Modifying modern tremolo arm to be vintage correct

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Modifying modern tremolo arm to be vintage correct

Post by gibs » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:13 pm

I feel like I’ve heard pushieen talk about this, but I haven’t managed to turn any YouTube vids are threads about how to do this. Liking the idea of having more of that vintage bend on the arm (where it’s more rounded off towards the pickups at the end of the arm, rather than the strat style bend). Anyone try this? have any pointers?

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Modifying modern tremolo arm to be vintage correct

Post by jdr1014 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:11 pm

I prefer a smooth rounded curvature like vintage and vintage reissue trem arms vs. the stratlike angle bend.

My AVRI62 JM and 60th Anni Jag have a nice smooth bends. The arm for my AmPro JM had the angle bend, which I carefully changed to a gentle curve.

If you attempt to change the bend, REMOVE IT from the guitar. I straightened out the angle bend a bit first and then rebent the arm against a curved object (I used a hardwood firewood log). Take your time and it's not difficult! Looks much better IMO and feels better too. Also, if you want to change arm height off the body, Callaham has a good YT video on how to do it.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:03 am

Yeah the arms aren't hard to bend by hand, I've done it just freehand with good results. Bending it against a hard round object is a good idea too if you want a little more control over the final shape.

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by repoman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:21 am

It looks like the modern ones are about 90% correct but the difference is a very slight bend about 1 inch from where the cap ends on the rod.
I'd take the cap off and stick it in a vise and slightly push on it from the longer end for more leverage and control. Put some firm, soft material in between the bar and the jaws to keep from marring the finish (like bike inner tube or some hard rubber). Keeping the bar in plane with the other bend is sort of tricky though and something to watch out for.