Super custom JM wiring diagram

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Super custom JM wiring diagram

Post by gibs » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Ok, so looking to see if anyone sees anything wrong here, sorry for the lousy pick, if anyone knows of a good way to make up wiring diagrams on mobile I’m all ears.

So here’s the explanation. Wanting to eventually take my CV 50s JM and have the rhythm circuit affect both pickups, add series/parallel via s1 switch on the lead volume circuit (drawing shows a standard 4pdt switch layout, just because it’s less of a headache to understand) and a custom strangle switch via s1 switch on the lead tone control (same as above with 4pdt)

I used rothstien’s series parallel diagram where he uses a 3pdt slide switch in place of the rhythm switch, so confident that’s correct, and won’t cause any dead spots on the toggle switch. Don’t pay too close attention to the rhythm circuit, I don’t plan on touching that and will use however it’s currently wired, just the switch will be rewired to affect both pickups. Since I had an extra unused pole on the series/parallel switch, I decided to get a little crazy with my strangle switch setup. So when in parallel, the volume s1 sends the output of the toggle to one cap value (used amzfx’s resistance calculator, since I’ll have to use 500k pots on the lead circuit as there is no s1 switch with 1meg pots, so this should get close to the same frequency as the 0.003 cap on a Jaguar strangle switch with 1meg, it’s not exact but it gives me a starting point, plan on getting an assortment of caps to test out), and when the volume s1 is set to series, routes the toggle through a different cap value (going 0.003uf like a jag circuit, since I’m expecting series to be much darker, so wanting to attenuate more low end in the signal here, if I did my calculating correctly, this is unfamiliar territory for me) when the strangle switch is active, when it’s bypassed, it routes the signal to the lead/rhythm switch and ultimately to the output.

So to recap, pickups run to s1 volume switch for series/parallel wiring, then to the toggle switch, then to the S1 tone strangle switch to select from one of 2 caps depending on if the guitar is in series or parallel, or bypass the strangle switch, then to the rhythm/lead switch to select which circuit is active, then to output.

So does this look good to all the wiring experts here? Nothing questionable?

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Super custom JM wiring diagram

Post by gibs » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 pm

Something I forgot, ideally, I’d like the switching to work like on my tele, where the S1 only affects the middle position, but I think in the above, it essentially bypasses the toggle switch, from the diagrams I’ve found for am Dlx/elite teles, I would think that the use of a blade toggle allows for position 1 and 3 to still activate individual pickups whereas the Gibson style toggle doesn’t have this ability since it has half the solder lugs of a blade switch and isn’t as customizable with switching.

Anyone know if I could have the series only effect the middle position and still have individual pickup sounds without disabling series?

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Ok, studies up how the Am Dlx teles work with series/parallel on position 2 only, I came up with the idea of splitting the output lugs on the toggle switch, as I feel that might do it. Made a new drawing, not convinced this would work either, but seems closer to how it’s done on a 3 way blade with S1. Grant it the standard Gibson style toggle doesn’t have as much versatility as a blade switch, so it’s still a shot in the dark as to whether or not it would work.

And for reference, here’s the tele drawing I’ve been dissecting:

https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_asset ... A_SISD.pdf

Rethinking the strangle switch idea. Thinking would be more versatile (for my non offset guitars) to just use my EQ pedal cutoff the low end and boost the midrange to get a better cutting tone when fingerpicking. So might either dump the second S1 switch, or might do some further work to where I can still use the rhythm circuit as stock, but then hit the switch to use the toggle switch in the rhythm circuit. I do tend to use the neck pickup in rhythm then just flip the slide switch to go straight to bridge lead circuit, so kinda not sure I want to loose that ability, but still want to have the ability to throw the bridge pickup through the rhythm circuit from time to time.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:47 am

gibs wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 pm
Anyone know if I could have the series only effect the middle position and still have individual pickup sounds without disabling series?
I don't think you'll be able to do it with a normal toggle switch, it just doesn't have enough poles.

In your second drawing, in series mode, you'll get both pickups in series only when the toggle is in the neck position. With the toggle in the middle position, the neck pickup is forming a loop with itself, so you'll only hear the bridge pickup.

Also, on the lead tone pot, I think the cap needs to be on the middle lug.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:39 pm

tammyw wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:47 am
gibs wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 pm
I don't think you'll be able to do it with a normal toggle switch, it just doesn't have enough poles.

In your second drawing, in series mode, you'll get both pickups in series only when the toggle is in the neck position. With the toggle in the middle position, the neck pickup is forming a loop with itself, so you'll only hear the bridge pickup.

Also, on the lead tone pot, I think the cap needs to be on the middle lug.
Yea, I was thinking so, I’ll just have to get used to using the S1 switch as a master selector of its own and less of a preset switch like on my tele, or the rhythm circuit switch. Thinking I will go with the stock/modified rhythm circuit s1 switch idea in place of the strangle switch. Now to figure out how to wire that up, my initial attempt showed me it wasn’t as simple as I first thought it’s be.

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:39 am

So I got around to this finally, got the series parallel working. And rather than a strangle switch, I setup the second S1 to introduce a 50k resistor at the input and output lugs of the 500k tone control (if I did the math correct, it should result in a 50k like tone level of the rhythm circuit, more on that later) I’m realizing though, that it’s a much darker sounding tone than compared to my telecaster, and I’m not digging it like I thought I would. So my next thought is to use the spare pole on the S1 to add a .003 cap to act as a strangle switch on the series mode only, in an effort to roll off all the low end boomyness that it currently has.

In my studying though, I’m not understanding the Jaguar wiring of the strangle, how is it that signal still passes when the switch is in the off position? Also not sure that I need an open pole, seems like I should just place the capacitor somewhere between the series link to get the same affect.

The 50k tone control is done in an effort to still have the stock rthythm circuit and have all pickup combinations available as well, without committing to the rhythm circuit (I like being able to use the circuit sector switch to go from rhythm neck to lead bridge and not have to mess with the toggle). So I either need to do some more expirimenting with resistor values, as the 50k is t quite as dark as the actual rhythm circuit, or come up with a way using the second S1 to switch between stock rhythm and having the toggle switch on the rhythm.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm

gibs wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:39 am
In my studying though, I’m not understanding the Jaguar wiring of the strangle, how is it that signal still passes when the switch is in the off position? Also not sure that I need an open pole, seems like I should just place the capacitor somewhere between the series link to get the same affect.
The strangle switch is a tad unintuitive. It shorts the contacts - and therefore the bridging cap - in the off position. The cap is always in circuit, just shorted in one position. Like most things, the way it works is clearer on a schematic than a wiring diagram. Curiously the Marg jaguar (below) - which has both a regular strangle (bright) switch and a series-only strangle (series bright) switch - uses a different wiring approach for the two strangles: vintage-style (SPDT) for the regular strangle and a DPDT for the series strangle. The DPDT approach (more intuitive ?) switches the cap out of circuit. But if the SPDT approach "works", it could have been used for both.

"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:47 pm

timtam wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm
The cap is always in circuit, just shorted in one position. Like most things, the way it works is clearer on a schematic than a wiring diagram.
One of my old electronics teachers was fond of say that the layout tells you how it works and the schematic tells you why it works.
She/Her