Jazzmaster Upgrades Help! (SQ CV FSR late 50s WBL)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster Upgrades Help! (SQ CV FSR late 50s WBL)

Post by alexpigment » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:28 am

There's a caveat about them "moving" the CV line from China to Indonesia. In reality, what happened is that they rebranded (and slightly revamped) all the Vintage Modified series (already made in Indonesia) and just renamed them to Classic Vibe. This is the case with the Jazzmaster and Jaguar, for example. As a result, most mods you see regarding the VM Jazzmaster will carry over to the Classic Vibes. And yes, I suspect your tech will have no problems performing the upgrades you want, even if it requires getting a new bracket or altering screw placement. These are not big deals.

As for the Classic Vibes that weren't originally offered as Vintage Modifieds, I believe they did move all (?) to Indonesia at this point, but Squier still makes guitars in China, like the Paranormal series. Unfortunately these aren't made in the same factory as previous CVs. You'll notice that all original CVs (and Mascis, Squier Deluxe JM) had a "CGS" prefix which indicates they were made at the Gree factory. Fender also had a short-lived series called the Modern Player also made in this factory, and you can really tell the similarities in the neck, hardware, etc. I think Fender probably just realized that the Classic Vibes were selling too well to not slap a Fender logo on them and sell them for a little bit more money ;) All modern Squiers made in China will have a CY serial number, indicating that they're made in the Yako factory (e.g. the current J Mascis JM), and I feel like they're a bit of a step down from those made in the Gree factory.

To be clear, I didn't mean to scare you earlier. Classic Vibes JMs are - just as Vintage Modified JMs were - great guitars as well as great modding platforms. It really shouldn't take much money to make them go from a budget guitar to your #1, and I'm sure some will argue that no mods are needed at with an appropriate setup. Personally, I'm in the camp that thinks all import trem units are inherently inferior to AVRI ones, and this is a crucial mod in my opinion.

matsasf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by matsasf » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:33 am

alexpigment once again I thank you so much for your reply, I have learned a lot from this thread, so happy I joined this forum.
It's fascinating how the CV space has changed.

This is the serial number on a product page for the Fender SQ CV Late 50s Jazzmaster WBL I found, starts with ICSK which translates to:
Build in November 2020 Crafted in Indonesia by Cor-Tek. Is that any good? 😅

matsasf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by matsasf » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:20 am

The guitar, bridge and tremolo have arrived, and the rest of the stuff are on the way, so I will continue this saga in a new thread to document the process (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121141). Thank you all for your help so far!