This week at Copacetic Customs...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: This week at Copacetic Customs...

Post by copacetic » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:03 pm

Just a quick update this week, but a very very cool one. We had some super humid and rainy weather the past week or so preventing me from spraying much, so i only finished up one guitar this week as opposed to my normal 3+. I think this one gets 3 guitars worth of cool points regardless!

Proud to present my first Non-reverse Firebird/Jazzmaster hybrid! Probably my most complex and high-spec build yet, save for maybe my Marauders. Custom USA body with wide forearm contour added in for more comfort. Coronado neck, aged blocks and binding, aged shell pink nitro finish, handwound pickups, rotary 3 way with vintage 1960s pointer knob, custom designed pickguard cut by Jeff Porrento / Lomic Guitars. Its all here! Had to force myself to list it because ive been treating myself WAY too much lately, but I'd be more than happy to have this one stick around in the personal collection ;D

Last edited by copacetic on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:41 pm

I love that. The F really makes it!
We are merely moving shadows.

glennleaguesny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glennleaguesny » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:47 pm

So sick!!!

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:01 pm

Perfect shade of shell pink!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:25 am

copacetic wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:03 pm

Holy crikey wowowow :-* :-* :-*
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:28 am

Unbelievable, where on earth are you getting all these Coronado necks from?
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:12 am

I saw that pop up on Reverb yesterday. I’ve been thinking about this sort of project for a while, love it!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:01 pm

That's just fantastic.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:48 pm

copacetic wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:25 pm
Been a while since my last check-in but rest assured I've been cooking up lots of good stuff lately :freako:

FINALLY finished up this Coke Bottle Sparkle Jag i first posted waaaaay back on page 3 or something like that. These larger flake sparkle jobs take forever but Ive switched to using Crystalac Brite Tone Water-based Poly for my sparkle finishes which can be applied thicker than other clear coats ive worked with and has sped these up a good bit. Still many weeks if not months of work to nail them, but I'm improving with each one I complete!

Made a dedicated thread for this one but incase anyone missed it.. Finished up this little treat for myself.. Eastwood Maverick Custom heavily modified and refinished in Iris Metallic Nitro :-*

Just last night i finished assembling this guy.. Jazzmaster XII custom build in Aztec Gold. Did so much work to this one it really deserves its own thread. Plays and feels amazing and I think I pretty much nailed the vintage yellowy hue of Aztec Gold!

Did a quick and easy poly refin in Fiesta Red for my pal Jeff over at Lomic Guitars. We used his 90's Jagstang for reference when mixing the paint and he tells me the color looks exactly the same!

Thats all the finished stuff for now, but i'll be checking back in soon with more rad offsets to share. Keep it Copacetic until then Gang!
be careful with the Crystalac: if you spray it too thick, it will yellow. I'm currently redoing two guitars because of that. one of them, I'm just going to spray in Sherwin Williams Automotive Low VOC clear so I can knock it out in a weekend. I had no idea what was causing it and thought it was stains in the body leeching through, until I talked to Linnea at Crystalac and she conceded that in spite of their "no yellowing" claims, Brite Tone will yellow if applied too thickly. so the process that I've come up with has been spraying 30 coats over the course of 10-15 days, then letting it cure for 30 days before I sand and polish. I'm also using their reducer, which increases drying time between coats, but forces me to spray lighter applications and self-levels a bit better..

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:17 am

copacetic wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:25 pm
]
Just last night i finished assembling this guy.. Jazzmaster XII custom build in Aztec Gold. Did so much work to this one it really deserves its own thread. Plays and feels amazing and I think I pretty much nailed the vintage yellowy hue of Aztec Gold!
Beautiful!
Your checking work (on this one and others) is very impressive!

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:07 pm

Yeah make a topic on that Jazzmaster 12, brother!
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:59 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:07 pm
Yeah make a topic on that Jazzmaster 12, brother!
I just may.. it really does deserve its own thread with how much work went into it!

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:31 pm

Howdy gang! Been super busy for the past couple weeks but i have lots to show for it! I think you guys will find this weeks update quite tasty..

Finished up this rad Jag Stang "done right" last night, smells like teen spirit "compstang style." This was my first attempt at spraying a metallic burst, and my first attempt at probably my all-time favorite Fender finish, competition burgundy. The colors i used here are a bit too light (particularly the purple) to be accurate to the vintage finish, but it looked too cool, i couldnt bear to spray over it. So i'm calling this color "light comp. burgundy" and have since perfected the colors to nail the vintage hue (dont wanna post it until its polished and assembled, but scroll to the bottom for a little teaser ;) )

Next up, finished up this Jazzy for our own Nocamping_4U! This Warmoth build was a craigslist find someone had abandoned. We initially planned to refinish it until i saw it in person and saw how amazing the color of the body was. We regrouped and decided to color match the headstock as the seller told me the body was already a nitro finish anyways, and it looked so good already. So i custom mixed some paint to match it (turned out perfectly imo) and sprayed the headstock. Of course i had already checked the lacquer on the headstock face when i went to do the same to the body and realized it was actually not a nitro finish and wouldnt check no matter what i tried. Not wanting to waste the gorgeous headstock refin, we settled on spraying the body in nitro clear coat over the poly finish and checking that. Worked out great imo, and this turned out to be a really sick guitar!

Lastly for the completed builds this week is this amazing custom-ordered jazzmaster in Faded Shell Pink. Chris (pretty sure hes a forum member) hit me up on instagram and commissioned the jazzmaster of his dreams. Custom Faded Shell Pink nitro finish, D&B rosewood neck, Porter Pickups custom handwound set with Wide Range JM in the bridge, Rhythm circuit wired to control bridge pickup only instead of neck, and a push pull volume pot to split the Wide Range HB into a single coil. Lots of blood sweat and tears went into this one, but i got the pleasure of handing it to him in person and seeing his reaction. Always great to see a vision like this come to fruition!

Thats all for this week, folks! I'll check back soon with more cool stuff ;)
Last edited by copacetic on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

pawnzito
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pawnzito » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:49 pm

copacetic wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:03 pm
Just a quick update this week, but a very very cool one. We had some super humid and rainy weather the past week or so preventing me from spraying much, so i only finished up one guitar this week as opposed to my normal 3+. I think this one gets 3 guitars worth of cool points regardless!

Proud to present my first Non-reverse Firebird/Jazzmaster hybrid! Probably my most complex and high-spec build yet, save for maybe my Marauders. Custom USA body with wide forearm contour added in for more comfort. Coronado neck, aged blocks and binding, aged shell pink nitro finish, handwound pickups, rotary 3 way with vintage 1960s pointer knob, custom designed pickguard cut by Jeff Porrento / Lomic Guitars. Its all here! Had to force myself to list it because ive been treating myself WAY too much lately, but I'd be more than happy to have this one stick around in the personal collection ;D

Pretty sure this one made it to my city. Saw someone post it last week.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:27 pm

copacetic wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:31 pm
:?
That is something special right there.
Doug
@dpcannafax