Curtis Novak lipstick pickups for Jaguar

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Curtis Novak lipstick pickups for Jaguar

Post by Embenny » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:59 am

jaskah wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:48 pm
so, if i were to go with this idea of series wiring would i need to order the pickups as RW/RP? were the original lipsticks on dan electros, etc RW/RP? it seems they were wired in series.

so, the consensus is to go with the novak low wound 3.4k – 4.0k lipsticks. i just need to know if they should be RW/RP.

and thanks for all this great information. i'm learning a lot here.
Whether series or parallel, RW/RP will give you a quiet middle position. What series requires is a separate ground lead for the cover of the pickup (3 leads). I don't know whether 3 leads are standard for the lipsticks from Curtis, but he could easily set them up that way so be sure to mention it. The vintage Danelectros had 3 leads so I doubt Curtis would cut it down to 2 by default but better safe than sorry.
Rebel_Emperor wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:28 am
No offense, but a lot of things you wrote here were wrong. There's no "faking" RW/RP, when two single pickups are combined in either series or parallel, the only way to get both humcanceling and an in-phase tone is for the magnetic polarities and wind direction to be opposite (the latter being reversible by reversing leads, if the covers ground is independent of the coil start lead).

Old Danelectros only had 1M tone pots. The volume pots were 100k. Big difference.

Lastly, there is no "side effect" of two pickups bleeding into each other in their individual switch positions when wiring a combined series position.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Rebel_Emperor
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rebel_Emperor » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:25 am

Ah, okay, thanks. That was mostly stuff I had heard from my tech, who hadn't worked on Danelectros before. Good to know.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:17 pm

This is one of my favourite guitars on this forum :? :-*
Maggieo wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:40 pm
My old Silvertone's lipsticks are very low output and they're magic. Add a boost or an overdrive, or a RAT, and they're super-articulate monsters.

I'd have Curtis make you a set of vintage spec ones.

Fatdog Danelectro In Tiny Amp Town, November, 2009 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

The PUPs are also very sensitive to pickup height, so it's ridiculously easy to get more oomph out of them, if wanted. Since they're not monster magnets, you have more latitude in positioning them.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:55 pm

garyptaszek wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:17 pm
This is one of my favourite guitars on this forum :? :-*
Maggieo wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:40 pm
My old Silvertone's lipsticks are very low output and they're magic. Add a boost or an overdrive, or a RAT, and they're super-articulate monsters.

I'd have Curtis make you a set of vintage spec ones.

Fatdog Danelectro In Tiny Amp Town, November, 2009 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

The PUPs are also very sensitive to pickup height, so it's ridiculously easy to get more oomph out of them, if wanted. Since they're not monster magnets, you have more latitude in positioning them.
I'm gonna go play it now! Thanks, you!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MirageIndigo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:13 am

Slightly late to the the party, but what values of vol/tone pot did you use with these?

I've shoehorned a Novak lipstick middle position with controls in the upper RC of Our Lady of Perpetual Jazz, but I can't seem to find out what pot values are recommended (I just have the one middle start style lipstick pickup).