Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by timtam » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:16 pm

gibs wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:31 pm
Basically, lead circuit the same, but the DPDT switch would be used for series/parallel (using a 3 or 4pdt if necessary) but then use the rhythm circuit as volumes for each pickup. When series is activated. I realize that series probably makes this complicated (pretty straightforward in parallel though). So open to other possibilities. Kinda like the idea of one knob being a blend and the other a master volume, but I’m guessing finding a blend pot that fits the rhythm circuit bracket is pretty much impossible.
Not miles removed from the Ultra JM circuit. But series/parallel is on the S1 4PDT push-pull. Rollers are individual pickup volumes, but only in the OOP mode activated by the old rhythm circuit switch (now 4PDT). But that OOP flip on the bridge pickup, using the 3rd/4th poles of that 4PDT slide switch, could be omitted.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:54 pm

OK ShadowEclipse, I think I need your eagle eyes and wiring wiz skills...

I am putting together a two-pickup P-bass. Both pickups will be your typical P-type. I'd like to wire them Danelectro-style, with a three position selector with a series middle position. Since I'm not sure how boomy two P-bass pickups would sound in series, I'd like to have the option to add a capacitor in series with the pickups (ONLY in the middle position) to roll off some of that extra bass. Here's the simplest wiring I could think of, using a DPDT ON-OFF-ON switch. Does this look like it would work?

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:58 am

depend how work your switch (the inner contact) but seems to be workable
in this case with the on off on it will need sone brigde to put the mass at other contact ,and signal too ,could be more easy with on on on i think
https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas ... ot-basics/

normally this works (on on on)

>:( no don't work need to think more

2nd try

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:38 pm

ludobag1 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:58 am
depend how work your switch (the inner contact) but seems to be workable
in this case with the on off on it will need sone brigde to put the mass at other contact ,and signal too ,could be more easy with on on on i think
https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas ... ot-basics/

normally this works (on on on)

>:( no don't work need to think more

2nd try
Replying late - thank you Ludo! The switch in my diagram is your typical on-off-on DPDT, with the two outer lugs being connected with the inner lugs in the top & bottom position, and no connections in the middle position. I have a feeling that diagram *should* work, as it was inspired by this:

...and other Danelectro wirings that use on-off-on switches. The cap should be shorted along with each pickup in the top & bottom positions. However, I have learned not to trust myself with such things. Somehow my brain refuses to function properly when it comes to predicting what happens once everything is wired up :)

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:57 am

Hi Epi
don't confuse toggle and switch ,
toggle are designed to make connection between A pickup,b pickup ,or a and b
dpdt switch haven't the intern connection for this ,then you have to bridge ;)

you wiring with the DPDT on off ON can't work cause of the miss of connection ,to make a pups works you have to have the signal and the ground connect on it (if one miss it don't work)

with my 2nd try it can work (but a on on on is needed)it is not the most elegant solution (maybe miss a grounding for the pups unactivated )but no toggle switch allow you to make the serial connection (need a switch to make the serial )

the on off on don't inerconnect the tab on the same row ,it is like 2 single dpdt in one box activated at the same time then if you don't connect signal and ground on the 2 sides it don't work

maybe there is some toggle with the wright switching ? don't know ,but for standard part they are all the same and you need to make bridge to have what you want ;)

bigugly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bigugly » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 pm

Hey there!
I'm looking for help on something that I don't see anybody having documented on the forums here...

I'm trying to figure out how to swap out the pickup selector switch on my Jazzmaster for a Rotary switch, while also adding a bridge PU Strangle circuit to one of the positions. Never worked with a rotary switch before in a guitar, so I'm sort of mystified.

So basically:
Position 1: Neck
Position 2: Neck/Bridge
Position 3: Bridge
Position 4: Bridge (w/strangle)

Anybody know if this is do-able?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:22 am

bigugly wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 pm
Hey there!
I'm looking for help on something that I don't see anybody having documented on the forums here...

I'm trying to figure out how to swap out the pickup selector switch on my Jazzmaster for a Rotary switch, while also adding a bridge PU Strangle circuit to one of the positions. Never worked with a rotary switch before in a guitar, so I'm sort of mystified.

So basically:
Position 1: Neck
Position 2: Neck/Bridge
Position 3: Bridge
Position 4: Bridge (w/strangle)

Anybody know if this is do-able?
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Let me see what I can come up with.

On the rotary thing, they definitely can be complicated, but they aren't always. I always think of them as a blade switch in a different format. Obviously there are a bunch of different types (from single pole to 3 or even 4 pole, and variations on how many throws/positions they have). I took this directly from my first page here:
How to turn a funky 2-pole, 3-position rotary pot into a 3-way pickup selector. Here's how to wire it with pickup wires:
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

bigugly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bigugly » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:00 am

Awesome! Grateful for any help!

I get the pickup switching, but can't get my head around how to integrate the strangle cap. Seems like the only examples I can find with the rotary switch are either just pickup switching OR tone switching...

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 pm

A request for a recommendation rather than a fresh wiring diagram:

I did a series/parallel mod on my Jaguar a while ago, but something eventually broke (I blame my bad soldering) and I couldn't work out how to fix it. So when I've got a bit of free time on the horizon, I'll try to rewire it again.

Any recommendations for something fun to try? Pickups are Creamery Sonic 60s if that makes any difference.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:53 pm

Stephen_42 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 pm

I did a series/parallel mod on my Jaguar a while ago, but something eventually broke (I blame my bad soldering) and I couldn't work out how to fix it. So when I've got a bit of free time on the horizon, I'll try to rewire it again.

Any recommendations for something fun to try? Pickups are Creamery Sonic 60s if that makes any difference.
Sounds like a fun project!! I've never played/heard his Sonic 60s, but aren't they lipsticks?

What's the switch you have to work with for said mod recommendation? 2-way Jaguar slider, 3-way Mustang slider, push-pull/push-push pot, mini toggle?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:15 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:53 pm
Stephen_42 wrote:

Sounds like a fun project!! I've never played/heard his Sonic 60s, but aren't they lipsticks?

What's the switch you have to work with for said mod recommendation? 2-way Jaguar slider, 3-way Mustang slider, push-pull/push-push pot, mini toggle?
They're basically Burns Tri-sonics. Honestly, the main attraction was that they come in absolutely beautiful chrome covers with the oversize holes - it was the first time I'd ever done aftermarket pickups, so I thought I'd start with something that looks cool to work out what I like. And if Burns style pickups are good enough for Brian May, they're good enough for me. I wasn't disappointed!

As for the guitar, it's a Squier VM Jaguar so it has all the classic Jaguar switching. I don't really use the rhythm circuit much, so perhaps repurposing the upper control plate for something else might be a place to start?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:38 pm

Stephen_42 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:15 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:53 pm
Stephen_42 wrote:

They're basically Burns Tri-sonics. Honestly, the main attraction was that they come in absolutely beautiful chrome covers with the oversize holes - it was the first time I'd ever done aftermarket pickups, so I thought I'd start with something that looks cool to work out what I like. And if Burns style pickups are good enough for Brian May, they're good enough for me. I wasn't disappointed!

As for the guitar, it's a Squier VM Jaguar so it has all the classic Jaguar switching. I don't really use the rhythm circuit much, so perhaps repurposing the upper control plate for something else might be a place to start?
That sounds fantastic. I can personally attest to the fact that Jaime from The Creamery makes damn good pickups. That sounds like a lot of fun to play.

If you ARE thinking about junking the rhythm circuit, maybe check out a replacement upper plate from Faction! You could get rid of the plate to mount pots to, and get one for different switches or something.

Would you want to make the sound darker, brighter, both? Have weird switching options? Out-of-phase can be fun, especially if you're already into Brian May territory. Series-parallel is cool as well. We could do a few caps to make a pseudo-Gibson Varitone with single caps on switches.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 pm

Hello wiring gurus!

I have a project in mind that has kind of changed from original conception. I'm not good with wiring at all, so I am hoping someone can help me.

I have an affinity jazzmaster hh that I'm planning to turn into an HS. I intend to use a master volume and a master tone with .033 capacitor but no 3 way switch. I want to install a momentary kill switch and I would like to use a push pull on the volume control to switch between my humbucker and single coil. Initially, I intended to use a triple shot ring to give me a series/parallel option but the ring is now going to clash with my choice of pickguard.

Is it possible to make the volume control a pickup selector and be able to have a series/parallel option via a push pull tone control?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:26 am

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 pm
Hello wiring gurus!

I have a project in mind that has kind of changed from original conception. I'm not good with wiring at all, so I am hoping someone can help me.

I have an affinity jazzmaster hh that I'm planning to turn into an HS. I intend to use a master volume and a master tone with .033 capacitor but no 3 way switch. I want to install a momentary kill switch and I would like to use a push pull on the volume control to switch between my humbucker and single coil. Initially, I intended to use a triple shot ring to give me a series/parallel option but the ring is now going to clash with my choice of pickguard.

Is it possible to make the volume control a pickup selector and be able to have a series/parallel option via a push pull tone control?
That should be doable, as long as you don't want the middle position between the 2 pickups. And know that with that style pickup selector, you might have a dead spot (just one here) when in series mode.

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:49 am

Any thoughts on making a switch (using an S1 4pdt) to switch between the rhythm switch selecting neck only, and allowing the 3 way switch to work on the rhythm circuit?

Thought it would be a simple wiring job till a made my first attempt, realizing it’s a bit deeper than I initially thought. Ok also using a second S1 for series parallel (wired to 3 poles so as not to have any dead spots) so that makes things a little more interesting as well.