Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Deadbe4r
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by Deadbe4r » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:52 pm

I've been digging through this thread, can't quite find what I'm looking for, so I made my own.

Can anyone verify this wiring works as a master series/parallel rotary switch. Its a 2 position 2 pole rotary switch.

My other question is whether the pickup selector switch will always work, or will engaging series override the whole thing? I'd like the pickup switch to always work and only have series/parallel switching while the 3 way toggle is in the middle position.

As for the numbered position, the numbers I have shown are how it actually is on my switch. 1 and 7 are pairs and 2 and 8 are pairs.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Deadbe4r wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:52 pm
I've been digging through this thread, can't quite find what I'm looking for, so I made my own.

Can anyone verify this wiring works as a master series/parallel rotary switch. Its a 2 position 2 pole rotary switch.
Should be fine, but it's past midnight locally ;)
Deadbe4r wrote:
My other question is whether the pickup selector switch will always work, or will engaging series override the whole thing? I'd like the pickup switch to always work and only have series/parallel switching while the 3 way toggle is in the middle position.
That rotary is basically identical to a dpdt toggle switch in functionality, so series will always take precedence over the pickup selector. With this wiring you don't have any dead spots as with some variations, though. I don't believe this is possible to achieve with a dpdt switch, and the three-way toggle switch itself might in some variations be enough to not make it possible, you'd need for the middle position lugs to be unconnected without soldering them together. Haven't really thought it through, but it's at least possible to achieve with a three way blade superswitch.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

Deadbe4r
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Deadbe4r » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:13 pm

bodhi wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:46 pm
Deadbe4r wrote:

Should be fine, but it's past midnight locally ;)
Deadbe4r wrote:
That rotary is basically identical to a dpdt toggle switch in functionality, so series will always take precedence over the pickup selector. With this wiring you don't have any dead spots as with some variations, though. I don't believe this is possible to achieve with a dpdt switch, and the three-way toggle switch itself might in some variations be enough to not make it possible, you'd need for the middle position lugs to be unconnected without soldering them together. Haven't really thought it through, but it's at least possible to achieve with a three way blade superswitch.
Thanks so much for taking a look! I am actually using a Gibson style toggle switch, so it does have separate lugs for the middle position. I just drew it as if they were pinched together and soldered out that way.

So, it may be technically possible to achieve my original goal. I'll take another crack at it with this new info in my mind, unless you're able to draw up something faster.

Thanks again.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:42 pm

Just a tip for people staring hard at their wiring diagram and wondering if it will do exactly what they want, with no unwanted side effects .... ;)

If your switching has say 4 positions, print out 4 copies of your wiring diagram. On each copy, use a highlight pen to draw over/highlight the wiring that is "in circuit" for one position of the switch. That should show you if you have any missing or unintended connections.

Drawing a schematic (circuit diagram) from your wiring diagram can also make the way the circuit will actually work easier to see. Designers actually usually start new designs with a schematic. Once you know it will work, you draw the wiring diagram from the schematic.
Last edited by timtam on Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:43 pm

timtam wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:42 pm
Just a tip for people staring hard at their wiring diagram and wondering if it will do exactly what they want, with no unwanted side effects .... ;)

If your switching has say 4 positions, print out 4 copies of your wiring diagram. On each copy, use a highlight pen to draw over/highlight the wiring that is "in circuit" for one position of the switch. That should show you if you have any missing or unintended connections.

Drawing a schematic (circuit diagram) from your wiring diagram can also make the way the circuit will actually work easier to see.
This. I've done things like this a few times to help figure out a schematic. It really helps!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:00 pm

bodhi wrote:

[...] you'd need for the middle position lugs to be unconnected without soldering them together. Haven't really thought it through, but it's at least possible to achieve with a three way blade superswitch.
Actually went through this on paper yesterday evening, and the type of three-way switch doesn't really matter. I can't think of a way to do a non-overriding series position no matter if you're using a dpdt or 3pdt toggle...

Deadbe4r
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Deadbe4r » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:58 pm

bodhi wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:00 pm
bodhi wrote:

[...] you'd need for the middle position lugs to be unconnected without soldering them together. Haven't really thought it through, but it's at least possible to achieve with a three way blade superswitch.
Actually went through this on paper yesterday evening, and the type of three-way switch doesn't really matter. I can't think of a way to do a non-overriding series position no matter if you're using a dpdt or 3pdt toggle...
Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion. Fun thought though. Thank you for the help.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:39 am

I'm trying to draw a new circuit for my neck single / bridge humbucker jazzmaster and I'm hitting a wall, is what I want to do even possible ?

I'd like to use the rhythm switch like this :
-a DOWN position with the normal volume and tone, and the 3 way going to neck pickup/neck pickup + split HB/split HB
-an UP position with the rythm side volume and tone rollers, and only the bridge pickup in full humbucker.

Is that even possible ? I know you only need one half of the DPDT switch to split a humbucker, but I'm not really sure if you can also use the rest of the poles to have what are mostly two separate circuits.

Thanks !
Last edited by Flurko on Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaga
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaga » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:14 am

I'd say that it is not possible with DPDT. There are, however, 3PDT and even 4PDT switches made by switchcraft, but I'm not sure if they will fit with existing DPDT switches.
Check out my videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/alexeyjaga

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:28 am

The Ultra jazzmaster uses the 4PDT Switchcraft 50212LX ...
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sw ... wqeg%3D%3D
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:39 am

Jaga wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:14 am
I'd say that it is not possible with DPDT. There are, however, 3PDT and even 4PDT switches made by switchcraft, but I'm not sure if they will fit with existing DPDT switches.
They will! At least the 3PDT will. They should be the same frame, so the 4PDT should too, but I actually have a 3PDT in hand for my JM upgrade and it definitely does fit. I emailed Switchcraft a month or two back on information. The part number is 50209lx (3PDT). The only difference is that the mounting holes aren't threaded like the standard switches. So, you'll need a nut with the screw as well.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:49 am

That's great, thanks for the info ! Now to decide if I wnat to order this specific switch or if I should stop ordering random guitar parts and figure out a logical and usable way to get the sounds i want with these pickups (neck, neck + split bridge, full bridge) with the parts I have (standard jazzmaster layout), without having to flip 3 switches to get from one usable sound to another..

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 am

Flurko wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:49 am
That's great, thanks for the info ! Now to decide if I wnat to order this specific switch or if I should stop ordering random guitar parts and figure out a logical and usable way to get the sounds i want with these pickups (neck, neck + split bridge, full bridge) with the parts I have (standard jazzmaster layout), without having to flip 3 switches to get from one usable sound to another..
What I would do there I think is 2 switches.m, instead of a 3-way toggle: 1 for humbucker split, 1 for 3-way duties.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:30 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 am
Flurko wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:49 am
What I would do there I think is 2 switches.m, instead of a 3-way toggle: 1 for humbucker split, 1 for 3-way duties.
I'm a fan of trying sounds out in a playing situation, so you could at least wire up a test rig with separate switches with what you have at hand. To see if the combos seem to work out, and perhaps if you need to tweak some values or add extra stuff...

tsturm
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tsturm » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:13 am

shaoweclipse13's wiring diargram of the dp3t switch above that starts with "Requested by Morrigaen" won't work, the ground wire for the pickup isn't grounded when in the top dark circuit position. Hopefully people aren't using it.

But, I found a solution. A Bass Cut will work on the OOP switch (because it doesn't require a ground). Here is my solution (i know the wire to the output jack doesn't need to go from the dp3t switch, but it also doesn't matter, thx ICBM for pointing this out & I forgot to ground point 1 on the tone push pull pot, be sure to do this or the coil won't split):