Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by andy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:35 am

Looking for some advice...

Can you use a 4-way tele-style switch in a Stratocaster to get these pickup options:

1. Bridge
2. Middle
3. B & N
4. Neck

Any help is appreciated!
Send me western swing vids

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:42 pm

andy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:35 am

Can you use a 4-way tele-style switch in a Stratocaster to get these pickup options:

1. Bridge
2. Middle
3. B & N
4. Neck

Any help is appreciated!
Short answer is yes, the slightly longer answer (I'm doing this without a physical switch to actually verify with) is that you essentially only need one side of the 4-way tele switch for this, assuming master volume and tone.

The switch should work so that for each side (typically called A and B), you have one common lug and four other ones, one for each switch position. For each of the switch positions, it connects a specific lug and the common one. Now, in typical fashion, let's name our lugs; 0 is the common lug, and 1,2,3,4 are the different switch positions. Since we only need one side of this with master V/T, let's use A0 - A4.

Wire the switch as follows:

A0: this becomes the output, connect to volume and tone like in any two way wiring
A1: hot lead from bridge pickup
A2: hot lead from middle pickup
A3: add jumper wires from lugs A1 and A4 to this one for B & N
A4: hot lead from neck pickup

If you'd want multiple tone or volume knobs, then A0 should connect to the other side of the switch, but this is basically normal strat wiring territory as such, just without one of the lugs so maybe that would be enough of a lead?
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:49 pm

andy wrote:

1. Bridge
2. Middle
3. B & N
4. Neck

Any help is appreciated!
I feel like you'd need some kind of superswitch for that -- most of the 4-way Tele switches I know of are hardwired to be one pickup, both in parallel, the other pickup, both in series. They don't do much for 3 pickups, or for anything that isn't 1/1+2/2/1->2

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:49 pm
andy wrote:

1. Bridge
2. Middle
3. B & N
4. Neck

Any help is appreciated!
I feel like you'd need some kind of superswitch for that -- most of the 4-way Tele switches I know of are hardwired to be one pickup, both in parallel, the other pickup, both in series. They don't do much for 3 pickups, or for anything that isn't 1/1+2/2/1->2
Which ones are you thinking of? I'm not aware of any at all :) The only hardwired switches that come to mind are the Freeway blade switches, and I believe they are 3-way or 5-way with the additional up/down positions.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:54 pm

bodhi wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 pm
Which ones are you thinking of? I'm not aware of any at all :) The only hardwired switches that come to mind are the Freeway blade switches, and I believe they are 3-way or 5-way with the additional up/down positions.
The only kind I know is the bog-standard 4-way CRL-style switches like what Fender use on their Teles and on the MarrGuar -- they're basically a 3-way blade switch, with the same terminals and everything, but they have a 4th position that puts 1 and 3 into series instead of parallel like position 2. They're kinda like the non-M Schaller Megaswitches, in that all the connections are made a certain way and you can only really wire stuff up as long as they work with those connections, rather than like an Oak-Grigsby/Dmz or Schaller Megaswitch M, where you can mostly get away with whatever you want as long as you can make the wiring work.

OT, I forgot to measure before I bought my superswitch -- Oak-Grigsby -- and it's too tall for the cavity I want, even with the tabs bent a bit for clearance :fp:

I'm happy to take a dremel or a rusty blunt butterknife to the rout to get an extra 3mm of clearance or something, but before I take drastic measures, anybody have ideas for one that's a bit lower-profile? I just need N, N+M, N+B, M+B, B in positions 1-5, so I can probably get away with a Megaswitch E, which is nominally about 3mm shorter (conveniently just the clearance I need, and the same price as the O-G one was :squint: ).

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:09 am

I've been asked a question that I can't find the answer of, maybe someone can help?

Working on a project with a friend, he wants a particular wiring for his Strat. There's 3 pickups, all single coils, but he doesn't want any option to get a single pickup. With a 3-way switch, he wants those positions:"

1: neck and middle (series)
2: neck and bridge (series or parallel, whatever works)
3: middle and bridge (series)

Unless I missed something regarding the wiring, I can't find a switch that could make it work. Megaswitches for Tele doesn't seem to be good, and Strat switches have too many positions... Any help? Thanks!
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:11 am

I can convince him to forego the series wirings if necessaries, but he won't change his mind having two pickups on at all times, though. :w00t:
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:34 pm

Gordon wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:11 am
I can convince him to forego the series wirings if necessaries, but he won't change his mind having two pickups on at all times, though. :w00t:
Dimarzio had a wiring on their site a while back (it might have gotten lost when they redid it a year and a bit ago, so you might have to look at Wayback Machine) for 2 humbuckers with a Tele switch -- Neck (S), Neck + Bridge split (P), Bridge (S) -- that you could probably adapt to that setup without too much trouble.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:41 pm

Use the superstrat switch (4P5T) and block 2 positions from being accessible!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:16 pm

Futuron wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:41 pm
Use the superstrat switch (4P5T) and block 2 positions from being accessible!
For a long time there was no 3-way superswitch, but Goldo has one now ...
https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-advic ... way-switch
https://www.goeldo.de/en/luthier-s-work ... way-switch
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:04 am

Even better! Try this:

N+ to output, B- to ground.
position 1. N- to M+, M+ open, M- to ground
position 2. N- to B+, M+ open, M- open
position 3. N- open, M+ to output, M- to B+

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:52 am

timtam wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:16 pm
For a long time there was no 3-way superswitch, but Goldo has one now ...
https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-advic ... way-switch
https://www.goeldo.de/en/luthier-s-work ... way-switch
Oh, I missed this one... Looks doable! Thanks! :w00t:
Futuron wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:04 am
Even better! Try this:

N+ to output, B- to ground.
position 1. N- to M+, M+ open, M- to ground
position 2. N- to B+, M+ open, M- open
position 3. N- open, M+ to output, M- to B+
It'sgetting late here, I'll rereread this once my brain has rested a bit. :D Thanks! :w00t:

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:12 am

I think this one is a bit beyond me. My first thought was using a 3 humbucker Les Paul schematic for reference, but they are probably all just a 2-wire setup for each pickup, like a single coil.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Awesome thread @shadoweclipze13 I had an idea for a rhythm circuit mod for jazzmaster/Jaguar that I’m not sure is possible given the nature of the setup. Here’s the thread I started on it here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120040

Basically, lead circuit the same, but the DPDT switch would be used for series/parallel (using a 3 or 4pdt if necessary) but then use the rhythm circuit as volumes for each pickup. When series is activated. I realize that series probably makes this complicated (pretty straightforward in parallel though). So open to other possibilities. Kinda like the idea of one knob being a blend and the other a master volume, but I’m guessing finding a blend pot that fits the rhythm circuit bracket is pretty much impossible.

Also, perhaps if your ever up for it, would be cool to see a bunch of rhythm circuit mods posted in here, as there seems to be a lot people coming up with alternate uses for the rhythm circuit.

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:37 pm

gibs wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:31 pm
Awesome thread @shadoweclipze13 I had an idea for a rhythm circuit mod for jazzmaster/Jaguar that I’m not sure is possible given the nature of the setup. Here’s the thread I started on it here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120040

Basically, lead circuit the same, but the DPDT switch would be used for series/parallel (using a 3 or 4pdt if necessary) but then use the rhythm circuit as volumes for each pickup. When series is activated. I realize that series probably makes this complicated (pretty straightforward in parallel though). So open to other possibilities. Kinda like the idea of one knob being a blend and the other a master volume, but I’m guessing finding a blend pot that fits the rhythm circuit bracket is pretty much impossible.

Also, perhaps if your ever up for it, would be cool to see a bunch of rhythm circuit mods posted in here, as there seems to be a lot people coming up with alternate uses for the rhythm circuit.
Second thought, might be easier to setup the rhythm circuit as a typical lead circuit with 1 Meg pots setup as master volume and tone in parallel wit the 3 way selector switch enabled. Then push the DPDT down to enable series and use lead volume as a master volume, and master tone position with a blend pot to work essentially like a spin of split but instead of variably sending one coil to ground, it blends the bridge and neck coils to varying levels so that you can still have some humcancelling while having differing levels of output from each coil with the center detent being a 50/50 mix.