Descendant vs. Mastery Vibrato

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
hotsawce
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Descendant vs. Mastery Vibrato

Post by hotsawce » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:16 pm

Curious if anyone has used both and which they prefer?

I was told the Descendant can't pitch upward like the Mastery, but Swope informed me you can adjust the spring tension screw to get a half step of up pull if desired (or tighten it so it will operate only downward.)

The mastery does look a bit "heftier."

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Descendant vs. Mastery Vibrato

Post by noisepunk » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:27 am

i want to know why neither of them think the trem lock was important enough to include–that's one of my favorite parts of the overall JM/jag design and i can't imagine spending that much money on an "upgrade" unit that doesn't have one.

clearly the financial voting power of others outweighs my opinion though.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:44 am

I've used both and so far prefer the Mastery.

That being said, I'm so new to the Descendant that I didn't actually know until I read what you wrote that it can pitch upwards. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

The Mastery certainly is of heavier construction all around, which isn't necessarily a positive.

Overall, if I was buying another unit, it would be a Mastery, although I'm in no sense displeased with the Descendant, and am so new to it that my opinions might change.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:46 am

I have a mastery installed and I do really like the trem action - very smooth but I do miss the trem lock feature.

I also got a decendent but it is not installed. I purchased it for the increased break angle.

Both are well made.

So i suspect that the real point of interest is: DO you want to manage break angle via neck shim/bridge height setup only or do you want to manage via a trem with a degree or two of break anglee