalyzed poly i use is super easy to work with, it cures in 48 hours or less and gets a magnificent smooth lustre thats extremely easy to sand and polish out if you apply it properly. Ive taken my time and taken quite a few days away from yours completely here and there while working on other stuff, so im glad the turnaround is still a lot quicker than you expected!

The old finish did give me a bit more trouble than anticipated, but nothing too bad. There was a bit of cupping and exposed grain going on, which meant i basically had to strip the whole finish and give it a round or two of grain filler and sand it back a few times so i could get it as smooth and glossy as i wanted to. The carved access part by the heel gave me the most grief due to some wide grain lines coinciding with that spot, but Ive got that area looking fabulous now if i do say so myself!

Little post-stripping shot to show how much material was removed:
:D :D

That poly sounds incredible!! Sorry that it gave you a bit of trouble. I never put any sanding sealer or anything on before I stained it, nor did any grain filling. I'm not surprised that it needed a little work. Glad it wasn't too bad though!
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:02 pm

yooooooo! :w00t: (i have to get my squier VI in to you someday before you’ve completely blown up. it’s got heavy finish damage so would need a full strip.)
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

...But...
copacetic wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:36 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:27 pm
That JM / Coro build is sick! Where did you get that neck from?
Seconded.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:36 pm

hexes wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:02 pm
yooooooo! :w00t: (i have to get my squier VI in to you someday before you’ve completely blown up. it’s got heavy finish damage so would need a full strip.)
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

...But...
copacetic wrote:

I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon! Hit me up and bring on all the projects whenever the time is right!
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:36 pm
smjenkins wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:27 pm
That JM / Coro build is sick! Where did you get that neck from?
Seconded.
It was from a seller on eBay. I just checked his shop though and there dont seem to be anymore available. Came needing a little work to the frets and the nut needed to be recut a good bit, but a very nice neck all in all.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:17 pm

Aaaand another week rolls by like a freight train.... You know what that means! Another round of offsets have been gussied up and i've come here to make you all drool over them. Without further adieu....

This Jag was a custom build commissioned by a cool dude named Joel who wanted to create a budget friendly jag that would have the visual vibe and playability of a vintage model. We went with a used Classic Vibe body as its pretty much the most affordable way to get a nice jag body with all the plates, components and fairly good sounding pickups, and we used the existing sunburst finish to get the lovely custom color over sunburst look. The neck was swapped for an Allparts JGRO 7.25" neck that i lacquered myself. AVRI pickguard, Fender tuners and trem, mustang style bridge. All the goods you'd expect from a jag and more, dare i say! Finished in my version of Teal Green Metallic; Cadillac Firemist Aqua nitro! The checking really sets it off for me 8)

Speaking of rad Jags... Put this one together for Tim. KC jag, Descendant vibrato/bridge, custom Faction brushed steel plates, EP Custom Jag Pickups. Finished in light relic black nitro for the slightly less shiny vibe:

Jazzmaster fans never fear, i have you guys covered too! Another custom order, this one started as a Squier Vintage Modified model in sonic blue. I fully stripped and refinished it in aged Olympic White nitro, swapped a few parts here and there, and aged the hardware for a vintage patina. The idea was to base it off of a '61 as accurately as possible as Fender stopped using clear coat on white finishes in '62 due to the yellowing that would occur, hence the decal style, mint guard and aged clear coat. Went heavier than i ever have before on the neck wear but i think i managed to get it really nice, old and grimy looking without feeling grimy or sticky in any way--feels incredible and very smooth! This one was for a local customer and its always so cool to get to see the reaction to these custom pieces when they get picked up!

But we're not finished yet! Finished up Jason's (Shadoweclipse13) Capri Orange tele.. Its positively dripping with 70s mojo if i do say so myself!! Its not an offset, but the funky access carve and cool color make it fit right in with the rest i think..

Got two or three more that'll be finished up in a day or so ;)
Having a bout of super humid weather here in tx so im taking a few days off spraying to polish up some things that have been standing by!
Cheers! thanks for looking, as always
Last edited by copacetic on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:31 pm

Dude, you're smashing it!!
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:18 am

Man, those are SO good. I cannot wait to get my Tele back. "dripping with 70s mojo" is the description that totally sells me. Best compliment for a guitar I think :)

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:26 am

Wow! Absolutely stunning work my man! This place really really needs a like button.

Would you ever consider doing a separate post for each one of the guitars instead of including them all together? sometimes I think I’d like to ask a question on one of them but don’t want to have to copy the entire thing with all of the photos. Plus I’m too lazy to go back and edit all of that stuff out. It’s a giant pain in the ass on a mobile device. :fp: Sorry, just picking nits. ::)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:46 am

Norrin Radd wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:26 am
Wow! Absolutely stunning work my man! This place really really needs a like button.

Would you ever consider doing a separate post for each one of the guitars instead of including them all together? sometimes I think I’d like to ask a question on one of them but don’t want to have to copy the entire thing with all of the photos. Plus I’m too lazy to go back and edit all of that stuff out. It’s a giant pain in the ass on a mobile device. :fp: Sorry, just picking nits. ::)
I do most of my OSG-ing on my phone as well. If you quote a post, you can highlight a large chunk to delete at one time if that helps. I do that before I post it, so I don't have to edit it after.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:23 am

That Capri Orange looks great.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:31 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:31 pm
Dude, you're smashing it!!
Coming from someone who's REALLY smashing it, that means a lot ;D

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:23 am
That Capri Orange looks great.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:18 am
Man, those are SO good. I cannot wait to get my Tele back. "dripping with 70s mojo" is the description that totally sells me. Best compliment for a guitar I think :)
Glad the orange is a hit! All credit goes to Jason for his vision and impeccable taste in colors, im just the middle man to making it a reality!
Norrin Radd wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:26 am

Yeah i considered doing that at first, but at the rate im turning guitars around currently, id be flooding the forums with new threads constantly, so I figured i'd keep it all in one place. I could probably attach fewer pictures or perhaps downsize them a bit to make it easier on the mobile users. Im almost always viewing from my laptop so I dont think about how annoying it must be to scroll to the bottom if you reply to a thread lol.
Thank you for the kind words! Always cool to hear that people dig what ive been working on! :)

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:47 pm

Someone came into the shop this weekend, asking if they could get this guitar & showed this picture. Unfortunately, the Orbitals are sold out and we’re likely not getting any more. Chris DiPinto was away on vacation, but my fellow tech thought the paint job was rad.
copacetic wrote:
Welp, another week has flown by and another round of cool offsets (and some teles) have come through my humble little Texas shop. Without further adieu...

Finished up just last night, this krazy kool DiPinto Orbital in Lilac Purple with a Pink Sparkle painted pickguard and truss rod cover. Probably the wackiest refin ive done yet, but man this thing is glorious.