Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:03 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:26 am
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 pm
Hello wiring gurus!

I have a project in mind that has kind of changed from original conception. I'm not good with wiring at all, so I am hoping someone can help me.

I have an affinity jazzmaster hh that I'm planning to turn into an HS. I intend to use a master volume and a master tone with .033 capacitor but no 3 way switch. I want to install a momentary kill switch and I would like to use a push pull on the volume control to switch between my humbucker and single coil. Initially, I intended to use a triple shot ring to give me a series/parallel option but the ring is now going to clash with my choice of pickguard.

Is it possible to make the volume control a pickup selector and be able to have a series/parallel option via a push pull tone control?
That should be doable, as long as you don't want the middle position between the 2 pickups. And know that with that style pickup selector, you might have a dead spot (just one here) when in series mode.
I'm cool with not having the middle position. I find that I never play in that position anyway, I'm either on the bridge pickup or the neck.

What kind of dead spot would I be looking at? I imagine it would be a problem if I switched to the neck single while in series mode? I'm grasping at straws really. I'm dumb with electronics. Haha

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:13 pm

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:03 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 pm
Hello wiring gurus!

I have a project in mind that has kind of changed from original conception. I'm not good with wiring at all, so I am hoping someone can help me.

I have an affinity jazzmaster hh that I'm planning to turn into an HS. I intend to use a master volume and a master tone with .033 capacitor but no 3 way switch. I want to install a momentary kill switch and I would like to use a push pull on the volume control to switch between my humbucker and single coil. Initially, I intended to use a triple shot ring to give me a series/parallel option but the ring is now going to clash with my choice of pickguard.

Is it possible to make the volume control a pickup selector and be able to have a series/parallel option via a push pull tone control?
That should be doable, as long as you don't want the middle position between the 2 pickups. And know that with that style pickup selector, you might have a dead spot (just one here) when in series mode.
I'm cool with not having the middle position. I find that I never play in that position anyway, I'm either on the bridge pickup or the neck.

What kind of dead spot would I be looking at? I imagine it would be a problem if I switched to the neck single while in series mode? I'm grasping at straws really. I'm dumb with electronics. Haha
Depends on how the series portion is wired. If I’m remembering correctly, the first pickup in series uses the ground from the second pickup, so if the first pickup is selected while in series operation, there is no ground for it, thus creating a dead pickup when selected.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:00 pm

gibs wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:13 pm
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:03 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

Depends on how the series portion is wired. If I’m remembering correctly, the first pickup in series uses the ground from the second pickup, so if the first pickup is selected while in series operation, there is no ground for it, thus creating a dead pickup when selected.
Dang. I guess I'll give up on the series/parallel option and just use the push pull for pickup selection.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:07 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:38 pm
Stephen_42 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:15 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:53 pm

Sounds like a fun project!! I've never played/heard his Sonic 60s, but aren't they lipsticks?

What's the switch you have to work with for said mod recommendation? 2-way Jaguar slider, 3-way Mustang slider, push-pull/push-push pot, mini toggle?
They're basically Burns Tri-sonics. Honestly, the main attraction was that they come in absolutely beautiful chrome covers with the oversize holes - it was the first time I'd ever done aftermarket pickups, so I thought I'd start with something that looks cool to work out what I like. And if Burns style pickups are good enough for Brian May, they're good enough for me. I wasn't disappointed!

As for the guitar, it's a Squier VM Jaguar so it has all the classic Jaguar switching. I don't really use the rhythm circuit much, so perhaps repurposing the upper control plate for something else might be a place to start?
That sounds fantastic. I can personally attest to the fact that Jaime from The Creamery makes damn good pickups. That sounds like a lot of fun to play.

If you ARE thinking about junking the rhythm circuit, maybe check out a replacement upper plate from Faction! You could get rid of the plate to mount pots to, and get one for different switches or something.

Would you want to make the sound darker, brighter, both? Have weird switching options? Out-of-phase can be fun, especially if you're already into Brian May territory. Series-parallel is cool as well. We could do a few caps to make a pseudo-Gibson Varitone with single caps on switches.
I'm not specifically looking for either brighter or darker, so the option for both might be fun. Mostly, it's about trying new things and learning more about modifying guitars - this is very much my project, so very open to suggestions!

Looking at Faction, I saw they had a tailpiece with space for a behind the bridge pickup. I don't want to do anything non-reversible, but do you know if that's possible without extra routing? If so, that's definitely something I'd be up for incorporating.

Phase switching is definitely an idea (it's fun on Mustangs), and I liked the series/parallel option when I did manage to make it work so I'd be keen to keep that too.

But anyway, the main goal is to just have a fun project to work on, not necessarily to tick every box I've mentioned: so, any suggestions you think would be fun?

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:56 am

I'm wiring up a guitar with 3 Lindy Fralin Hum-canceling P90s, Steel Pole in the Neck and Bridge, and AlNiCo Pole in the middle, using a Stew Mac S-Type Megaswitch, which keeps everything in phase. how would I wire up a bourns DPDT Push Pull pot for the middle pickup tone control, to throw the phasing? so I can also get p90 x Strat tones with the middle pickup, if i want them?
Stew Mac has directions on how to wire up the pickups to the switch, but I'm lost after that.
https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas ... tructions/

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:13 am

Interesting idea, but probably not possible. I’m about to crack open my JM to add an S1 switch for series/parallel wired like the rothstien example with a 3pdt to eliminate any dead spots with the toggle switch).

I have 2 S1 switches, and originally wanted to use the second for Jaguar style bass cut. But I think I’m going to use my EQ pedal for that instead of an onboard control.

So here’s the new idea, I want to have the toggle switch work in the rhythm circuit, but I also like the ability to go from neck rhythm circuit, to lead bridge. So kinda like to have the second switch be for switching between stock and the toggle switch. For the life of me I can’t come up with a way to make that work, even with the 4 poles of the S1 switch. I’m leaning towards this not being possible at this point unless you have some ideas I can’t think of.

The alternate idea and would probable work, is to use the S1 activate a resistor in series with the tone control to simulate a 50k tone control (S1 will use a 500k as that’s the biggest value you can get it in, so not sure value resistor to use to get the same behavior out of it). Or to just switch between the tone control, and a 50k resistor to at least give me the rhythm circuit with the control all the way up. I think this would be the easiest way to do this.

bigugly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bigugly » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:12 am

bigugly wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:00 am
Awesome! Grateful for any help!

I get the pickup switching, but can't get my head around how to integrate the strangle cap. Seems like the only examples I can find with the rotary switch are either just pickup switching OR tone switching...
So, I was able to come up with this. 4 position, 3 pole rotary switches, Rhythm circuit maintains stock functionality and just repeats on extra positions, pickup selection is neck/neck bridge/bridge/bridge with strangle.

Unfortunately, it isn't working at all. Am I missing something?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:05 pm

I'm so sorry bigugly (that felt weird to say!), I told you I'd help with this, and let it slip by me. I actually was thinking about this the other day, and considering what you've already got, it might actually work. I was thinking about using your unused pole for the capacitor. Let me try to draw something quick tonight for that switch and see if it would work for you!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

bigugly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bigugly » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:58 pm

Thanks, any pointers are much appreciated.
Any idea on why this wouldn't work, though? I soldered it together last night and I'm getting no output, whatsoever, from any combination of switch selections.
I haven't gone through it yet to double check everything for continuity, but it looks ok at a glance. I'm just wondering if there's something fundamentally wrong with my design. Again, first time wiring up rotary switches... :wacko:

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:49 pm

Ended up getting a bit busy tonight, but I should have a few minutes to properly look it over at work tomorrow. At first glance, I feel like your pickup selector rotary is a little suspect. You've got 1 pickup hot wire going to one pole of the rotary, the other pickup hot wire to a 2nd pole of the rotary, and there's a jumper wire between them. I don't see how that would correctly, but I'll have to draw it out to properly wrap my head around it.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:52 am

So, I'm taking a look at this right now. What does the rhythm circuit rotary do? Just rhythm circuit on and off, or something else as well?

bigugly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bigugly » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:20 pm

Yeah just on/off. Since the rotary is 4 position, the extra positions are just supposed to repeat (instead of not being hooked up).

The rhythm circuit was the one source of head scratching when I started wiring in the rotary. The stock wiring on this Van Leeuwen JM is supposed to be a standard rhythm circuit. However, I did have to move a couple of wires around because it wasn't wired the way this diagram shows it (which is based off the Seymour duncan standard diagram)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:33 am

So, the rhythm switch isn't giving you any troubles?

Got a little more progress with this, and I think I have the pickup selector figured out. The jumpers on the outer lugs are definitely causing you problems. With the hot wire of each pickup going to the common lug of each pole, each of your pickups are always on on the 4 switchable lugs for their pole. I'm sure there are ways to do it that way, but it's probably simpler to use the common as an output. In this case, I'm gonna use the bridge pickup common as an output to the 3rd lug so you can use your capacitor. I should have it done today, and then I can post the picture tonight when I get home (because the Imgur mobile app sucks donkey balls).

bigugly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bigugly » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:40 am

I may have figured out why this isn't working.

I believe my original diagram makes the following assumption about the layout of the different sections of the rotary switch:

I finally busted out the multimeter last night and found that the switches I'm working with actually work like this:

Going to re-solder it up tonight to see if it works...

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:44 am

That's a good thing to figure out! Great catch! Let me know if it works or not!