Brandonwound pickups?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
User avatar
HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:12 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:45 pm
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:17 pm
Bah look at you guys being safe and not jumping on random weird pickup sets :P

Fuck it, these are way cheaper than anything else and I think they sound fine on the tube. I'll take one for the team and pick some up for this build sometime in the next couple of months, just need some more structurally critical parts before I get to these -- the pickups will blow my monthly parts budget pretty much by themselves, so I'm gonna get some tuners, a nut, and some screws first.

If I don't like them, honestly no huge loss, I'll save them for something else and hop on some Fralins or Kinmans later.
Have you grabbed a set yet? I’m curious to read your review.
Haven't yet, I've been putting it off while waiting for other parts, but it's pretty much just pickups and neck hardware (tuners, nut, neck plate & screws) aside from a hypothetical instance of buying a switch without measuring cavity depth and needing either a new switch or a little bit of rout finessing.

User avatar
ARAMP1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:48 pm
Location: Memphis, TN

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by ARAMP1 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:56 am

He is redoing a set of my re-issue wide ranges right now. I should have everything ready to go on my tele when I get them back in the mail.

User avatar
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 pm
Location: Walkersville, MD
Contact:

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by Surfysonic » Thu May 13, 2021 1:53 pm

I have Fralin Hum-Cancelliing Jazzmaster pickups in one of my partsbuilds and it's fantastic. I recently put a set of Novak JM-HC gold foil with S1 switch capability to go from single coil to humbucker mode. Same with my Squier Classic Vibe JM where I put in some Joe Barden JBE Two-Tone Jazzmaster pickups. I love all of them but don't want to repeat sets in my new Fender AO '60s JM, as to keep my JM's different from each other.

So I researched for quite a bit. Of the Kinmans, the FatMaster pickups sounded alright, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I was thinking I was going to just get another set of the Fralin HC JM pickups.

Then I found this thread and checked out the Brandonwound demo. I think they sound pretty much exactly what I've been looking for.

I pulled the trigger on an Aged White Noiseless Jazzmaster set . After I receive and install them, I'll do a pickup comparison video of them with the other sets I have.

A big thank you to HarloweTheFish for this topic. I was getting worn down in locating traditional JM tones in a hum-cancelling set (that I didn't already have). The cost savings as compared to Kinman, JBE, and Fralin doesn't hurt, either. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

User avatar
HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Thu May 13, 2021 2:51 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:53 pm
I have Fralin Hum-Cancelliing Jazzmaster pickups in one of my partsbuilds and it's fantastic. I recently put a set of Novak JM-HC gold foil with S1 switch capability to go from single coil to humbucker mode. Same with my Squier Classic Vibe JM where I put in some Joe Barden JBE Two-Tone Jazzmaster pickups. I love all of them but don't want to repeat sets in my new Fender AO '60s JM, as to keep my JM's different from each other.

So I researched for quite a bit. Of the Kinmans, the FatMaster pickups sounded alright, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I was thinking I was going to just get another set of the Fralin HC JM pickups.

Then I found this thread and checked out the Brandonwound demo. I think they sound pretty much exactly what I've been looking for.

I pulled the trigger on an Aged White Noiseless Jazzmaster set . After I receive and install them, I'll do a pickup comparison video of them with the other sets I have.

A big thank you to HarloweTheFish for this topic. I was getting worn down in locating traditional JM tones in a hum-cancelling set (that I didn't already have). The cost savings as compared to Kinman, JBE, and Fralin doesn't hurt, either. 8)
<3 for jumping on them for science, my dude

My current CC just died and I'm *still* waiting for parts, but to be honest this set's what I'm going for in this current build, probably with a Wilde L280S in the middle.

User avatar
stillzZz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:09 am

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by stillzZz » Thu May 13, 2021 10:51 pm

I put a set in my jmjm and they are fantastic. Can't believe the price, but heard great things about him from others who have used his humbuckers. They definitely sound like a Jazzmaster to me and they really are as noiseless as you could hope for. Also, as far as I know, he's not new to this, just low key and there's not a bunch of hype or marketing. Real sleepers.

User avatar
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 pm
Location: Walkersville, MD
Contact:

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by Surfysonic » Tue May 18, 2021 8:03 am

Very stoked to hear that, stillzZz - my order is complete and shipped - hopefully, the pickups arrive in a couple of days. :w00t:
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16428
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 20, 2021 10:37 am

HNB wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:24 pm
I tried his P90 Jazzmaster set. I liked them, but sold them because I hadn't figured out shimming and the neck pickup was too close to the strings... :fp: I figured that out later and would have kept them. Oh well. :D
Don't feel bad. Let me guess, you had to put a shim between the pickup cover and the pickup itself? I didn't know that either, and recently contacted Kinman and was like, I gotta send these pickups back and shit and they were like, duh, just put a fucking shim in there.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16428
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 20, 2021 10:37 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:03 am
Very stoked to hear that, stillzZz - my order is complete and shipped - hopefully, the pickups arrive in a couple of days. :w00t:
So what's the deal with these pickups?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 pm
Location: Walkersville, MD
Contact:

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by Surfysonic » Thu May 20, 2021 11:22 am

They arrived today. Hopefully, I'll be able to install them tonight in my AO '60s JM. I'll report back and try to do a quick YouTube demo soon after. :)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

User avatar
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 11661
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington
Contact:

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by HNB » Thu May 20, 2021 12:39 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:37 am
HNB wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:24 pm
I tried his P90 Jazzmaster set. I liked them, but sold them because I hadn't figured out shimming and the neck pickup was too close to the strings... :fp: I figured that out later and would have kept them. Oh well. :D
Don't feel bad. Let me guess, you had to put a shim between the pickup cover and the pickup itself? I didn't know that either, and recently contacted Kinman and was like, I gotta send these pickups back and shit and they were like, duh, just put a fucking shim in there.
Naw it was the pole pieces in the bottom. It was hitting the bottom of the cavity and caused them to sit too high. I could have shimmed the neck to get it higher up though.
@}--Christopher--{@
Lilith Guitars

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16428
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:22 am
They arrived today. Hopefully, I'll be able to install them tonight in my AO '60s JM. I'll report back and try to do a quick YouTube demo soon after. :)
Thanks- hey, can you take some pictures under the cover? I'm a little curious if we are looking at a stacked pickup or a side by side pickup or what. Jared doesn't seem to want to say, which is fine. But I'm a little curious.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16428
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 20, 2021 12:43 pm

HNB wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:39 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:37 am
HNB wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:24 pm
I tried his P90 Jazzmaster set. I liked them, but sold them because I hadn't figured out shimming and the neck pickup was too close to the strings... :fp: I figured that out later and would have kept them. Oh well. :D
Don't feel bad. Let me guess, you had to put a shim between the pickup cover and the pickup itself? I didn't know that either, and recently contacted Kinman and was like, I gotta send these pickups back and shit and they were like, duh, just put a fucking shim in there.
Naw it was the pole pieces in the bottom. It was hitting the bottom of the cavity and caused them to sit too high. I could have shimmed the neck to get it higher up though.
Ah, OK. I guess I'm my own special kind of stupid after all.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 pm
Location: Walkersville, MD
Contact:

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by Surfysonic » Thu May 20, 2021 5:40 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:42 pm
Surfysonic wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:22 am
They arrived today. Hopefully, I'll be able to install them tonight in my AO '60s JM. I'll report back and try to do a quick YouTube demo soon after. :)
Thanks- hey, can you take some pictures under the cover? I'm a little curious if we are looking at a stacked pickup or a side by side pickup or what. Jared doesn't seem to want to say, which is fine. But I'm a little curious.
I'm sorry, I didn't see your post until just now and I already put the guitar back together - I can take a look under the hood on one of the pickups and take some photos.

They are as promised - quiet as a mouse and definitely retain that Jazzmaster tone. To me, they sound really great! :w00t:

I'll compare them to my Fralin Hum-Cancelling JM pickups in my other JM tomorrow. They seem to have almost that level of clarity on par with my Novak JM-HC gold foils. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16428
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by Larry Mal » Fri May 21, 2021 9:29 am

Thank you! I might pick a set up.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 pm
Location: Walkersville, MD
Contact:

Re: Brandonwound pickups?

Post by Surfysonic » Fri May 21, 2021 1:24 pm

Sure thing! I bought mine directly from them but I think they also sell them via Reverb. Photos as promised - I took shots of the neck pickup:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Post Reply