Question about refinishing - nitro vs poly

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
daveenglish7
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Question about refinishing - nitro vs poly

Post by daveenglish7 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:07 pm

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me with this.

I’ve just bought a new guitar on Ebay that has had the finish stripped off and which I’d like to get re-finished (the strip job has revealed some marks on the body that I’d like to cover up - aside from this it’s an absolutely incredible guitar that is a dream to play). I was thinking I’d like to do a nitrocellulose finish as I’ve only ever owned poly guitars before.

However, the previous owner appears to have only taken off the top colour coat (it apparently used to be red) and has left a clear undercoat underneath. I’m not sure what type exactly, but it certainly doesn’t feel like bare wood. The guitar is a Korean made Epiphone Riviera so I’m assuming that this undercoat will be poly rather than nitro. So my question is, will I still be able to refinish it with nitrocellulose or would I have to get it done in poly to match the undercoat? And does anyone know roughly what this will cost me?

Thanks in advance :-)

JJCam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Question about refinishing - nitro vs poly

Post by JJCam » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:42 pm

MJT seems to be a popular option here although kind of expensive. I'm looking into having them finish a body for me.

Their rate is $150 to strip a poly finish and $285 to finish in the color of your choice.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:40 pm

JJCam wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:42 pm
MJT seems to be a popular option here although kind of expensive. I'm looking into having them finish a body for me.

Their rate is $150 to strip a poly finish and $285 to finish in the color of your choice.
I believe that's for a Fender body. This is a set neck, which is much more labour intensive and expensive to refinish.

Also, MJT finishes are not your average finishes. If you want something resembling a new Gibson or Fender finish, they don't do that.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

daveenglish7
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by daveenglish7 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:04 am

Cheers guys - im actually based in the UK so will have to find someone over here!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:56 am

daveenglish7 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:04 am
Cheers guys - im actually based in the UK so will have to find someone over here!
Seek out and speak to Rexter Guitars. He's a member here too
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:24 pm

To answer your original question, nitro will stick to a poly coat, it wouldn't be a problem to get it sprayed over. Even vintage nitro Fenders often had Fullerplast sealing the wood, and modern nitro Fenders generally have poly undercoats.
Being hollow you may want to strip it if you want the finish very thin. But the curved top and back make the process labour intensive because a catalysed poly finish is harder than wood, so sandthroughs have to be caught immediately.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:59 pm

MatthewK wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:24 pm
To answer your original question, nitro will stick to a poly coat, it wouldn't be a problem to get it sprayed over. Even vintage nitro Fenders often had Fullerplast sealing the wood, and modern nitro Fenders generally have poly undercoats.
Being hollow you may want to strip it if you want the finish very thin. But the curved top and back make the process labour intensive because a catalysed poly finish is harder than wood, so sandthroughs have to be caught immediately.
This