Project idea questions - two piece Sazmaster (Jazzmaster/Saz) -

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
kick_the_reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Project idea questions - two piece Sazmaster (Jazzmaster/Saz) -

Post by kick_the_reverb » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:03 am

Hi all,
I have been collecting some parts with the goal of having a double-neck instrument built.
I am finding that with my new band (The Scimitars -Middle Eastern Influenced Surf), I want to combine the Electric Saz bağlama and a Jazzmaster in the same songs. Of course it's awkward without a double neck.
For that purpose I acquired a Saz neck and a Jazzmaster neck. The configuration that makes sense to me is Saz on top, Jazzmaster on bottom.

I am concerned about portability and travel, and thought perhaps the body can be built to be two piece (horizontal separation line, maybe with a groove/tongue letting the top part slide into the bottom).

I got some good construction advice from Mel Bergman, and I have a local guy (The Repair Zone in San Diego) that is willing to take on the project.

In order for the local guy not to have to reinvent the wheel for the Jazzmaster part (shape, routing, etc), I thought of trying to get a body from someone who is already making Jazzmaster bodies.
Problem is that in order to facilitate the two-piece construction, the routing should be without the top rhythm-circuit cavity. Maybe even the top of the body left with extra material to allow for final shaping. Pickup line and below should be vintage-spec Jazzmaster.

Anyone has any ideas in mind in regards to who can do something like that (supply the Jazzmaster routed body part)?
I know, for example, places like MJT buy bodies from Wildwood Manufacturing, but Wildwood doesn't do direct retail.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
Ran

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Project idea questions - two piece Sazmaster (Jazzmaster/Saz) -

Post by nanamour » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:09 pm

I don't have any worthwhile suggestions or advice, but let me to register my excitement for this project with a few of these:
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I've passively contemplated exactly this sort of thing since seeing this lovely machine wielded by the guitarist of Anatolian psych juggernauts 3 Hürel:

Best of luck on getting this put together; I'll be keeping an eager eye out for updates!

kick_the_reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kick_the_reverb » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:19 pm

Thanks nanamour! That Strat-Saz was certainly one the inspirations.
Being that I play the Saz much higher, and taking advice from Mel Bergman about keeping the dominant neck on the bottom, I thought Saz on top would serve me better.

Ran

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Subscribed.

Nothing to add but good luck with the project, also wanted to do this myself, I've had to make do with dodgy fretless necks and such.

If we get to discuss killer Turkish music in this thread then all the better.

Nanamour starting strong with 3 Hürel. Superb band!

On the subject, does anyone know the brand that makes this electric Saz, very hard to find in Europe currently, used to see loads about on eBay.

kick_the_reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kick_the_reverb » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks mijmog. I can't tell the brand of the Saz in the video. In regards to electric Saz options on eBay, things starting at $700 and up are the ones that look decent. Buying used locally is of course not an option in most cases unless you get lucky. I stumbled on my electric Saz after buying a guitar neck with microtonal frets from a guy in France. When the neck didn't work out for me I saw that he also had an electric Saz for sale and got it.
Of course Saz necks are set, so people don't sell separate Saz necks. The extra neck I got for this double-neck project is from a Cümbüş-Saz.

Ran

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:27 pm

This will be cool! Subscribed.
Watching the corners turn corners

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:16 pm

Beats me, but I almost bought a baglama saz this weekend, it's on the list. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:03 am

Does anyone know if this a bass saz on the cover of the Mogollar record?

beautiful tune

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:54 am

Last edited by jvin248 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:55 am

mijmog wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 pm
On the subject, does anyone know the brand that makes this electric Saz, very hard to find in Europe currently, used to see loads about on eBay.
What a fantastic performance! Thanks for posting it!!

KEXP always seem to come up with the goods.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:59 am

mijmog wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:03 am
Does anyone know if this a bass saz on the cover of the Mogollar record?

beautiful tune

There are a couple of main types of saz from what I know, a cura saz (short) and a Bağlama (long) saz.

But there seem to be some different kinds:

The most commonly used string folk instrument in Turkey, the bağlama has seven strings divided into courses of two, two and three. It can be tuned in various ways and takes different names according to region and size: Bağlama, Divan Sazı, Bozuk, Çöğür, Kopuz Irızva, Cura, Tambura, etc. The cura is the smallest member of the bağlama family: larger than the cura is the tambura, tuned an octave lower. The Divan sazı, the largest instrument in the family, is tuned one octave lower still.

So maybe that is the Divan Sazi- I'm no expert of any kind, I'm just a guy that's been thinking about buying a saz for some time and could be wrong about any of this.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:35 am

Maybe a Warmoth Split Jazzmaster body? It omits the rhythm circuit from the routing. You can use the regular Warmoth Jazzmaster pickguard on these as well. I know the Warmoth Jazzmaster pickguards aren't vintage spec, but then neither are Bağlama necks.
Doug
@dpcannafax

kick_the_reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kick_the_reverb » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:20 am

Thanks jvin248!
Those tracks could be the solution, and I also thought that a modular approach would serve me better (so, I can have other top options besides the Saz).

This is great, much appreciated.
Ran

jvin248 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:54 am

Multi Neck Guitar - "The Multitar"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLz5cQAWLA
Contact Tim Sway ... https://newperspectivesmusic.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hjDeSOUvM

kick_the_reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kick_the_reverb » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:25 am

Wow ThePearDream, this is pretty much what I was looking for.
I do prefer vintage spec everything, but of course splitting hairs won't get me anywhere with this project.
The pickguard could never be a full standard Fender one anyway if the body would be cut horizontally above the pickups.

Thanks ThePearDream, this really helps me!
Ran

ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:35 am
Maybe a Warmoth Split Jazzmaster body? It omits the rhythm circuit from the routing. You can use the regular Warmoth Jazzmaster pickguard on these as well. I know the Warmoth Jazzmaster pickguards aren't vintage spec, but then neither are Bağlama necks.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:34 am

[Ignore me, I’m just here to say that this is a fantastic thread! This forum is still full of nice surprises...]
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"