Odd custom Jazzmaster wiring

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Frado
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Odd custom Jazzmaster wiring

Post by Frado » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:11 am

Don't know about the pickguard, try to se if the paint is conductive with a multimeter

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:24 am

Ok, so I've stripped out the aluminium foil as the adhesive is apparently not conductive and replaced it with copper foil. I covered the inside of the pickguard too so it should be fully shielded. I've also stripped out most of the old wire and replaced it with cloth covered stuff to eliminate any issues with the braided stuff. It all seems to work fine until I fully screw down the scratchplate screws around the blend and bass cut controls then signal cuts out entirely! Keep thinking I've sorted it by replacing another wire, stripping out a potentially unnecessary earth, even putting masking tape over the copper foil where it might be touching some wires when it gets screwed down, but after 5 or 6 failed attempts I'm at a loss again. Any ideas? This is officially my most annoying guitar to date.

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:13 am

Just thought, I have all the ground wires going to the back of the volume pot, but since the cavity and pickguard are shielded would all those ground wires be unnecessary or even make the sound cut out when everything is screwed down in place? The series/parallel and phase switches are plastic so would they need the ground wires currently going to volume pot?

horse
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by horse » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:31 pm

Sorted! 😁 there were a couple of tiny spacers keeping the bass cut mounting plate recessed a bit but which were adding a crucial 1mm that was crushing the wires on the pot into the copper foil in the cavity. Took them out and it was all good!

Thanks Frado for guiding me through 😊

Frado
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Frado » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:53 am

No problem, glad I could help :)
Nice looking guitar 8)