Anybody upgrade the Squier VM Jazzmaster Baritone or Jazzmaster Special Bridge?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
gvl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Anybody upgrade the Squier VM Jazzmaster Baritone or Jazzmaster Special Bridge?

Post by gvl » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:58 pm

This seems to be the weakest link in a solid guitar. I’d love a drop in replacement but I’m not sure one exists. I’m leaning towards a short Tele style bridge.

Anybody have success with changing the bridge?

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anybody upgrade the Squier VM Jazzmaster Baritone or Jazzmaster Special Bridge?

Post by hexes » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:15 pm

gvl wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:58 pm
This seems to be the weakest link in a solid guitar. I’d love a drop in replacement but I’m not sure one exists. I’m leaning towards a short Tele style bridge.

Anybody have success with changing the bridge?
3 brass tele saddle modded toronado bridge could be cool, if you don't want to deal with strat saddles. half tele bridge could work too. the toronado will cover the existing holes and keep the visual feel. half tele MAY not cover the holes. my wilkinson half tele would not cover them on that size bridge.

i'm contemplating modding my toronado bridge on my 27" baritone with my compensated tele saddles from the wilkinson, but laziness and loc-tite are winning out. i don't mind the strat saddles that much.

gvl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Anybody upgrade the Squier VM Jazzmaster Baritone or Jazzmaster Special Bridge?

Post by gvl » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:27 pm

I’d love to put a Tornado style bridge in but I haven’t seen any top loading ones.

Tornado style bridge with Tele saddles sounds like a Duo-Sonic bridge. Those seem impossible to find.

schroeder
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by schroeder » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:20 pm

I assume you mean the fixed bridge version Vintage Modified. I just modified the bridge. Drilled 3 more holes for Tele style saddles. Then needed to add thin shims to the slots in the bridge because the spacing on the Tele saddle height screws was not correct. Finally drilled out the front bridge plate holes to allow the mounting screws to fit through. Plus a couple extra rear mounting holes added. That fixed the bridge tightly. One last detail.... I added a baritone conversion neck on mine. The bridge works great either way.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:13 am

gvl wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:27 pm
I’d love to put a Tornado style bridge in but I haven’t seen any top loading ones.

Tornado style bridge with Tele saddles sounds like a Duo-Sonic bridge. Those seem impossible to find.
the mod is like this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=118793#p1663866

drill 3 new holes in the toronado for tele saddles and then you've got top loader slots from the old intonation screws.

you can also do it to your bridge as mentioned above. i just think the toronado bridge looks a little more attractive, but would require more modification to the guitar. i forgot the two outer screws were actually height adjustable bridge posts.