Question about putting Fishman Fluence Humbuckers on a Mustang

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
UnkemptCactus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Question about putting Fishman Fluence Humbuckers on a Mustang

Post by UnkemptCactus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:11 am

So I have a set of Fishman Fluence Modern Humbuckers that I want to put on a project Mustang that Im working on. The problem is the push/pull pots do not fit inside the shallow cavity of my guitar. The guitar itself is pretty thin so I dont want to make the cavity any deeper.

The set comes with four 25k pots, 2 of them being push/pull and the other 2 normal pots. My question is, can I skip out entirely on the push/pull pots and just use the 2 normal pots for installation of the humbuckers?

The only thing I can find for a 1 volume 1 tone
wiring configuration is using 1 of the push/pull pots and 1 of the normal pots.

Hopefully I made myself clear, this is my first post on this board :)

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question about putting Fishman Fluence Humbuckers on a Mustang

Post by HarlowTheFish » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 am

I think you'll have to reach out to FIshman support and they should be able to hook you up (though I've heard they can be a bit "you should get a professional to do this" and not give you one on occasion). If you want the other voices/splits and you have the routing for the upper switches, a guard with 2x2-ways could get you voice 1/2 on one of them and split/hum on the other.

UnkemptCactus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by UnkemptCactus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:58 am

I forgot to mention that I actually dont mind not having the second voicing option. And call me antsy, but I want to put them in as soon as possible, which is why im trying not to use the push pull pots at all. That being said, if I HAVE to use one push pull pot to use the humbuckers at all, then it looks like I can buy a long shaft push pull pot from the fishman website.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:20 am

Trace the wires on the push/pull... are those just coil splits? If so then instead of soldering the two wires to the switch you just solder them together. Most 4-conductor pickups are wired this way so you can split apart 'the red and white wires' and put them to a push/pull switch.

Dry connect the two wires that would go to the switch and then use an ohm meter and verify you still get continuity from the in/out wires left. If ok the way you want then solder it up.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:51 am

jvin248 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:20 am

Trace the wires on the push/pull... are those just coil splits? If so then instead of soldering the two wires to the switch you just solder them together. Most 4-conductor pickups are wired this way so you can split apart 'the red and white wires' and put them to a push/pull switch.

Dry connect the two wires that would go to the switch and then use an ohm meter and verify you still get continuity from the in/out wires left. If ok the way you want then solder it up.

The thing with the Fishmans is that they switching is internal. There's the standard wiring which is easy, but there's also a bunch of pads on the back of the pickup -- ground those out in some kind of custom wiring to activate their function (voice 2/3, splits, HF tilt, Db cut, etc.). So it's not horribly hard to do if you know exactly what connections your switches are making to get some great stuff out of just a superswitch or something like that, but if you're a bit electronically challenged (and I know I am) then it gets tough.
UnkemptCactus wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:58 am
I forgot to mention that I actually dont mind not having the second voicing option. And call me antsy, but I want to put them in as soon as possible, which is why im trying not to use the push pull pots at all. That being said, if I HAVE to use one push pull pot to use the humbuckers at all, then it looks like I can buy a long shaft push pull pot from the fishman website.
Hot from each pickup to the switch, switch output to volume, tone in parallel. Power to both pickups with a battery or whatever you're using, and make sure you have a stereo jack wired in for the battery. Just use the included non-push-pull pots.

Use this diagram: https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uplo ... y-Pack.pdf and just don't bother with the push-pull, leave both ungrounded for voice 1 and grounded for voice 2.

Just my $0.02 though, toss the Ceramic in the neck and the Alnico in the bridge, it's like running an EMG 85 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck. Way more balanced, bridge doesn't get shrill and neck doesn't get muddy.

EDIT: I just realized you probably don't have a blade switch like the one they show, but just do the hot/ground connections the same way as your old pickups on the switch and stuff. It'll probably be fine, but don't @ me on it because I'm barely average at wiring.