This week at Copacetic Customs...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
tr@shM4gik
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: This week at Copacetic Customs...

Post by tr@shM4gik » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:56 pm

copacetic wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:02 pm
Customer's Marauder body we sprayed in Evergeen Metallic nitro. Neck was made by Musikraft but they left off the sanded-in swoosh and sent the headstock flat. So i meticulously filed and sanded in a beveled swoosh to the best of my ability. Turned out stellar if you ask me!
That's my Marauder! It looks phenomenal! I love how the headstock swoosh came out.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:41 pm

Damn. Wanna see the latest instalment, but the pics aren’t loading for me!

I see the pics in every other post….weird.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:25 am

JVG wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:41 pm
Damn. Wanna see the latest instalment, but the pics aren’t loading for me!

I see the pics in every other post….weird.
Probably bc there are more pics on that post than ive ever put in one before :whistle:

Maybe give the page a minute to load and theyll show up haha
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:55 pm

Howdy Gang!

Trying to get back to weekly posting after letting my OSG activity slip. Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and warm "welcome back" (even tho i never actually left haha)

Got some really sweet stuff to share this week, most of which was teased in previous posts, but now i can finally share the glamour shots :)

Finished up Feelgood Guitars' newest model/shape: Gardenia. This is our take on an "S-type" guitar, for offset nerds like ourselves.
Finished in Lilac Frost Metallic nitro with a matching headstock, XII pickups and Offset vibrato (could also be made with a standard strat trem of course!) This is definitely one of my favorite shapes ive designed yet, and Boris did a fantastic job bringing it to life! 8)

Also finished up just last night: This rad Dreamweaver II sold within an hour of posting!! Roasted Poplar Guitar Form body, GFS Surf 90 Pickups (modeled after Dearmond Dynasonics), simplified switching, offset vibrato, Burgundy Mist Metallic Nitro. Eat your heart out :-*

Last but certainly not least! Had the pleasure of doing the paint work for a customer's RAD Guitar Form Marauder project in Coke Bottle Sparkle. Was only commissioned to do the paint work for this one unfortunately, as the owner is a mad scientist and wanted to play around with wiring/switching options and put it together himself. Still, i did a little extra work on the neck and fitted everyhting together so i could take the prettiest glamour photos possible. This finish took me over half a year to complete... Large metal flake is NO JOKE! Still, its pretty damn rewarding getting to see the finished product, even if i cant play it :squint:
NOTE: this is a Fender neck and the customer wanted a Fender decal installed which he sent along himself. It already said Fender before painting it anyways... Dont sue me Fender!!!

Thats it (for finished stuff with pretty glamour photos anyways) for this week! Hopefully next week i'll remember to make a post with the cool stuff that gets completed. We'll see :whistle:
Thanks for looking!!!!!

Group pics and another pic of Javier's starcaster build for fun:

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:00 am

These are all great! That S-type is the best iteration of an S-type I've ever seen! No Strat jack, better vibrato, more comfy-looking shape. Is it actually offset, or is it just with offset-accoutrements?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Daitong II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Daitong II » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:41 am

Always wonderful work. Was really sweating that burgundy marauder. The sparkle deal is very drool worthy.

Daitong II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Daitong II » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:04 pm

I know I'm not Copacetic but I had to share his latest YouTube video featuring my new Dreamweaver. Can't wait to get it tomorrow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCLwd0RAZ2I

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

Howdy gang! Been a while since i checked in so i thought id give everyone a little update on what weve been working on. There's a lot, so i'll try to just pick the highlight reel pics, but more pics can be seen on my instagram if you wanna more of any of these!

First off, as a general update, Ive been working basically 7 days a week since late january, as i got behind on work during the holidays and it started to snowball, with lead times dragging a bit for basically all of my customers. I am happy and relieved to say that Ive finally caught up (for the most part, with exception of a few things being annoyingly slowed down by humid, rainy weather) and hope to have a quicker, less stressed workflow now, which means i will be posting here more regularly and have more time to be a part of our little community. I was also forced to finally get a new phone after my old one finally crapped out on me, but the benefit of this is i got a nice new phone with multiple large hi-def cameras and tons of storage space, so I am able to make youtube videos with much more ease now, and my photos should look better than ever!

LONG PAINT RANT/UPDATE INCOMING FOR THE SPARKLE NERDS AMONG US:
I have also been working very hard on figuring out how to make large metal flake finishes more feasible so i can offer them again. As much as i love the look of large flakes, they are just such a pain to get them laid down flat, and as a result clear coating takes forever and builds up quite thick as you have to fill in the "valleys" between the flakes with clear coat to build up an even gloss finish. So with metal flake, getting them to lay down flat when initially spraying is the ultimate key to success.
I've tried spraying large flakes mixed in with clear coat (best option, lays down pretty flat, but really hard to get the right amount of flake to clear to air ratio, and clogs guns like nobodys business even with proper sized tips-- ruined 2 guns with large flakes, takes forever to build up an even coat, wasted tons of material and $$ and flakes in the process) and shaking flakes onto wet clear coat (works well, but the flakes dont land perfectly flat, leading to aforementioned peaks and valleys that need to be filled. Also leads to a lot of flake waste, and flakes need to be "smoothed out" in between coats -- lot of extra work and time, plus this method also takes forever)

But the one method ive never tried is a dry flake gun. These work by spraying a wet coat of clear like you normally would, then using a gun that just shoots air and flakes in your choice of color onto the surface. You can use higher air pressure when shooting the flakes dry as you dont have to worry about balancing your air to liquid output along with controlling the amount of flake youre spraying (easier and faster to get full, flat coverage) and the higher air pressure "forces" the flakes to lay down flatter supposedly. In the process of my research i also learned a bit about metal flake color theory, and how to use color-matched basecoats to allow the use of less flake to get full, even coverage. This is partly why i have struggled with many colors like Coke Bottle Green or Dark Blue Sparkle, as i havent ever found a basecoat that is quite a perfect match for these colors, and i have always gone either too light or too dark with it. By taking the time to find properly matched metallic basecoats, and finding a wider variety of colors of flakes from new manufacturers, i can avoid having to spray a WHOLE SOLID COAT of flakes to get full even color and coverage, and can use the flakes more as a topcoat/accent coat, leading to easier, flatter application and much quicker lead times and lower costs to boot, while still giving that huge gaudy metal flake flair...
So it would seem the one thing i havent tried, may be the key to success--at least for me-- with large flake sparkle jobs. Its clear everyone has their own favorite method to do these, but there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. I'm investing in a dry flake gun and doing better research on matched basecoats for all the sparkle colors i can dream up. Hoping to put sparkly guitars in more hands this year!
END OF PAINT BABBLING. lol

On to the guitars :-*

Speaking of sparkle guitars, you guys may have seen the new YT video Sonny posted to the thread showcasing his new 24" scale Dreamweaver II in Penny Sparkle. This was a really, really fun build for me as I got to experiment with a fun new color idea: Copper Sparkle. I was still dealing with limited colors of flake being available to me at this time, but there were some copper and bronze colors that fit the bill and were available in a small enough size to work without clogging like crazy. So i looked thru my swatches and found a really cool color code that matched the flakes perfectly IMO: Liquid Copper. Its technically classed in paint books as a metallic pink, but very much has a copper/penny vibe to it, so i thought itd bring a cool pinkish vibe to the finish. Im stoked with how it turned out to say the least! Even though these are "small" flakes, the sparkle on this one is LARGE! This proved my theory that you can get a much cooler and MORE sparkly result by actually using LESS flake and taking time to find a course metallic basecoat that perfectly matches the kind of color you want, rather than going with something thats "close" and getting it there with heavier coats of flakes. Other cool details on this one include: 24" scale length (Guitar Form innovation we were the first to try!), espresso burst neck finish, full size jazzmaster vibrato arm cut down to proper height to function with the mustang-style vibrato arm, and flat-pole handwound ToneHatch strat pickups with aluminum covers, top mounted to retain the jag vibe. All the chrome makes it look straight out of outer space! BIG thanks to Sonny for his trust on this one and letting us cook up something so rad 8)

That last photo brings us to the next completed build: This rad hardtail string-thru version of our Space Cadet in a new metallic burst finish called "Angel Burst" consisting of a rose gold metallic base with an angelic gold "halo" or burst. Matching headstock AND pickguard to just send it over the top a bit more! This one is also for a forumite, ainm! Always get the coolest ideas from you guys, i shouldnt be surprised anymore haha. XII pickups flipped along the "y axis" so the two halves are on opposite sides from how they normally are. Mustang wiring in place of the standard two slider switches. This turned out pretty cool so i'll probably make Mustang wiring the standard option now. Maybe 5.0 wiring to be a little different?
String thru hardtail with fanned ferrules that follow the shape of the lower bout. Inspiration here was the Squier Venus! Mastery Bridge perfectly guides the angled strings inward and makes for a rock-stable instrument. Really really pleased with the aesthetic of this one! Angel burst will have to be kept in rotation i'd say.

Another completed custom build: This one is a super modern take on a vintage mustang. Clean Satin Black finish, Satin finished roasted maple neck with black block inlays and binding. Vintage style mustang pups, vibrato and wiring, but modern neck feel and finish. I dont do a ton of NOS Satin finishes, but this one was fun to tackle and see how cleanly i could execute it.

Back to sparkle/refin land, I finished up this RAD Tangerine Dream Sparkle refinish on this Performer Strat owned by Wes, who was sent our way by the dude of all dudes Bango Rilla of GoGoRillas fame and OSG Forumhood. Another "small flake " job with a LARGE amount of sparkle from carefully choosing a metallic basecoat. The closet clean relic with finish checking just puts it over the top imo :w00t:

Another sparkly 6 string, this one has a bit fatter strings! Squier Bass VI refin in Turquoise Sparkle with silver metallic competition stripes. Possibly the first VI with racing stripes?? Ive definitely never seen one. Surely the first SPARKLE VI with racing stripes ;)
Itll be getting a full makeover once the owner gets it back with a black pickguard, new knobs, tuners, and pickups/black covers, so i can only imagine how sweet itll look after that!

Finished up a pair of refinish jobs for a fellow Texan, Jason, who clearly has great taste! Matched a headstock on his CFM jazzmaster and Sprayed Aged/ambered Light Burgundy Mist on his beautiful 66 jag. Also aged some reissue hardware on his jag to match the old stuff. Super pleased with how the color and checking turned out on the jag!!

As usual, Competition Mustang finishes remain my most popularly requested finish by far. So much so that im working on a pair of Compstangs to sell right now. The KC/Teh Kurdtz mania is so hot right now its silly, but i will shamelessly pump these finishes out as long as people desire them. After all, they ARE some of my favorite finishes of all time and partly why i got into painting guitars in the first place. Also pictured: a blue 69 telecaster i refinished for Classic City Guitars. Those Blue Boys look sweet side by side!! Bright LPB on the tele, Dark on the compstang

Another fun one from recent weeks: Chris Louck's (forumite HNB) Jagmaster build! I call this one Scarface because of the resemblance to the Scarface poster lol. Chris did awesome work on the pickguard and headstock painting, it looks even cooler than i imagined it would when he described the project to me. Full thread on his build here: Two-Tone Jagmaster

Did our first resin tort pour over a pearloid guard on our friend Sophie's Cyclone! Really cool 3D effect that dances in the light and has a transparent vibe like real tortoiseshell. I mixed up a bit too much resin so i eeked out another jaguar guard which was promptly snatched up my another friend of ours Steve for his custom Jag build my apprentice Tyson put together. Funny how things work out sometimes! We also matched the headstock and sprayed a tinted nitro gloss finish on the Cyclone's neck, but i neglected to get good pics of it as i was rushing this one out the door due to being behind.

90s MIJ Jazz bass came thru for a refin/relic treatment. Heavy aged sherwood green revealing the original sunburst underneath, aging job to hardware, pickups, pickguard etc, and a most unique detail: a Jaguar style mute install. Took a lot of fiddling to get it working properly on a bass, but the result is a really cool little doohickey that allows an easy thumpy motown style sound at the flip of a switch. Inspired by Sean Hurley apparently, although i had no idea who he was before doing this mod haha.

That seems like a ton, so i wont overhwelm you guys with too many more pics lol. But here are some cool things im working on you can look forward to seeing in coming weeks:

Thanks for looking as always! Sorry it was such a long post haha. I'll try to check in sooner next time so it doesnt turn out so collossal, but i thought you guys would enjoy everything here and didnt wanna leave anything out :freako:
Til next time!

Daitong II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Daitong II » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 pm

All amazing work as always dude.

I’m very happy with my Copper Sparkle Dreamweaver (the first guitar posted). The thing is so rad and sparkly. I’m surprised with the pickups. Strat quack with some bass. Really digging the guitar. Thanks again for the great build.

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:42 pm

You Sir, are a Wizard. Thanks for the photos and the write-up.