Gulf livery bullet Mustang

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gulf livery bullet Mustang

Post by BTL » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:29 pm

Don_Karnage wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:44 pm
BeeTL wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:34 pm
You could cover the whole pickguard with exterior-grade white sign vinyl with a black starting number printed on it.
That’s a cool idea! I’m not sure where I could find something that specific though…
Any local sign company can print something up for about $40 or so.
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

Don_Karnage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gulf livery bullet Mustang UPDATE

Post by Don_Karnage » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:01 am

So I've had some time now to think a bit. I'm probably gonna do a new pickguard from scratch. One reason is that the bridge I ordered is shorter than the hardtail that's already on there so it leaves a bit too much space between the bridge and the pickguard for my liking. Minor detail maybe but it bothers me for some reason, pics below.

The other reason is that the bathtub cavity gives me the opportunity to try out some unconventional stuff when it comes to pickup configurations. So I have these soapbar style P90's with white covers and they fit alright, I'll just have to make some space in the end closest to the bridge but I don't need to remove a lot of material at all. I'm thinking either a bridge pickup and "middle" pickup (no neck pickup) to get semi stratty sounds in the middle position or maybe even put the pickups right next to each other and do a series/parallell switch as well and get "big humbucker" sounds in series and maybe something kinda stratty in parallell. What do you all think?

As for the pickguard itself I'm probably gonna stay with the white, possibly parchment or mint. I don't know if I should just make it easy for myself and get one-ply material or if I should try to make a proper edge bevel with 3-ply. I don't really have any good tools for that I think and haven't done it before.

As for decals and stuff I think I probably want to get a custom decal made based on the Gulf logo but have it say something else instead of "GULF".

I did end up ordering a couple of orange speed knobs, that was a really cool suggestion and I think they'll work out perfectly!

Don_Karnage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gulf livery bullet Mustang

Post by Don_Karnage » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:05 am

This project might end up taking some time btw. I'm currently getting adjusted to working full time again after a long time of being on sick leave and I have a couple of other projects going on as well. Sometimes I find some extra time and energy though.