Black Sparkle Baritone Jagmaster Project - Help Needed

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Black Sparkle Baritone Jagmaster Project - Help Needed

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:44 am

I have one of the old black sparkle 25.5 Jagmasters from when I was a teenager, my first guitar and I played the poor thing to death.

Consequently the neck now has no frets left and hasn't been played in years, I'm covered in my regular guitars for 25.5 scale necks and am doing a lot of recording recently so thought I'd convert it to a Baritone guitar.

I know I have to get one of the Fender sub-sonic baritone conversion neck or similar, but never having converted to a Baritone before wasn't sure about a couple details.

Will the original Strat-style trem be able to handle the baritone strings or do I have to replace it with one with heftier saddles / internal mechanics etc?

Also would love some recommendations for pickups (I'm in the EU), the pickguard is routed for humbuckers so would have to fit somewhere in that vein.

Thanks for reading!
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Black Sparkle Baritone Jagmaster Project - Help Needed

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:28 am

any baritone conversion neck will work and your bridge will be fine. When I did my Jagmaster conversion, I upgraded the tremolo to a Wilkinson WVS50K tremolo (not the WVS 50 II K) & it was an easy, direct swap. As for pickups, I used a Lindy Fralin P92 in the neck and a Blacktop Filtertron in the bridge; over ion your side of the pond, people seem to like Q Pickups from Croatia, Creamery & Mojo Pickups in the UK.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Black Sparkle Baritone Jagmaster Project - Help Needed

Post by Zork » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 am

As an alternative to the Subsonic neck, look out for a Göldo baritone conversion neck. It has a little longer scale lenght and is also a bit less expensive. I just got one for my Esquire and the quality is absolutely stunning.