SHOW ME YOUR BURGUNDY MIST GUITAR

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
WSquires
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SHOW ME YOUR BURGUNDY MIST GUITAR

Post by WSquires » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:11 pm

finboy wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:28 pm
WSquires wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:14 am
Burgundy mist can look really different depending on the lighting, but here is a picture of my 2019 MIJ Fender Swinger reissue!

When did they start making these? I have a 6 saddle bridge for that if you ever want it
They began offering them for the Japanese market in 2019. They're an interesting reissue for sure. Offered at 24" scale unlike the originals which were 22.5"

WSquires
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WSquires » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:15 pm

Blitzwit wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:25 pm

Not the best pics, but here’s the Maverick I made for my friend. Maple neck, ebony fretboard with blocks and binding. Alder body, Novak FAT XII in bridge and Novak XII in neck. Wired with simple 3 way switch, cbs style headstock with F stamp tuning machines.
That is superb!! Have you made many Maverick's?Would love to check out more of your work if you have a website and/or IG account :)

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SHOW ME YOUR BURGUNDY MIST GUITAR (Incoming NGD)

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:15 am

So guys, here it is:
The Top Bound BMM beauty!
It arrived today. Staytrem parts on their way too…
So, I tried the various pickguards I had at home. Got some favourites - and others I thought 'd look good - but they don‘t (sorry Tortoise guards… an Avantguard would surely look better - but I just don‘t know for this one.
Swimming Pool Route was specified for a slanted Bridge PU… which should fit - but both Jon and I thought Humbuckers (or Mini Humbuckers/Firebirds should too) - well PAF sized humbuckers sadly don‘t… but better take away some wood than having to add.

Anyhow: I do like the white „blackguard“ and the Danelectro style hologram guard from UC3 (thank you, Marc!) most - along with the gold anodized and parchment (mint and tort are out for now). What do you think?

(Edit for pics)

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:32 am

My refin'd effort on my Squier CV '60s Jazzmaster. Gracey's Vintage Finishes Burgundy Mist is a bit darker than the norm - very plum-like, which I'm quite loving.

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:22 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:32 am
That‘s very nice looking! ❤️
Also how do you like the Vibrolux Reverb Amp? Which year is that from?
I‘m considering one of the new 68 custom ones…or a Deluxe Reverb from that series…because I freaking love dripedge aesthetics. But they are said to be very noisy.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:35 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:22 pm
Surfysonic wrote:
That‘s very nice looking! ❤️
Also how do you like the Vibrolux Reverb Amp? Which year is that from?
I‘m considering one of the new 68 custom ones…or a Deluxe Reverb from that series…because I freaking love dripedge aesthetics. But they are said to be very noisy.
Thanks! I have more pics and info in my last post of my "Opinions Please.." thread - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=122842

Well, since you asked! :P ...

I had a used '90-'95 Fender '63 Reissue Vibroverb amp that I used to gig with. Foolishly, I sold it after I "upgraded" to a Fender Vibro-King (3x10). I paid about $800 for it back around 2014 or so. Last year, I was really missing that 2x10 amp and was bummed to discovered that most of these '63 Reissue Vibroverb amps have shot up in cost around $1600 or more.

I then decided to have a look at the Fender "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb from the latter half of the '90s because prices for used ones were still reasonable. I don't know if all of them were problematic at production release but it's well known that they have issues such as hiss/lound hum, diminished to almost nonexistant reverb, etc. There are some amp mods out there that resolve the production issues, such as the Moyer Mods and Fromel Mods.

Unfortunately, I haven't located any tell tale date information re: exact year made. There's no two letter stamp code on the tube chart or anything.

I bought this one used from Guitar Center back in May 2021. Total cost was $742.64 after taxes & shipping. As expected, mine had the hissing/loud hum and basically non-functioning reverb. I got in touch with John Fromel in Seattle, WA and shipped out the chassis and safely packed tubes to him (wish I had checked to see if there were any date stamps in the chassis :derp: ). He applied his mods and recommendations:
Order summary
Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb Mods - Black Panel Creme Knob × 1
Have us install $265.95

Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb Transformer Upgrades × 1
Output - 8ohm tap, FBFVO-40 $122.00

Transformer Install × 1 $30.00

Subtotal $417.95
Shipping $45.00
Total $462.95 USD
For me, the extra cost and hassle was worthwhile as it's now a fantastic amp. Total cost was $1205.59. If you don't want to deal with the extra hassle, try to find one with the mods already installed or have your local amp tech to apply the mods. I would have used Big Crunch Amp Repair in Baltimore for doing it but I didn't know about Big Crunch at the time. Sending it out to John Fromel worked for me - YMMV if all that's required is worth it.

I see a most likely non-modded one at Guitar Center for $799.99 and more on Reverb (1@ $650 local pickup and others from $900 - $1549).

I have no experience with the resissued '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb amps (2013-2018 production) but I haven't heard or read of any issues like my mid-90's production. Others can speak to their quality and reliability. I've only generally heard decent things about these silverface '68 reissue line of Fender amps.

Last May, I caved to my obsessive longing and bought another used Fender '63 Reissue Vibroverb (in Mojo Tone cabinet) for $1746 (incl tax & shipping). Still, it's a different sounding beast compared to the Vibrolux, so I have two fun 2x10 Fender amps. Costly, yet worth it to quiet the gear-obsessed voices in my head. :wacko:

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:25 am

Surfysonic wrote:
My refin'd effort on my Squier CV '60s Jazzmaster. Gracey's Vintage Finishes Burgundy Mist is a bit darker than the norm - very plum-like, which I'm quite loving.

A new set of Fender American Vintage '65 Jazzmaster Witch Hat Knobs arrived today.

naught
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by naught » Fri May 05, 2023 3:42 pm

50th Anniversary Jaguar
The tailpiece position is perfectly fine despite what I had read on this forum. This guitar plays like a dream and is dead quiet.

Blitzwit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Blitzwit » Sun May 14, 2023 12:50 am

That is superb!! Have you made many Maverick's?Would love to check out more of your work if you have a website and/or IG account :)
Thanks! Very kind of you to say. I don’t yet, but I will in the future. My regular handle is @blitzwit. But when or if I ever do guitars for more than a hobby I definitely will

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Sun May 14, 2023 1:05 am

Here's my Bronc-Stang-Jag build!

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Sun May 14, 2023 4:22 am

naught wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:42 pm
50th Anniversary Jaguar
The tailpiece position is perfectly fine despite what I had read on this forum. This guitar plays like a dream and is dead quiet.
I agree fully and have both a 50th Anni and traditional Jags. I did install PV65s in mine, however.

Back on track - Lots of beautiful BMM guitars in this thread! The Burgundy Mist Metallic is what initially drew me to my 50th Anni Jag. It's an absolutely gorgeous color IMO that looks great on the swoopy shape of Jag/JM!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun May 14, 2023 7:13 pm

naught wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:42 pm
50th Anniversary Jaguar
I’m a vintage spec guy, but I don’t mind the vibrato position on the 50th/CP Jags/JMs. I moved a CP Jag I had back in 09, because it did bother me at the time. I was admittedly being a vintage corksniffer, and I really miss that Jag. It played so well and sounded awesome.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

ragamuffin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ragamuffin » Mon May 15, 2023 3:13 am

This is my Albert Lee style build. I shaped the body from a Warmoth pre-routed body blank and sent it off to a Warmoth forum member who did a lovely job on the nitro burgundy mist finish!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:03 am

My guitar has lived through many different phases (faces as in looks) this last year.

First: Blacktop guard with HB-sized Firebird pickups
(Sadly the guard is waaaay too white for me and won‘t „age“ in coffee or tea - also the pickups are a bit much on it (they sound amazing though) - didn‘t even bother to take a photo with the regular Jag/Humbucker guard I have… it wasn‘t on there for very long (but the reason for this was a faulty pickup)

Went on to Jaguar Pickups in the meantime…

Squier CV Tortoise guard - one day I might get the real deal cellulose Tortoise from AvantGuard, Lava Guard, Pickford Guard or Spitfire (well, one of them) - but not sure whether for Jag or JM or something custom.

Danelectro inspired „Space Swirl“ Drum-Wrap under a clear guard
Thanks again to Mark/UC3
I‘m thinking about making a bigger guard with the same material - like the Blacktop - just with singles. And keep thinking that the Danelectro guards have this black „frame“ - which might be white instead for this build. But not sure how to do it…what colour to use, cutting a channel for it or not,…etc.

And more recently:

Parchment guard - because it allows for the Fender Mute that I always wanted to try (and hence this body was already drilled for it, this was the easiest way to try it. But not all the guards allow for it.

Also I was bugged by the only black components: the mute-foam and the (fake) roller wheels - and so I used window-sealing rubber instead. Low E-string wasn‘t muted properly with the original and neither with the rubber alone - so I put something in it to fill and stiff it up a little.

American Pro Bridge with the wider spacing works with the Mastery Vibrato - didn‘t work with the Japanese Vibrato on my white Squier… so for now (until my next Staytrem shipment arrives) it may stay a little.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:40 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:03 am
My guitar has lived through many different phases (faces as in looks) this last year.

First: Blacktop guard with HB-sized Firebird pickups
(Sadly the guard is waaaay too white for me and won‘t „age“ in coffee or tea - also the pickups are a bit much on it (they sound amazing though) - didn‘t even bother to take a photo with the regular Jag/Humbucker guard I have… it wasn‘t on there for very long (but the reason for this was a faulty pickup)

Went on to Jaguar Pickups in the meantime…

Squier CV Tortoise guard - one day I might get the real deal cellulose Tortoise from AvantGuard, Lava Guard, Pickford Guard or Spitfire (well, one of them) - but not sure whether for Jag or JM or something custom.

Danelectro inspired „Space Swirl“ Drum-Wrap under a clear guard
Thanks again to Mark/UC3
I‘m thinking about making a bigger guard with the same material - like the Blacktop - just with singles. And keep thinking that the Danelectro guards have this black „frame“ - which might be white instead for this build. But not sure how to do it…what colour to use, cutting a channel for it or not,…etc.

And more recently:

Parchment guard - because it allows for the Fender Mute that I always wanted to try (and hence this body was already drilled for it, this was the easiest way to try it. But not all the guards allow for it.

Also I was bugged by the only black components: the mute-foam and the (fake) roller wheels - and so I used window-sealing rubber instead. Low E-string wasn‘t muted properly with the original and neither with the rubber alone - so I put something in it to fill and stiff it up a little.

American Pro Bridge with the wider spacing works with the Mastery Vibrato - didn‘t work with the Japanese Vibrato on my white Squier… so for now (until my next Staytrem shipment arrives) it may stay a little.
Beautiful, where did you get the HB sized Firebird pickups from?
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen