JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering

Post by sal paradise » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:26 pm

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:13 pm
CROSS_guitars wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:06 pm
This is probably the wrong thread for this but it's about the Jag-stang.

I was browsing around instagram and noticed this Jag-stang listed by some international store seller.
And it has the correct control plate!! NOT the wonky new ones.

So, I'm guessing the 2022 batch of these has the correct control plate.

I've ordered one of these from a local supplier so I'm hoping I get one of these batch.
Just noticed this post. Good catch!

My apologies for the delay. I've been having some health issues and I've also been being a live in caretaker for a family member and their needs are many so i have been quite busy.

Having said that, we are working on discovering the neck profile of the Jagstang prototype for all of you. We definitely have a couple sets of measurements, one set that may be Larry's Mustang notes as well as measurements off Kurt's compstang. I have also contacted the buyer of the compstang and have been trying to convince him to allow us to take the profile measurements of the Compstang. However, this route may be a dead end, but you never know.

If anyone here has a vintage mustang from 1969 or 1970 and are willing to take a profile measurement for us, it would be greatly appreciated. We could use some samples in an attempt to match.
Someone selling a compstang on the f/s section: https://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewto ... 4&t=123148
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:32 am

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:26 pm
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:13 pm
CROSS_guitars wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:06 pm
This is probably the wrong thread for this but it's about the Jag-stang.

I was browsing around instagram and noticed this Jag-stang listed by some international store seller.
And it has the correct control plate!! NOT the wonky new ones.

So, I'm guessing the 2022 batch of these has the correct control plate.

I've ordered one of these from a local supplier so I'm hoping I get one of these batch.
Just noticed this post. Good catch!

My apologies for the delay. I've been having some health issues and I've also been being a live in caretaker for a family member and their needs are many so i have been quite busy.

Having said that, we are working on discovering the neck profile of the Jagstang prototype for all of you. We definitely have a couple sets of measurements, one set that may be Larry's Mustang notes as well as measurements off Kurt's compstang. I have also contacted the buyer of the compstang and have been trying to convince him to allow us to take the profile measurements of the Compstang. However, this route may be a dead end, but you never know.

If anyone here has a vintage mustang from 1969 or 1970 and are willing to take a profile measurement for us, it would be greatly appreciated. We could use some samples in an attempt to match.
Someone selling a compstang on the f/s section: https://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewto ... 4&t=123148
Thanks for the heads up!

aelling
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by aelling » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:23 am

Hey, I see you've been looking for 1969-1970 CompStang owners to take some measurements, so I took some from my 1969. I didn't take any photos of it but I used a digital caliper so it should be good.

I measured the nut width, neck profile thickness at 1st & 12th fret and the heel, I included the heel because it's kind of a loose fit in the neck pocket, there's a 0.025" / 0.62mm gap on the bass side of the neck, to the upper side of the neck poecket. I've been wondering if it's the same on others.

Here are the measurements:
Nut width: 40.52mm / 1.595"
1st fret: 20.57mm / 0.810"
12th fret: 22.52mm / 0.886"
Heel width: 55.05mm / 2.167"

If you need anything else measured let me know, hope this helps.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:54 pm

aelling wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:23 am
Hey, I see you've been looking for 1969-1970 CompStang owners to take some measurements, so I took some from my 1969. I didn't take any photos of it but I used a digital caliper so it should be good.

I measured the nut width, neck profile thickness at 1st & 12th fret and the heel, I included the heel because it's kind of a loose fit in the neck pocket, there's a 0.025" / 0.62mm gap on the bass side of the neck, to the upper side of the neck poecket. I've been wondering if it's the same on others.

Here are the measurements:
Nut width: 40.52mm / 1.595"
1st fret: 20.57mm / 0.810"
12th fret: 22.52mm / 0.886"
Heel width: 55.05mm / 2.167"

If you need anything else measured let me know, hope this helps.
Thank you tremendously!

There are a couple things we'd love to get in afdition if at all possible.

First, a picture of the back of the neck, showcasing the transition from first fret to the back of the head stock.

The second would be to measure the profile. Essentially, this could be done by wrapping a piece of solder around the 1st and 12th frets.

We're extremely interested in the back profile because we believe that the two necks, the prototype and the original are similar, with the prototype getting a 60's profile.

Much appreciated. Thank you for your help.

aelling
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by aelling » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:55 pm

Here's a couple of photos of the neck, wasn't sure if this is what you meant so let me know.

My dad has one of those contour gauges to measure the back profile, but he has to find it for me because I've looked and can't find it, he did give a vague answer "somewhere in the basement".

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:03 am

Thank you so much for the measurements & the pictures, aelling! Much appreciated.

The photos are good as what we're looking for is how the geometry of the back profile and the transitioning from the shaft towards the headstock compares with Kurt's compstang.

The contour gauge would definitely help us tremendously with the data as it not only would give us a crucial reference but I would also digitalized it on CAD to make a pdf anyone can download & print to check against their competition mustang if they want to participate in this particular task and push things forward.

Thanks again for your precious support!

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:32 pm

If I were you and wanted to refinish the Jagstang. I would not remove the old finish but rather take some fine scouch bright and lightly rough up the whole body and then shoot your color and clear right over the existing finish.

This will do 3 things.
1. You won't have to remove the original finish, which will be a pain in the ass, and not worth it. I promise. I've done it twice and it wasn't smart either time.

2. you will be starting with a flat, smooth, hard surface that will require no filling or sealing.

3. If you or someone else would ever want to put it back to stock, you could remove the new finish (depending on what you use probably a solvent that would not harm the poly underneath) and then polish back up the old finish and it will be like it never happened.
JohnnyJaguar wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:24 am
Ok I see
Thanks !

Amazing amount of work an research, thanks for your time

Cool color in shell pink, i always wanted a shell pink guitar,
I now think about refinish my future jagstang : I’m about to buy a 2002/2004 blue stang, what about refinishing it ? I mean, is it a collectible guitare ?
Personally I don’t think so. Maybe first series from 96 will be sought after cause they are first run
I use to don’t give a f about reselling prices and do what I want/need on my jags, but what about this serie ?
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

aelling
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by aelling » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:34 am

Amon 7.L wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:03 am
Thank you so much for the measurements & the pictures, aelling! Much appreciated.

The photos are good as what we're looking for is how the geometry of the back profile and the transitioning from the shaft towards the headstock compares with Kurt's compstang.

The contour gauge would definitely help us tremendously with the data as it not only would give us a crucial reference but I would also digitalized it on CAD to make a pdf anyone can download & print to check against their competition mustang if they want to participate in this particular task and push things forward.

Here's the measure, I tried my best to line the straight pins with the maple only but it was a little tough doing this against a glossy finish. Also, I apologize for the bad lighting.

EDIT: Forgot (if it wasn't obvious anyway) to mention, measuring at 1st fret on the right, and 12th fret on the left.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:58 am

aelling wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:34 am
Amon 7.L wrote:

Here's the measure, I tried my best to line the straight pins with the maple only but it was a little tough doing this against a glossy finish. Also, I apologize for the bad lighting.

Thanks so much aelling, this is great!

In order to properly digitalize the profiles on CAD, do you mind pencil trace those profiles on paper so that I can work with a flat image?
I made this downloadable A4 pdf you can just print it at 1:1 scale and it's ready to go for tracing purposes:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bo9odfpt8xhry ... 0.pdf?dl=0

With the pencil tracing I will make the digital counterpart available for anyone to be downloaded as a printable pdf in case it's useful for reference. :)

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:59 pm

aelling wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:34 am
Amon 7.L wrote:

EDIT: Forgot (if it wasn't obvious anyway) to mention, measuring at 1st fret on the right, and 12th fret on the left.

Just wanted to say, thank you so much for all your help. I haven't been super active lately due to some IRL stuff, but I do want you to know I appreciate everything.

Just as a note for anyone here who may reach out to me with information or questions, I may not be quick to respond but don't worry, I won't ignore you and will get back to you as soon as possible. But I am hopping on at least once a day, so i'm not missing too much. Hope everyone reading this is doing well and we can't wait to share our next set of findings with you.

aelling
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by aelling » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:53 pm

Amon 7.L wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:58 am

In order to properly digitalize the profiles on CAD, do you mind pencil trace those profiles on paper so that I can work with a flat image?
I made this downloadable A4 pdf you can just print it at 1:1 scale and it's ready to go for tracing purposes:

With the pencil tracing I will make the digital counterpart available for anyone to be downloaded as a printable pdf in case it's useful for reference. :)
Is it okay with a photo of the drawing or do you need it scanned? I don't have a scanner so.. :unsure:

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:33 am

aelling wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:53 pm
Amon 7.L wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:58 am

Is it okay with a photo of the drawing or do you need it scanned? I don't have a scanner so.. :unsure:

Scanned would be ideal as photos are prone to perspective distortion, compromising the accuracy.

I already analysed on CAD the precious picture of the feeler gauge you posted earlier and I've got a very big surprise.
As the picture is slightly altered by the perspective I'd prefer to check the overlay results against a flat scan of the back profile in order to be able to confirm or dismiss the outcome.

Me and AcrylicSuperman have been discussing about it and, as he said, we can't wait to share our new founding (we might be on to something :ph34r: ).

That's why a scan would be so important in this case.
If you don't have access to a scanner, I'll try working with a photo and see what we get.

Again, thank you very much already for your precious help, it means a lot to us.

aelling
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by aelling » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:39 am

My dad can scan it at work, I will have a pdf tomorrow if he remembers.

aelling
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by aelling » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 pm

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:26 am

aelling wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 pm
Here's the scan.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rvsZoy ... sp=sharing
aelling: Thank you so much to you and your dad for your massive help.

Now that your scan is already available to download, it makes things easy to any other competition mustang owner who would like to check this profile against their necks to see how they compare...
The more information we can gather, the better the insight would be for the assessment.

Please guys, do chime in, there's strength and knowledge in numbers.