The '64 that wasn't.... AKA: the Mess-Stang

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The '64 that wasn't.... AKA: the Mess-Stang

Post by JSett » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:18 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:08 am
I am impressed not only by the turnaround but by your ability to make lemonade here, to use a phrase. Not to mention your positive attitude about the whole thing. All around a good story.
Thanks for the kind words. I've spent the last 18 months stressing about things I have no control over (Covid closures) that I've come out the other side with a much more positive attitude about pretty much everything. "C'est La Vie" is much easier on the mental health than "The End is Nigh"
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:00 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:18 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:08 am
I am impressed not only by the turnaround but by your ability to make lemonade here, to use a phrase. Not to mention your positive attitude about the whole thing. All around a good story.
Thanks for the kind words. I've spent the last 18 months stressing about things I have no control over (Covid closures) that I've come out the other side with a much more positive attitude about pretty much everything. "C'est La Vie" is much easier on the mental health than "The End is Nigh"
My wife pointed out my heavy usage of the phrase "it is what it is", which is probably me trying to borrow some wisdom from the French to apply to my own circumstances.

Good to hear your attempts to reduce stress have been successful, I try and reduce stress in every way I can, professionally and personally. Keep it up!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:12 am

A good attitude, for sure.

Remember that the French took abject poverty that forced them to eat snails and frogs and said, "fuck it, we're going to make this shit taste good." Eventually, they got so good at cooking them that those dishes came to be regarded as hoity-toity delicacies rather than a way to find dinner under a moist rock.

They're pretty good at the old lemons-into-lemonade game. They also have one of the highest life expectancies despite a super high-fat diet. I think the secret is truly not sweating the small stuff. They have a lower-stress lifestyle than most.

Also, decapitation of the rich when they get too far out of line.

I like the French.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:58 am

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:12 am
A good attitude, for sure.

Remember that the French took abject poverty that forced them to eat snails and frogs and said, "fuck it, we're going to make this shit taste good." Eventually, they got so good at cooking them that those dishes came to be regarded as hoity-toity delicacies rather than a way to find dinner under a moist rock.

They're pretty good at the old lemons-into-lemonade game. They also have one of the highest life expectancies despite a super high-fat diet. I think the secret is truly not sweating the small stuff. They have a lower-stress lifestyle than most.

Also, decapitation of the rich when they get too far out of line.

I like the French.
...apart from Parisiennes - I've never known such a high propensity to swing into seemingly limitless furious rage and utter desolation at the tiniest of slights or inconveniences hahaha. My Grandmother is from Paris and she will happily attest to the insanity that city breeds

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:39 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:58 am
...apart from Parisiennes - I've never known such a high propensity to swing into seemingly limitless furious rage and utter desolation at the tiniest of slights or inconveniences hahaha. My Grandmother is from Paris and she will happily attest to the insanity that city breeds
Well, when have people from cultural/economic centre-type cities not been a little dramatic? :D I wouldn't necessarily call Torontonians or New Yorkers representative of all Canadians or Americans either (which of course aren't monoliths).

But there's an interesting thing about Parisian mood swings, now that you mention it. I've noticed they're a lot like Russian or Israeli mood swings - they seem extreme to an outside observer, but are really kind of superficial. I've got a whole lot of relatives in each of those camps (including a Parisian branch of Israeli expats), and everyday interactions can involve a lot of screaming and drama, but then it's resolved and everyone moves on.

There's something to be said for externalizing your emotions. There's more conflict, but everyone gets it out of their system and it doesn't fester. It can cause some culture shock, though, when that approach clashes with the more reserved, "cram it down and use the pressure of your rage to crush it into a diamond" type culture (which we also have in other branches of the family).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:45 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:39 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:58 am
Well, when have people from cultural/economic centre-type cities not been a little dramatic? :D I wouldn't necessarily call Torontonians or New Yorkers representative of all Canadians or Americans either (which of course aren't monoliths).

But there's an interesting thing about Parisian mood swings, now that you mention it. I've noticed they're a lot like Russian or Israeli mood swings - they seem extreme to an outside observer, but are really kind of superficial. I've got a whole lot of relatives in each of those camps, and everyday interactions can involve a lot of screaming and drama, but then it's resolved and everyone moves on.

There's something to be said for externalizing your emotions. There's more conflict, but everyone gets it out of their system and it doesn't fester. It can cause some culture shock, though, when that approach clashes with the more reserved, "cram it down and use the pressure of your rage to crush it into a diamond" type cultures.
That's a very good point, well made. My family are of rural French and Dutch heritage so naturally have a rather chilled-out outlook and lack of major drama so the extremes of other corners of the world do definitely seem more significant and jarring. Much like my wife, who is part Italian (Napoli) and is rather fond of a sudden swing towards the murderous 😂 wouldn't have her any other way though.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:50 pm

Better than a CS relic. Actually looks like it happened naturally rather than being dragged behind a truck and attacked with an orbital sander...

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:49 am

No picture update.

Had a set of 'Classic '64' pickups arrive yesterday from Jaime at Creamery. I had him wind them at around 8.5k for the bridge and whatever he saw fit as a balance for the neck. Basically as hot as the average JM pickup.

All installed and they sound fantastic, nice and warm and they take that little bit of spike off the top end. A definite improvement.

Dropped it off today to my local dude to get the frets sorted (there's a LOT of high spots) and then, once it's back, it'll be all finished!