This week at Copacetic Customs...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: This week at Copacetic Customs...

Post by javier-san » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:34 am

We've chatted through instagram, but I'll say it here. Sending love and healing!
Grief is tough, but all you can do is take it day by day and be kind to yourself.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:38 pm

copacetic wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:22 pm
Howdy gang

This marauder is for THE dude, Adam Stringer (our own NoCamping_4U) who has been kind enough to send me like 10 projects this year. He was an early adopter of the marauder dream, and sourced this body and neck before Deed_Poll and myself were in the marauder game, so of course i had a ton o' fun chiseling the cavities and trying to make everything fit. A few booboos aside, its absolutely gorgeous. Behold, the most accurate replica of the 1966 prototype Marauder II that i believe has ever been built.. Original 1966 Grover/Fender pat pending "milk bottle" tuners (same set that would have been in Gene Fields' parts bin), 1966 pat pending mustang trem transplanted to Guitar Form plates, Curtis Novak pups custom wound to the exact specs of the original prototype's pickups (thanks Carlos Lopez!!!!!) and a gorgeous metallic blue nitro finish that was sprayed by someone else (MJT possibly?)
Read it and weep nerds!

Can't wait for this. Thank you so much! Sorry to hear of your loss. But your work and dedication is clearly appreciated here. I do think this really is the most accurate Marauder on the planet.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:41 pm

This will absolutely compel me to play this guitar. I had no idea I was so sensitive to color, but after months of not touching the FMS on this AV65 JM, I realized that I want to look at a yellow guitar. But not a loud yellow, and not glossy. Copacetic went out, sent me some swatches and held them up to the PG I sent (a very special Spitfire that looked awful on the FMS), and it turns out I had more of a beige in mind. I see this as faded yellow. Then when I described looking like on old Pinto, he suggested a satin finish which I instantly said yes to.

It feels SO GOOD, way way better than any glossy or varnished thing. I am going to put this together, hopefully I don't mess it up. I have only taken apart guitars, never really put on back together. But I can follow schematics and diagrams and solder decently. The left-right flip does get me on those switches on the jag, but this JM should be fine. It'll also gimme a chance to fire up the gun solderer which is always fun.

It's so much nicer than I could have dreamed, I love it so much. THANK YOU!! Super pooper reasonable rates and a quick turnaround! I went for poly so that helps the turnaround.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:06 pm

Here it is all dressed and ready to play!

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bango_Rilla » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:57 pm

Love it!!
Lover of offsets (and bananas!)

https://thegogorillas.com
https://instagram.com/thegogorillas

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:36 am

Howdy ya'll!!! Happy holidays to my OSG fam!

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the support and love i received both on this thread and in private. Its been a really tough couple of months but it does help reading your replies and knowing im understood and not alone in how i feel. I didnt wanna saturate the forums by replying to everyone individually, but just know i read all of your kind words and they provided a little respite in troubled waters. Thanks from the bottom of my heart. :-*

It was another busy week around here trying to finish up as much as i could before taking some days off for christmas. I think these are some of my best builds/finishes yet and feel like i will only keep getting better as i hone my skills and add new equipment and methods to my repertoire. Feast your eyes and enjoy!

First up, finished up my first nitro sparkle finished Marauder II! Purple/fuschia flakes over a black base, its simply stunning and as good as the pics are, they dont even do this finish justice!

Another Marauder II finished up this week, this time in super greened Firemist Silver nitro with a roasted flame maple neck. one of the coolest marauders out there if you ask me! Aaron S, who commissioned this one, owns one of the $10k Carlos Lopez builds and gave me the extreme compliment that mine plays and sounds as good as it looks and holds its own against the FCS version despite being 1/4 the price!

Had a bunch of those purple flakes leftover from the pur spark marauder, so i put them to good use on this 70s style Powermaster! Made some aesthetic choices i normally wouldnt with this one, like the black plastics, black humbuckers, maple FB neck with unmatched headcap, etc. It was cool to get out of my aesthetic comfort zone and mix it up a little bit.

This build has its own dedicated thread here where you can get the full deets on it. This one is a little christmas present to myself.. 1965-66 Shenandoah Acoustic neck (basically an electric XII neck with a slightly different heel), custom made body, Faction plates, Novak XII pups, gotoh bridge. Hands down the best playing and looking 12 string ive ever had my hands on, and it cost me a fraction of what a "real" vintage XII would have to build it!

speaking of christmas gifts, i guess ive been really good this year because it looks like i'll have ANOTHER unique vintage fender added to my collection. I scored this 1962 musicmaster for under $1000, making it a STUPID deal i couldnt pass up, especially given it was all original other than a stripped finish and headstock decal that got mostly torn off, making it a perfect candidate for a wacky copacetic refin. Thinking about making this one its own thread when its finished (probably next week sometime) but i also might just make a new thread showing off all the guitars in my personal stash since im sure you all would enjoy a tour! heres a teaser for now:

back to finished stuff, this Jimmie Vaughn strat came thru for a refresh. Shaved down the right side of the headstock to look more like a traditional strat shape, and resprayed the lacquer to hide the shaping. Refinished in gorgeous competition orange nitro with mustang style plastics, it has the full compstang vibe while giving new life to the customer's first "real" guitar!

Another competition finish, this one on an MIJ mustang bass! Went a little different direction with the colors going for dakota red with eggshell stripes. also painted the tort guard the same eggshell color since we couldnt find a good option for a premade white guard that would fit. Keeping the pinstripe on the edge while doing that was fun haha

Rad little jag refin in arctic white nitro. installed some firebird pups so of course it needed a "firebird jaguar" decal to complete the vibe!

Waiting for more pics of this one, but so sweet to see what Doug did with the Performer body i painted for his neice! Hopefully she will love it!!!

Rad mahogany powercaster body in Saturn Lilac Metallic with a semi-open grain look. Not a look i normally go for, but i must admit its really really sweet paired with this color and body shape!

un-yellowed Fender comp stang refin! my first time skipping the amber clear coat and going for a cleaner look. Gotta say, i dig it!

That about does it for now. i'll be back next week with more kool shit to showoff!! take care offsetters
Last edited by copacetic on Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:13 am

These are incredible! Especially that purple Marauder :? :?

Is it a trick of the light, or do 2 of those have some relicing on the back of the guitar on the tummy cut?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:39 am

Love that performer build, any more pics of it? Also Merry Christmas to all!
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:28 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:39 am
Doug
@dpcannafax

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:07 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:28 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:39 am
Fuck I want one now😛
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:48 pm

That purple sparkle Marauder is sensational!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:33 pm

gishuk wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:48 pm
That purple sparkle Marauder is sensational!
It's a total showstopper.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:28 pm

These posts are always so epic, it’s hard to know where to start!

My favourite of this bunch is actually the red Mustang Bass - one that might fly under the radar when up against all the metallic finishes.

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:54 pm

copacetic wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:36 am

Another Marauder II finished up this week, this time in super greened Firemist Silver nitro

A real beaut!! :freako:
Wish I got along with my marauder build.. let it go, for me it just felt a little awkward when sitting playing :(

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:44 pm

Wow, 2022 is over already. It seems like just yesterday i was starting this thread after lurking for years, and now i feel like a bona fide member of the community. I can't thank you all enough for all the kind words, fun conversations, ideas, and inspiration ive gotten from this forum. I love that this feels like one of the last bastions of the "real internet" where people are generally very kind and open minded and little niche communities can form and thrive. Lets keep this same energy moving forward and keep this a place that not only inspires us to nerd out over cool guitars but to welcome others with open arms and be better, more mindful people.

With the sappy new years stuff outta the way, ive got a cool little shop update for yall!

Finished up this Pistachio Green (Willow Green) nitro Marauder II build.. Dots and binding ftw!! First time using a jag/jazz trem on one of these and im really digging it, although i will always remain a staunch supporter of the oft-misunderstood mustang vibrato!!

Next up, finished this rad Coke Bottle Sparkle JMJM. This one has been months of work, as these large flake sparkle jobs have proven to be. I've unfortunately had to pause taking on orders for these due to them just being too time-intensive, ive blown past due dates on all of my sparkle finishes and thats never a good feeling. Gonna have to figure out a faster approach, because i know its possible to speed them up at least a little bit! Still, the results are incredible and i dont regret it in the slightest.

Rounding off the finished projects for this week, another little (literally) christmas gift to myself... 1962 Musicmaster i refinished in Faded Competition Orange nitro.. Full thread on it here

Thanks for looking gang! See you guys next year ;-)
Last edited by copacetic on Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars