Anyone have a template for a body shape similar to the Balaguer Thicket ("true" offset Tele)?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
henrebotha
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Anyone have a template for a body shape similar to the Balaguer Thicket ("true" offset Tele)?

Post by henrebotha » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:42 pm

I want to build an offset. I really like the look of a Tele shape with an offset waist, such as Balaguer's Thicket model.

Anyone have a template drawing similar to this that I could use? I'm willing to pay of course.

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone have a template for a body shape similar to the Balaguer Thicket ("true" offset Tele)?

Post by Axolotl » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:53 pm

Forumite Deed_Poll built an offset tele that was fantastic. IIRC he made a thread and offered the templates but I can't find it. This was probably in 2015 or so. Maybe shoot him a message or somebody can chime in?

EDIT: Not the thread I was looking for but you can see some of his offset Tele designs here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=104948&p=1448133&h ... r#p1448133

henrebotha
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Anyone have a template for a body shape similar to the Balaguer Thicket ("true" offset Tele)?

Post by henrebotha » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:45 pm

Axolotl wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:53 pm
Forumite Deed_Poll built an offset tele that was fantastic. IIRC he made a thread and offered the templates but I can't find it. This was probably in 2015 or so.
I think I found it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=93601 Great design, looks a bit more like a Talman than a Tele to me though. I'm certainly bookmarking that link.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:49 am

Cheers guys! I've personally always been more a fan of the red one in the post Axolotl shared, but I don't know whether it's the dumpy horn or what but people tend to prefer the more Talman-type one!

Henrebotha, do let me know if I can help you out - I can do full custom too :)

Cheers!

Dan
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 am

Oh I see you're just after a template! Epizootics has written an incredible and comprehensive guide how to go about it :)
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

henrebotha
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by henrebotha » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:58 am

Deed_Poll wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 am
Oh I see you're just after a template! Epizootics has written an incredible and comprehensive guide how to go about it :)
Would you happen to have a link? My search skills are failing me. (Using the search function on here takes me back to the old Musicians Forum days…)

ejendres
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ejendres » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:43 am

Do you have any/know someone with image editting skills?

All you need to do is scale that image you posted using 25.5 between bridge/nut as a reference and then get it printed at a place with a plotter like kinkos. Bam, template.

henrebotha
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by henrebotha » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:08 am

ejendres wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:43 am
All you need to do is scale that image you posted using 25.5 between bridge/nut as a reference and then get it printed at a place with a plotter like kinkos. Bam, template.
I'm hoping to eventually give the template to a luthier to make me a body. I want to make things as easy and useful for them as possible. But maybe just giving them a literal photo of the shape I want is enough? I wouldn't know — I've never commissioned work like this before.

henrebotha
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by henrebotha » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:12 am

And while we're talking about this: Anyone have a better generic name for this kind of shape? "Offset Telecaster" has been co-opted completely by a bunch of Jazzmasters with aspirations above their station, making it useless as a search term. I'm interested in seeing more variations on this kind of shape.

ejendres
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ejendres » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:12 pm

henrebotha wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:08 am
ejendres wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:43 am
I'm hoping to eventually give the template to a luthier to make me a body. I want to make things as easy and useful for them as possible. But maybe just giving them a literal photo of the shape I want is enough? I wouldn't know — I've never commissioned work like this before.
Honestly a luthier worth his salt should be able to work from a picture and will likely be fine with making their own template. They likely have tele templates they'll base it one.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:37 am

You're not talking about this thread, are you? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=118067&hilit=creati ... e#p1651341 :)

Anyways, for ... reasons... I discovered about a few months ago that if the model is available in the customizer tool for builds where you can change colors and so on you can extract an image of the body and even an alpha channel if you have some fairly basic web developer understanding, at least for the model I was looking at. An alpha channel is a 1:1 size image of what's used in the tool that's used to inform where black and white levels are in the image layers. If that's all greek to you perhaps someone you know might have the knowhow to extract the exact body shape that you can then scale to size...
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

henrebotha
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by henrebotha » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:40 am

Good thing I'm a web developer, lol