Anyone make American Ultra Jazzmaster Bodies?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
drcatman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Anyone make American Ultra Jazzmaster Bodies?

Post by drcatman » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:48 pm

I want to do a Jazzmaster build and I’m really into the heel contours of an American Ultra. Does anyone know any sources who would offer these contours as an option?

I’m going for a clear, one-piece swamp ash body, so I don’t want to get an America Ultra as the base of the project.

Thanks in advanced for any leads!

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone make American Ultra Jazzmaster Bodies?

Post by smjenkins » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:26 pm

Warmoth will contour a jazzmaster heel, but like many things warmoth, they have their own spin on what a contoured heel is.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:52 pm

I criticise much of what Warmoth does as far as surfacing, transitions and messing with original designs - but the Warmoth contoured heel formula is smart and attractively executed. I'd personally take it over the American Ultra style heel any day.

Just be aware that Warmoth JM pickguards terminate neck-side of the bridge instead of having the bridge posts fit through the guard, and this makes the part with the volume and tone knobs look overly long and spindly to some.

This would all be fine if you could just use a vintage-correct guard and be done with it, but they move the bridge pickup routing slightly, so if you're using a correctly shaped guard the body will need additional routing around the bridge pickup.

That would be my recommendation since Warmoth make a great quality product for a very competitive price, but I understand not everyone has the equipment needed to expand a route like this.

I don't know whether Warmoth's competitors offer a contoured heel on a Jazzmaster shape - I'd be checking out Best Guitar Parts / Sound Guitar Works or Musikraft, maybe USACG too but I haven't dealt with them since MJT bought them out, so things might be radically different by now.

I make custom bodies myself, but for something as close to a traditional / commonly made formula as a Jazzmaster body with heel contour, you would get more for your money by opting for a larger volume company like the above.
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kingmedicine » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:38 am

Maybe check out/ask GuitarMill? I think I’ve seen already finished/made bodies for sale on their website that had the contoured heel like the Ultra series guitars (they were Tele bodies I think, but I’m guessing it’s at least an option).

drcatman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drcatman » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:42 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far. I've previously done a Warmoth build (carved top soloist) with their contoured heel and I'm familiar with the peculiarities of their Jazzmasters. I agree it looks "off" to my eye and I didn't like that the routs were moved. My aim is for an American Ultra style contour. It's different and I'd like it on this build.

I've reached out the Guitar Mill and I'll post here if they can help.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:47 am

Is getting an actual American Performer body an option? Because the Stratosphere has those from time to time.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

drcatman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drcatman » Mon May 23, 2022 4:46 pm

Steadyriot. wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:47 am
Is getting an actual American Performer body an option? Because the Stratosphere has those from time to time.
I don't think they have the same body contours as the Ultra body.

As an update, I haven't had much luck with finding anything short of a parted out Ultra body so far.