Haze Jazzmaster PUP Upgrade

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Play_at_Guitar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Haze Jazzmaster PUP Upgrade

Post by Play_at_Guitar » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:04 pm

<t>I think am ready to upgrade my Haze Jazzmaster P-90's to Fender Classic Jazzmaster pick ups. Any recommendations, preferably an OSG sponsor? Although the Haze P-90's sound pretty good, they are very microphonic, meaning when my pick hits the plastic cover, it produces a mechanical (not electronic) pop just like a microphone would. To avoid this as much as possible, I have lowered the bridge PU low enough where that is not a great problem, and rarely do I hit the middle PUP. Do good P-90's do that? Also, I am not sure if I should stick with buying better quality P 90s or buy original Fender Classic PUPs. as I do like the tone of the Classics, at least from what I can tell from YouTube. I do not want to increase the brightness like my Strats. If you would like, check out the tone of this You Tuber's Classic Jazzmaster.

Thanks for any help.< /t>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd_kYr-LAJY
I just hope I can play guitars in my next life! Maybe then there will be time to actually get good!

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Haze Jazzmaster PUP Upgrade

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:15 am

If you don’t want a tone that’s brighter than a strat, I’d stick with P90s. I’ve found jazzmaster pickups to be quite trebly. I’m fond of Fralin p90s.

schoolie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by schoolie » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:05 am

I believe Tom Conlon is playing a Classic Player Jazzmaster which *I think* has P90s.

Play_at_Guitar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Play_at_Guitar » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:48 pm

Great tone is back!

I was looking at upgrading at least the bridge PUP, and I have had a set of NIB strings that I was holding off installing until I bought the new PUP and maybe a new bridge. But the other night I decided to go ahead and install the new strings and WOW, this Jazzmaster is back to sounding just like it did when I first bought it. So dummy me, I had the solution sitting right there. I have never gone this long between string changes while actively playing. While doing this saved me some $$'s, much more importantly, this guitar is really sounding ALIVE again! I am actually embarrassed to say how long the old strings were on this guitar (I play nearly every day) and one would think I would know better! :blush:

Thanks to all for trying to help.
I just hope I can play guitars in my next life! Maybe then there will be time to actually get good!