Odd custom Jazzmaster wiring

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Frado
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Odd custom Jazzmaster wiring

Post by Frado » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:20 am

https://ibb.co/gPfXHx0 with a 3way
https://ibb.co/MgR8S8X with the blend pot and tpdt switch for series/parallel
both wiring should work

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:24 am

Thanks a lot for all your help! I'll have a hunt around to see if I can find a flat on/on tpdt switch, failing that I'll probably try it out with the blend, quirks and all, if it gets too annoying I might just swap it out for a toggle.

😎

Frado
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Frado » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:22 am

No problem, only solution that I can see with using all the components in your wiring is by getting series in only one position. As you said that the series would be more useful to you if it was when the blend pot is on the bridge position. You can get that by using your original wiring plus ground on the phase switch and green and yellow wire together on the tone pot. After that all you have to do is replace the pickup wires, so where you connect the bridge pickup wires you connect the neck pickup wires and vice versa, and flip the wires on the central lugs of the blend pot. That way your basically getting the phase switching on your neck but that shouldn't change the out of phase sound

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:49 am

Ah, wish I'd posted here before I wired it up, I've cut the pickup wires too short to be able to swap them around now! Thinking of ways to stop the blend control reaching its extreme positions, maybe a pin sticking up through the scratchplate under the control with a lug glued to the underside of the knob?

Frado
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Frado » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:47 pm

Just solder some wires on the existing pickup wires so that you get the needed length and isolate the contacts where you connect them to each other

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:22 pm

Ok, I think I'm going to try that. I've redrawn it with updates and as an internal view so it's easier to follow when wiring. Better check if I've got it right before I butcher it again... 🤞

Frado
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Frado » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:01 pm

Seems fine ,with the green wire I would go from the blend pot to the middle lug of the bass cut and from that bass cut middle lug to the tone third lug, just to make it tidier , and don't forget to ground the bridge.

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:50 pm

So like this?

Does this all mean the blend control will go clockwise to the bridge rather than to neck? Is there a way of keeping it anti clockwise to bridge or does that mean the blend extreme bridge position will be silent?

Trem unit will be grounded, will a bridge post need grounded too?

Frado
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Frado » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:07 am

Yes that is what I meant . In the last wiring the wire on the tone pot is on the wrong lug and you would get the bridge when its all the way clockwise, if you want it anti clockwise just flip the red wires on the blend pot. Just the trem will be fine,no need to ground both.

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:41 am

Ok, so this would be the final diagram?

Thanks so much for all your help and patience with this! I'll get soldering again later 😊

Frado
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Frado » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:51 am

No problem, glad I could help, I like a good challenge :) Just put the green wire on the right lug of the tone pot an everything should work fine

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:57 am

Ah right, will shift that green wire on the tone too. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers!

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:46 pm

Got it all wired, seemed to work fine (albeit with a bit of hum) until I packed it all in and screwed down the scratchplate, then... no sound! Took it all apart again and noticed there was scratchy noises whenever I touched some wires. I'd used braided wire, body shielded with aluminium tape, and have a black anodized pickguard. Sounds like something is shorting out or not earthed properly. Maybe the braided wire is pointless and just adding problems? Or should I run an earth to the aluminium foil too? Didn't have any of this bother last time I wired a guitar but then it wasn't a jazzmaster... 😖😄

Frado
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Frado » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:28 am

Personally wouldn't go with the braded wire because you could get a ground loop and there is more chance of a shortage if the outer layer of the wire is not isolated. If the foil in the cavities is in contact with the foil on the pickguard when assembled there is no need to wire the foil in the cavities. and check for cold solder joints. There will always be some hum with single coil pickups

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:07 am

There's no actual foil on the pickguard, I assumed the anodized pickguard would do the job but maybe the black coating stops it connecting? I've ordered some cloth wire so hopefully 1 more rewire and it'll be sorted.