Affinity Jazzmaster Project Questions

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Metaliban
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Affinity Jazzmaster Project Questions

Post by Metaliban » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:36 am

Hello There!

New to the forum but have been scouring through posts of other people who have modded their Squier Jazzmasters

I'm pretty comfortable with doing all the other stuff I want to do but have 3 main questions if anyone can help

1 - Output Jack location - I am pretty convinced I want the output jack to be on the bottom/side of the body (Jim Root style) has anyone done this to a jazzmaster and can they let me know what size forstner bit and technique they used (any videos would be helpful)

2 - Pickguard - I'm going for a single pickup configuration with one volume knob, Has anyone got a blank pickguard and cut out the pickup spaces and knob holes themselves and have any advice on how to do this (again equipment help here would be great)

3 - Bridge - I kind of want to change the bridge or at least the saddles but I've read the spacing can be a pain and the screws don't line up, has anybody straight swapped the standard bridge out for a Gotoh or Hipshot one/has anyone changed the saddles for graphtec/any other ones and have links to the specific spacing

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Affinity Jazzmaster Project Questions

Post by MC5tooge » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:45 pm

Re. pickguard - it's relatively easy with a coping saw and/or dremel. There are a few videos on YouTube about how to do it.
This is the first one I did (as a readymade replacement was unavailable) - and if I can do it, so can you.
Rough version before I finished it.... The "roughness" is mostly paper fibres from the picture I glued on. My black cat did not approve of my replacing a black pickguard with a picture of a sad lady in a boat.
And on the guitar. After a few more coats of matt varnish had set and I trimmed and sanded the edges over.

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:55 am

There's a few different ways to do the jack on the side. I like the Electrosocket jack. You could just drill the hole and use a square, rectangular, or "football" plate.

Cutting your own pickguard by hand is a LOT of busy work, particularly when you could simply buy what you want.
https://reverb.com/item/29397867-pickgu ... oid-colors

Metaliban
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Metaliban » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:20 am

Thanks for the advice :)
I don't quite intend to make my own pickguard from scratch, I was going to get a 3 ply Jazzmaster template and cut out the Pickup hole and volume pot hole myself :)
I think I'm going for the football plate style jack it was more a question on which size bit to use and any do's and don'ts when drilling the hole

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:17 am

I did drop in a black gotoh bridge that was a direct fit, but I removed it and went back to the stock bridge. The gotoh wasn't really any different.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:23 am

Be super careful drilling that side jack hole. It can be tricky. If you have a drill press and clamps, I would go that way to make sure the bit doesn't jump or rip up the finish. (Drilling in to a finished body on a curved side can be a pain in the ass.)

Youtube video.

https://youtu.be/_KLrOfYpwyU
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

desertsession alex
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by desertsession alex » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:11 am

Hey... Here's a very reliable dude, selling all kinds of pickguards for many many Squier models on ebay: HH, HSS, SSS, Holes, no holes.... I bought 4 or 5 of em myselft. many colors, eben mirroing ... take a look at those :) ... It's in the UK

https://www.ebay.de/itm/114764592712

Metaliban
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Metaliban » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:16 am

I've legit just ordered one of this guy last night!! Thanks for the info

Metaliban
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Metaliban » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:40 am

So far, got the Pickguard ordered and luckily it fits perfectly!
also fitted the Graph tech string tree & Stainless steel saddles!
TUSQ nut is arriving tomorrow and Grover tuners should arrive next week along with the invader pickup to go in it
all thats left then is to drill the output jack cavity and wire it all up!