This week at Copacetic Customs...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: This week at Copacetic Customs...

Post by CROSS_guitars » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:33 pm

So much guitar pron.
Can't stop looking at my Olive green drab Musuabastard!

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:10 am

smjenkins wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:17 pm
Just want to say congrats to Christian. Another of his builds has been featured in the Reverb "Trending this week" blog post.

https://reverb.com/news/the-most-watche ... ic-guitars

Just saw this myself and came here to remark about how rad that is.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:54 pm

An Amazing achievement! I wonder how many people have ever topped Reverb's most wanted TWICE!?
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:18 am

Congrats man on making the reverb most watched list twice, you really are an inspiration! I'm always really impressed by the custom finishes you produce, they really add to the unique nature of offset guitars.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:58 pm

Thanks everyone for all the kind words regarding the reverb feature! Someone definitely seems to be a fan of mine up there :)

Back again this week with some cool finished stuff to show off!

Starting off, a monumental first for Guitar Form and myself, we've completed the first EVER (to my knowledge) 24" scale Marauder style guitar. Sprayed in heavy relic tahitian coral over shell pink nitro, this one really has that aged, broken in look and feel. Custom musikraft neck, handwound pups, black switches. plays like a million bucks with a smooth dynamic vibrato that holds tune expertly, almost was a shame to box it up :?
Dan says these will be an available option on the Guitar Form site soon, so plan on seeing lots more 24"scale marauders in the wild!

Next and last up for the finished stuff this week, a build i have been absolutely ecstatic for since i started sourcing the parts... This USA Alder body and awesome aged pearloid pickguard were made by our own ThePearDream aka Doug Cannafax of Fax Guitars, and the work is exquisite as always. I wanted to find a nice neck to pair it with, but readily available pre-made XII necks are rare as hens teeth, so when I stumbled upon this '67 Coronado XII neck, I almost fainted. It was admittedly in somewhat rough shape and was missing its original nut, tuners, and string tree, which I didnt necessarily factor in when pricing it out. I made an impulse offer which I thought was a lowball, but was accepted and thus I ended up overpaying for the neck a fair bit after i went through the disheartening process of sourcing two original sets of F tuners (the lefty set alone was almost $200!!!) and a string tree. I made the nut myself from a curved bottom blank, by far the most involved nut job ive done in quite a while. It was a very tricky nut to make due to having to be perfectly sized and shaped to fit in the slot between the binding without damaging the binding or popping it out of place w/ too much pressure. Then of course slotting 12 perfectly spaced out slots is a challenge in itself! All that being said, I'm very proud of how it came out, and several people have said the nut looks identical to the original, or like its been there for years. I should have known this would happen the minute i saw the neck, but now that this one is complete, i cant imagine parting with it; its just too perfect!! I also really dont want to sell my Tideburst XII, but i dont know if i can stomach owning two "vintage" 12 strings and hoarding all the goodies like that, so my tideburst Shena XII may have to go...

Jangly buddies :)
Last edited by copacetic on Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unsui » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:10 pm

Ok, so first I see your coral 24” scale Marauder, and I love that scale, so what’s one kidney sell for on the dark web ?
Now that XII pops up in my feed…
Incredible work, good sir. Love the story behind putting that beauty together !
Finish the task

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:56 pm

Great job, you are very talented, but pointing to your for sale threads is borderline against the rules.

The idea is that as proud as you are of your company or product, there shouldn't be any selling or hinting of selling outside the for sale area.

Not sure if that has changed lately, but it was always like that before.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:56 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:56 pm
Great job, you are very talented, but pointing to your for sale threads is borderline against the rules.

The idea is that as proud as you are of your company or product, there shouldn't be any selling or hinting of selling outside the for sale area.

Not sure if that has changed lately, but it was always like that before.
my bad, i removed the bit mentioning the guitar shop thread. I dont post here to try and sell anything, just to share what im working on with people i expect might enjoy it, and i try to keep even that contained to this thread. I guess I got carried away with my word vomit explaining the story of the build

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:22 pm

I mentioned because ive seen it in a few posts actually. Not to worry though, im sure the people that want your stuff will either pm you or find it in the for sale area. Again no offense intended, and i'm a fan of your work.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:38 pm

The 12 string GAS is strong now... thanks :?

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:37 am

Youve knocked it outa the park again with this XII, body n neck look like they came off the line together 8)

As youve got both a Shen n Coro neck together in person, is there any chance you could supply a XII nerd the nut widths?
Just for future reference.. never know, I may get lucky and land one myself "one day". ::)

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:01 pm

Nudger wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:37 am
Youve knocked it outa the park again with this XII, body n neck look like they came off the line together 8)

As youve got both a Shen n Coro neck together in person, is there any chance you could supply a XII nerd the nut widths?
Just for future reference.. never know, I may get lucky and land one myself "one day". ::)
As you may know, vintage fender necks were offered in a variety of nut widths within the same model, and this can be indicated by the letter at the end of the stamp on the heel on electric necks. There's no stamp on vintage bolt on acoustic necks like the shena, so measuring is necessary if you're buying a neck to use (heel width is different as well). Ive only had the one in my hands so i have no idea if the acoustic necks had varying widths as well or if they were all pretty much the same profile due to less focus being placed on the line in general. In my case, the nut width was 1.71" on the Shena, which is just a few hairs shy of their "C" width (1 3/4"). Full measurements of my shena neck are on the build thread here if you ever get curious about building one of your own: Shenandoah XII Build

The Coro neck is a B width example (1 5/8") so its fairly slim especially for a 12. This has advantages and disadvantages imo. I have small hands so the neck profile generally feels nicer and makes me stretch a little less, but this is also quite a narrow width to squeeze 12 strings into, and even though i did my best to slot the nut with the octaves closer together and the spacing between each pair of strings as wide as possible (only left a sliver of meat on either side of the e's), it still gets a tiny bit cramped feeling when you get into shredder territory because the frets are so small in addition to the tighter spacing/width. Still, i think I prefer this neck, especially after i spent the better half of an afternoon fiddling with the setup to get it as light-touch and easy playing as possible (setup with EB 12 string slinkys-- 8-40 gauge to emulate the tension/feel of a regular set of 10s) it just feels, looks, and sounds so dern good, i cant imagine letting it go.

It did highlight to me that the Shena neck is actually really killer in its own right. The wider spacing definitely has its advantages when you get to the upper register, it feels a little easier to distinguish where each set of strings begins/ends and you generally have a little more room for doing stuff like jazz chords. Its not overly wide or thick like the Chinese Aliexpress XII neck i reworked a few months back (which was 1 7/8" width), its kind of perfectly in the middle. It feels different enough that im kind of considering keeping them both to myself and using them for different vibes/moods, but that feels a little gluttonous lol ::)

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:27 pm

copacetic wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:01 pm
Nudger wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:37 am

the nut width was 1.71" on the Shena, which is just a few hairs shy of their "C" width (1 3/4").

The Coro neck is a B width example (1 5/8")
Thankyou so much for the comprehensive run down! :)

Now to convert to metric.. :D

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:16 pm

copacetic wrote:
It feels different enough that im kind of considering keeping them both to myself and using them for different vibes/moods, but that feels a little gluttonous lol ::)
I feel like you should probably stick to a maximum of one 12-string. Save some for the rest of us!

;) ;)

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:19 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:16 pm
copacetic wrote:
It feels different enough that im kind of considering keeping them both to myself and using them for different vibes/moods, but that feels a little gluttonous lol ::)
I feel like you should probably stick to a maximum of one 12-string. Save some for the rest of us!

;) ;)
Seriously. What kind of monster would have more than one 12-string? ;D