JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering

Post by HNB » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:54 am

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:43 am
I'm actually slowly (very slowly unfortunately) in the process of building one. Not sure if I am going 34" scale or 32" yet.

Mine will be a little different than that though. I plan to build 2 of them. One for myself and one for my little cousin who picked up the bass and fell in love with it. I figured if she sticks with it, I'll build her one so she can have a quality instrument in her arsenal.

I'm planning to make mine purely a P bass, but I'll end up making hers a PJ. Probably wont use the mustang bass bridge but just a standard one.
If you made a third unfinished p bass body, I would happily finish it and give it a good home. Hit me up. :D I like contours though if that is possible. :D
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:28 am

Amon 7.L wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:53 am
Well, someone actually built it with great success, look it up:
https://www.jag-stang.com/2014/08/the-jag-stang-bass/

Full build from our very own punkacc9:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=67052
That's awesome, thanks!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:14 pm

I love it as a bass.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:31 pm

HNB wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:54 am
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:43 am
I'm actually slowly (very slowly unfortunately) in the process of building one. Not sure if I am going 34" scale or 32" yet.

Mine will be a little different than that though. I plan to build 2 of them. One for myself and one for my little cousin who picked up the bass and fell in love with it. I figured if she sticks with it, I'll build her one so she can have a quality instrument in her arsenal.

I'm planning to make mine purely a P bass, but I'll end up making hers a PJ. Probably wont use the mustang bass bridge but just a standard one.
If you made a third unfinished p bass body, I would happily finish it and give it a good home. Hit me up. :D I like contours though if that is possible. :D
I'll see what I can do when I get that far. Progress is super slow on them right now. Still in template phase. But I've had a lot going on these last couple years. Been a care taker and fighting with health issues some myself. But if you don't mind a bit of a wait, I'd be willing to build you one when I get it settled. I'll only charge for cost of materials and shipping. Sound good?

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:39 pm

As mentioned in the previous entry, by analysing the spec sheets I received from Fender Consumer Relations on July 2020, I found some elements to be somehow different than what we had in the previous known data.

Beetle has correctly spotted the discrepancy in regard of the alignment of years of production; there's more.

We can't access to Doc Brown's DeLorean and travel back in time, but we can take advantage of the available records and go from there.
To easy up the reading, I put together this side-by-side spec sheets referred to the original 1st run of Jagstang at Winter NAMM 1996 and the debut of the Reissue at Summer NAMM 2003:
Also, Wikipedia for extra references.

By comparing old VS recent spec sheets we get these dissonances:
Years of production: 1995-2001; 2003-2005 -VS- 1995 - 1/1999 ; 7/2003 - 1/2005;
Basswood body for the 1st run; Alder for the Reissue -VS- Basswood for 1st run AND Reissue;

For what concerns the pickups, whilst we have the same generic Vintage Style single coil (neck) as a constant in both old and recent specs sheets, the humbucker in the old specs goes from a generic one for the 1st run to a specific "Santa Ana Humbucking pickup (bridge)" for the Reissue.
On the other hand, in the recent spec sheets, there's no mention of said "Santa Ana" as the humbucker is a generic one is listed for both runs.

Of course, one could correctly argue that some of these differences are negligible but what I'm seeing here is that while on the recent list they improved the details, there's one specific bit of information that should have been already there at that point and yet is missing in the old spec sheet of the Reissue which -curiously- is instead present on the more recent one.
It could be nothing, but it's there.
The specific line that hooked my attention is the voice in the recent spec sheet of the Reissue which states:
"Other Features: Morphed Jaguar/Mustang Body"

We all know from the start that the JAG-STANG fits that description in whichever stage of development and production, but we also learnt that at some point in time, the production model definitely undergone a shape modification, so... what are the odds that this "other feature" is referred to that specific event?
Just food for thoughts...

For what concerns the Santa Ana humbucker, there's not much information around and the ones I've found aren't definitive.
I can put this extra bit for reference though:

Another guitar equipped with the Santa Ana humbucker is the Fender Squier Showmaster H

All the above carries the questions:
Which specs should we consider accurate?
Are the Reissues made of Alder or are all made of Basswood?
Are the Reissues really equipped with the Santa Ana humbucker?

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Something else to take note of with the first issues as well, they came out of 2 different factories.

They started in FujiGen and until operations were moved to Tokai at some point in 1996. Red 2.0's neck plate is a Tokai neck plate.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:05 pm

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:31 pm
I'll see what I can do when I get that far. Progress is super slow on them right now. Still in template phase. But I've had a lot going on these last couple years. Been a care taker and fighting with health issues some myself. But if you don't mind a bit of a wait, I'd be willing to build you one when I get it settled. I'll only charge for cost of materials and shipping. Sound good?
That would rock!
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri May 28, 2021 11:28 am

Just re-read this since following it from the start. Best thread I’ve ever seen on a board. Thank you so much. Fascinating & informative 👏 👏 👏

(A few pictures of my old jagstang that I sold to friend in the early 00s. I both miss it & don’t miss it all at once)

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

xtremlockx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by xtremlockx » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:46 am

I know I’m coming into this conversation very late, but I have one of the very early Jagstangs (#5 on the Jagstang registry) . Please let me know if I can be of help. Thanks

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:24 am

@ sal paradise - Thanks for your kind words.

@ xtremlockx - Thank you. I'll send you a private message later today, maybe there's one thing I'd like to check-out.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:00 am

Well, it looks like a Fender-branded MIM reissue is up on Fender's site:

https://www.fender.com/en-US/electric-g ... 30372.html

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:17 pm

It's nice to see it available left handed again too.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:40 pm

If one filters the Fender site for 2021 lefty options, it sits pretty nicely in the mix. I hope it has a Renaissance. I'm in the queue for a Sonic Blue righty.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:08 am

I found the pickup info to be interesting. They dropped a vintage single coil in the neck but made a custom humbucker for the model. They did, however, wire it exactly like a mustang, just like kurt had recieved it. The neck specs appear to be production standard. Kind of an interesting reissue.

Unfortunately, she's out of my price range, even if I wanted one.

I am curious to hear Amon's input on the reissues

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:06 pm

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:08 am
I found the pickup info to be interesting. They dropped a vintage single coil in the neck but made a custom humbucker for the model. They did, however, wire it exactly like a mustang, just like kurt had recieved it. The neck specs appear to be production standard. Kind of an interesting reissue.

Unfortunately, she's out of my price range, even if I wanted one.

I am curious to hear Amon's input on the reissues

Since you're asking, my friend....

I refrained from commenting this new entry because, frankly, -in sheer honesty- I'm kind of disappointed by this reissue.
Of course, I nonetheless appreciate the effort of the new tweaked version but still, I feel like it's a missed opportunity to get something more appealing (if you know what I mean :ph34r: ).

A few years ago, during the Fender Hollywood Grand Opening Sep 22, 2016 , we've got this hint of a new version that already displays a correctly cantered pickguard and a reshaped lower body section:
... and yet, we could see it was flawed with the wrong control plate, mismatched black switches/white generic pickups, a jaguar neck and so on...
So, sure, given that a reissue was already being requested, it was nice to see Fender being at work on the subject but, for some reason, no further news followed the event and the Jagstang disappeared from the radar.

In the meantime, during this project we came to know that the actual final & Kurt-approved JAG-STANG was shaped like what we've been familiarized as "the blue prototype", so one can already guess what is my idea of the kind of proper reissue I & many other among us would have expected at this point.

Then I saw this, the NEW REISSUE (for the sake of continuity I've labelled "3rd gen"):

My instant reaction was a facepalm propelled by the sight of the newcomer.
Then I scouted throughout the changes I've put in the picture's description (also, it's shaped differently than the 2016 Jagstang).
Fender played safely by keeping the orthodoxy of the old familiar shape & colours along with a few minor cosmetics tweaks, nothing I find anywhere appealing.
....THEN I SAW THE PRICE... , I'd just quote your own words: "Unfortunately, she's out of my price range, even if I wanted one."

Truth to be told, my real and true curiosity nowadays resides in how Blue 1.0 looks today.
I hope we get the chance to see some hi quality shots for the celebration of Nevermind's 30th Anniversary.