Prepping for first JM assembly project

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Prepping for first JM assembly project

Post by MirageIndigo » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:23 pm

I just ordered a warmoth JM body to go with a really old, 9.5" strat neck I had lying around from an earlier project that never really came together.

I think I have almsot all the pieces ordered or already in stock (I build amps, mostly). I've also assembled a bunch of guitars before, so looking forward to this project. It's basically a LPB + maple JM with Novak/Mastery hw but with a lipstick pickup in the middle switched in using the rhythm circuit

Questions:
- What do I need to mechanically mount the pots in the rhythm circuit? I'm assuming it's the fender pot mounting bar and a pair of the thumbwheel knobs? Do I need minipots or will regular CTS/alpha size work?

- Has anyone put a freeway switch in the lower position? Will it fit? I was going to use a freeway 03x03 in the lower horn for a single position N/series/parallel/B feed to V/T then that to the top horn for a dedicated Middle / both / Lead switch where the rhythm circuit would normally be.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Prepping for first JM assembly project

Post by bodhi » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:59 pm

MirageIndigo wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:23 pm
- What do I need to mechanically mount the pots in the rhythm circuit? I'm assuming it's the fender pot mounting bar and a pair of the thumbwheel knobs? Do I need minipots or will regular CTS/alpha size work?
Regular guitar size pots are too large, and you'd ideally need to verify that the smaller pots have the right size shaft for the thumbwheel (roller) knob hole. Might not be the case if ordering both metric and imperial stuff for different parts if you're doing it online. You can usually drill out knob holes or use brass ring adapters on the knobs if it's already too late for this, but might be a minor problem to avoid in the other case.
MirageIndigo wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:23 pm
- Has anyone put a freeway switch in the lower position? Will it fit? I was going to use a freeway 03x03 in the lower horn for a single position N/series/parallel/B feed to V/T then that to the top horn for a dedicated Middle / both / Lead switch where the rhythm circuit would normally be.
You'll have to check your body route, if I remeber correctly off the top of my head the freeway switch has a diameter of 36mm which is larger than what the template I've been looking at has.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MirageIndigo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:29 pm

Update to my own questions:
Will a freeway switch fit?
A: It depends where they drilled the lower switch hole in your pickguard.

For a warmoth P/G, yes it fits.
For my 62AVRI with anodized, it will not. I had to go back to the right angle 3 way switchcraft style when I was trying to instal the blackbobbins.

Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beebe » Sat May 01, 2021 10:46 am

I'm sure the OP has this figured out by now, so I'm not sure if this is any help, but in general, for a Warmoth body, I like to look at the hardware that Warmoth offers. You can navigate by model and get an idea of what parts you need, and then get them elsewhere if you wish.
Without music, life would be a mistake.