Tuner bushing frustration for Japanese and Vintera models

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Angry Jonny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tuner bushing frustration for Japanese and Vintera models

Post by Angry Jonny » Sun May 30, 2021 2:26 pm

I'm a bit miffed that it's so hard to get the right bushings to fit Gotoh SD91 vintage tuners to fit a Fender Japan telecaster or a Vintera series Jaguar. I've had to wrap the included bushings in tape to get them to fit snuggly in the drilled holds.

Anyone got a lead on what the proper conversion bushing would be for either of these models? I just ordered a set of 3/8" conversion bushings, but I measured the holes and they appear to be just under 9mm.

This is my second attempt, second set of Gotoh tuners, on my Vintera Jaguar that I just got. I can see the pressure of the string tension is causing the bushing to lean back slightly toward the bridge and make a slight indent in the headstock.

Anyone else had this issue with Gotohs and Japanese or Mexican made Fenders?

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tuner bushing frustration for Japanese and Vintera models

Post by MrJagsquire » Sun May 30, 2021 2:35 pm

I've come across this, but not specifically on Japanese or Vintera models, but on partscasters I've built: I fitted Gotoh SD91 to my Telecaster project and I had to buy adaptor bushes and open the holes out to suit as the (MIM) neck I'd bought had smaller holes.

I realise that you aren't UK based, but it might be worth looking on this site at the different bushes you can buy and see if you can get something locally. You may well have open out the holes to the next size, but a reamer isn't that expensive on eBay as I found out.

https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?m ... daf678d840

Or:
https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?m ... daf678d840

For what it's worth I put some adaptors on my MIM Player Jaguar so I could fit Fender vintage tuners as I prefer them to the more modern type (my Strat has them, so I'm used to restringing using vintage ones after nearly 40 years...).

The bushes came from Axecaster as above.

Angry Jonny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tuner bushing frustration for Japanese and Vintera models

Post by Angry Jonny » Sun May 30, 2021 3:21 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I also just found some 9.2mm Gotoh conversion bushings that were fairly cheap that I just ordered as well. I guess I'll start trying different types and report back.