Post pictures of your Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Mustang with Alternative Pickups

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post pictures of your Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Mustang with Alternative Pickups

Post by jvin248 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:00 am

... Where you've replace the regular generic style pickups with the wild, cool, fun, or even wacky pickup options.
Goldfoils? WRHBs? MiniHums? Strats? Telecaster? Lipsticks? Gretsch style Dynsonics/Filtertrons?

Describe any wiring mods or unique options like coil splitting, series, out of phase, etc.

Not to lead with offsets, I'm including some examples from other guitar styles.

Steve Morse Telecaster, a very complicated guitar that covered three or more bands he played in simultaneously

Brent Mason Telecaster, blender pot adds the middle pickup to a regular Tele

Robbie Robertson Stratocaster ... pickguard change for a classic SSS layout and adds a series push/pull.

Last edited by jvin248 on Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Post pictures of your Jazzmaster or Jaguar with Alternative Pickups

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Oh man, this is my jam. Let's go.

Jaguar with Electric XII pickups by Novak, wired so I can do things like the bass strings of the neck pickup with the treble strings of the bridge pickup, with all pairings of pickup halves being humcancelling:

Novak Guyatone goldfoils in my MIJ Jag:

Tv Jones filtertrons in my old Blacktop jag:

Burns mini-Trisonics in my MIJ HH Jag:

Firebirds in my JM/Jazzbird build. The middle pickup is a concealed Phoenix pickup blended in parallel via the second volume knob:

Big Birds (PAF-sized Firebirds) in my gunmetal MIJ Jag. It has Triple Shot pickup rings and the pickups were wound with each bobbin having a different wire gauge and magnet strength so all pickup combinations sound unique:

You asked about Jags and JMs, but how about a Mustang? Here are G&L Z-coils in my Bullet, with a Free-Way switch to allow 6 pickup combos (all the strat ones plus neck and bridge):

Currently on my bench, awaiting a few parts that are taking their sweet time in USPS limbo, I've got my red Blacktop Jaguar with 1961 Bass VI pickups by Curtis Novak, as pictured on the right:

...And I have one more mad science pickup experiment on the bench, but no photos. It'll be a purple Jaguar thinline that'll have D'Urbano Phoenix pickups (they look like firebirds but sound like single coils).

All my Jags have the "all off=series" mod and treble bleed mods on the volume knobs. Most but not all have 1k tone pots in the rhythm circuit, so I can choose either a brighter or warmer tone instead of being stuck with the warm one.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:27 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:25 pm
Oh man, this is my jam. Let's go.

Jaguar with Electric XII pickups by Novak, wired so I can do things like the bass strings of the neck pickup with the treble strings of the bridge pickup, with all pairings of pickup halves being humcancelling:

That's something I always wanted to try but never found the time to. How does it work out in practice? Is it noticeable when you strum a full chord at once?
That's a cool array of pickups to chose from, by the way. :)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:11 pm

epizootics wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:27 pm
That's something I always wanted to try but never found the time to. How does it work out in practice? Is it noticeable when you strum a full chord at once?
That's a cool array of pickups to chose from, by the way. :)
Yeah, it's absolutely noticeable, but how much it's noticeable depends on the tone and part being played. It stands out more at low-medium gain when arpeggiated or when riffs involve fewer strings at a time, and less when there's something like heavy fuzz or a ton of modulation going on.

I did it by getting an upper plate from Faction cut for two Mustang 3-way switches. I then ran each pickup pair to its own switch, using the schematic for the Pawn Shop Mustang (coil A - series - coil B), then to the lead circuit switch plate.

And thanks, it's fun having diverse pickup options. Unless it's a vintage guitar, my first question is usually, "what new type of pickup can I cram in this?"

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 am

Neither a Jazzmaster nor a Jaguar, but something both similar and entirely different, a Squier Jagmaster Bottom Master Baritone, with a Lindy Fralin P92 in the neck and a Gretsch Blacktop Filterton in the bridge; Also PAF style Duncan Jazz & JB in my Player Standard Jazzmaster:
also, my Warmoth/Allparts Barione Jazzmaster with Lindy Fralin P90s:

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 am

This thread is my jam too!! Especially with the potential crazy wiring ideas!!
mbene085 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:25 pm
Novak Guyatone goldfoils in my MIJ Jag:
All of yours are amazing, but your gold foil Jag really speaks to me. How do they sound with the short scale of the Jag?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:49 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 am
All of yours are amazing, but your gold foil Jag really speaks to me. How do they sound with the short scale of the Jag?
Thanks. The short answer on the Guyatone pickups is that you could find out yourself, since I've been low-key selling the loaded pickguard on OSG ;) (I think I bump the thread like once every 6 months?). They're surface-mount so they're attached to the pickguard and fit on top of the stock routing. I keep wavering on the idea of selling them and letting the sale thread disappear into the depths because I do like them, but haven't really been using single coils a lot lately. And because they're fully encased in a grounded cover, they're not even noisy for single coils.

They sound clearer than the DeArmond/Rowe flavour of goldfoil, but are still significantly beefier than Jaguar pickups. They have the very different, rounded attack to notes that all goldfoils seem to share. Where a Jaguar pickup's attack is like a sharp sting, these are more like a thwack. Very different character both clean and with gain. It makes them feel a little bit compressed to me, and I find the bridge pickup way more versatile. I remember thinking "oh....I've never wanted to use a jag bridge pickup so much before" when I first got them. There are lots of riffs that I'd never consider using a vintage jag bridge pickup for that just sing on that bridge goldfoil. I even left the 1meg pots in there if I recall correctly. Both of them in series is super thick sounding and just ridiculously satisfying when run into some fuzz.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:53 am

My Sparkle Blaster. Rhythm circuit is not connected.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:00 am

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:49 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 am
Thanks. The short answer on the Guyatone pickups is that you could find out yourself, since I've been low-key selling the loaded pickguard on OSG ;) (I think I bump the thread like once every 6 months?). They're surface-mount so they're attached to the pickguard and fit on top of the stock routing. I keep wavering on the idea of selling them and letting the sale thread disappear into the depths because I do like them, but haven't really been using single coils a lot lately. And because they're fully encased in a grounded cover, they're not even noisy for single coils.

They sound clearer than the DeArmond/Rowe flavour of goldfoil, but are still significantly beefier than Jaguar pickups. They have the very different, rounded attack to notes that all goldfoils seem to share. Where a Jaguar pickup's attack is like a sharp sting, these are more like a thwack. Very different character both clean and with gain. It makes them feel a little bit compressed to me, and I find the bridge pickup way more versatile. I remember thinking "oh....I've never wanted to use a jag bridge pickup so much before" when I first got them. There are lots of riffs that I'd never consider using a vintage jag bridge pickup for that just sing on that bridge goldfoil. I even left the 1meg pots in there if I recall correctly. Both of them in series is super thick sounding and just ridiculously satisfying when run into some fuzz.
Dude, if it was lefty, I'd be tempted ;D That's a very interesting desciption. I've been dying to try some goldfoils, and I personally think that they look amazing in Jags. There's so much you could do with that circuit too...

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:53 am

:? :? Holy crap. Purple/black sparkle with a gold guard looks WAY better than I would've thought by that description.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:04 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:53 am

YEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

That, my friend, is hot shit on a stick.
This is an excellent rectangle

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:35 am

+2. When all the sparkle is just barely enough.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

lamp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lamp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:58 am

P90 Jag

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:07 am

Both my Jaguars have alternative pickups (GFS Surf90s/SD P-Rails)
In the middle is my girlfriend's new CV Jaguar (still with the original pickups)! ;-)

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:34 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:35 am
+2. When all the sparkle is just barely enough.
- How sparkly do you want your guitar? :ph34r:
- Yes. :shifty:
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:39 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:07 am
GFS Surf 90s are another pickup I've been very interested in. I've been thinking about putting some in a hollow-/semi-hollow/thinline guitar.