Anyone have firebird/mini-hums in their Jaguar?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone have firebird/mini-hums in their Jaguar?

Post by JamesSGBrown » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:10 pm

papa_hotel_delta wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 pm
I hate threads like this. . .just when I had thinned the herd down to 4.

I've lusted for a firebird since highschool, then when I played a few I was somewhat discouraged by the ergonomics.

I had been cooking up a plan for another Partguar and I was intending to try a set of Kinmans but the FB thing just seems so obvious and desirable.
You and me both. Down the rabbit hole we go.

I figure if a guitar feels good you can probably make it sound 90% anyway you want, construction caveats withstanding.

Guy Guyatone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guy Guyatone » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Not a Jag, but close. I put three generic minihumbuckers in my Warmoth split Jazzmaster:

Sounded good but the third pickup just got in the way.
Flippism is the Key

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:17 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:08 am
Mine were made by Fab at D'Urbano Magnetics (aka Mr. Fabulous on his web site). He sells on Reverb and direct, and sometimes one location will have a sale the other doesn't. I paid about $100 CAD (about $75 USD) each for mine, and they're awesome. I'd love to hear a set of Lollars or Fralins some day, but they're literally double the price and I can't see that being worth it given how amazing these D'Urbanos sound.

He also makes a FB-sized pickup called the Phoenix that is a noiseless single coil-sounding design, so you could put one of those in the neck with a FB in the bridge if you're worried about the neck position sounding too thick.

I just had to pop in and thank you for this post. I found it while googling Firebird pickups, and I was intrigued by this Phoenix pickup. I ordered a set consisting of a Phoenix in the neck and a Firebird in the bridge, and put them in one of the new Epiphone Wilshires (sorry, no Jaguar).
This pickup combo is fantastic! Both pickups sound great on their own, and they're perfectly balanced against each other, both in terms of output and tone. It's like having a beefed up Telecaster, minus the hum. Highly recommended!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:40 pm

mynameisjonas wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:17 am
I just had to pop in and thank you for this post. I found it while googling Firebird pickups, and I was intrigued by this Phoenix pickup. I ordered a set consisting of a Phoenix in the neck and a Firebird in the bridge, and put them in one of the new Epiphone Wilshires (sorry, no Jaguar).
This pickup combo is fantastic! Both pickups sound great on their own, and they're perfectly balanced against each other, both in terms of output and tone. It's like having a beefed up Telecaster, minus the hum. Highly recommended!
Awesome!! I'm glad to hear my prattling on occasionally actually helps someone :)

That's a gorgeous Epiphone and I'm glad you like the pickups. I'll take Firebirds over P90s any day of the week. I also really want to dissect a Phoenix and see what he did differently with the design.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:21 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:40 pm
That's a gorgeous Epiphone and I'm glad you like the pickups. I'll take Firebirds over P90s any day of the week.
Thanks! It may just be the honeymoon effect, but these are some of the best sounding pickups I have ever owned. I kinda want to put them in all of my guitars now. ;D
mbene085 wrote:
I also really want to dissect a Phoenix and see what he did differently with the design.
Yes, I'm rather curious about that too. I don't particularly want to rip it apart right now, but maybe curiosity will get the better of me eventually. Judging by how well it pairs with the FB-pickup, I wouldn't be surprised if it's basically a FB but with just one magnet.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:25 am

mbene085 wrote:
That's a gorgeous Epiphone...
Agreed. What a looker!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:51 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:25 am
mbene085 wrote:
Agreed. What a looker!
Thanks Mark! :)
I really like what Epiphone have been doing lately. I hope they keep bringing back more of their own designs of the past.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:36 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:51 am
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:25 am
mbene085 wrote:
Agreed. What a looker!
Thanks Mark! :)
I really like what Epiphone have been doing lately. I hope they keep bringing back more of their own designs of the past.
Not to derail the Firebird p/up thread but apparently Epiphone are siting on some designs that haven't even been made yet.
Also mention the new reissues of the Wilshire, Coronet and Crestwood (photo below of the new reissues):
“We’re sitting on a cache of blueprints and design files for items that were never even created.
We’ve revamped some of the old designs and they’re killer.
In my opinion, these new Epiphones are truly the best-value electric guitars.”

Whole article here:

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/ho ... late-1950s

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:59 pm

Another "not quite a Jag" post- I've installed a pair of D'Urbano Firebirds in my Jansen Jazzman. A very Jag/JM- inspired guitar, similar/different to both with its 24.75" scale. The pickups hide inside some original Jansen covers (same size as Dearmond Dynasonic). They definitely seem to be what I was after, but I think I let them down with my hasty installation, the 58 year-old electronics should have checked/ cleaned and maybe replaced while things were apart. :fp: There's some very slight treble loss which I'm sure isn't down to the pickups, I'll have to go back under the pickguard to sort the issue. Will report back when I've got things from 97 to 100%.
Watching the corners turn corners

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:46 pm

Musjagjazz wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:36 am

Whole article here:

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/ho ... late-1950s
That was a very good article, thanks.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.